Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 28, 2012, 10:46 Verno

I know PeterB is really pro-Microsoft but that Ars article is borderline cheerleading, an inaccurate headline with the fineprint later on. They did not sell 40 million licenses to end users and the numbers are well below Windows 7. It should also be noted that Windows 8 is typically selling at $15-40 right now compared to 2-3x the price for Windows 7.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 09:33 Beamer

PHJF wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 09:20:
Human body could power smartphones, pacemakers and other devices

Does "other devices" include armies of malicious robots/AIs?

This isn't requiring us to eat more, it's just using the excess energy that's wasted.

I should think the sheer amount of energy wasted everywhere else in life, from my heatbox of a computer to my shitty car to my poorly insulated house, far surpasses the meager extra calories I could offer.

You're right about that, and plenty of companies are looking into it, but since your house and your car aren't regularly with you it's pointless, eh? Can't power a pacemaker with your house.

It's weird that you guys are pushing back with "there are better ways" or "this isn't green." This is looking at a problem: there are many devices on you regularly, some of which are very difficult to get to (e.g., attached to your damn heart) which need energy. At the same time, your body produces a lot of excess energy that goes nowhere. It seems like an easy solution. Even if we're not producing enough energy to permanently power a Pacemaker we can probably extend the lifespan of the battery considerably. And having something in your shoes, or wherever, that takes some of the energy of you walking to power a device in your pocket longer is a no-lose situation.

Yes, there are other forms of lost energy that are of a much high magnitude, but they aren't permanently with you. And yes, the human body isn't particularly efficient, but this isn't using the body to create more energy, it's using energy the body is already creating but not using.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 09:20 PHJF

Human body could power smartphones, pacemakers and other devices

Does "other devices" include armies of malicious robots/AIs?

This isn't requiring us to eat more, it's just using the excess energy that's wasted.

I should think the sheer amount of energy wasted everywhere else in life, from my heatbox of a computer to my shitty car to my poorly insulated house, far surpasses the meager extra calories I could offer.

The only thing that would make sense to me is a kinetic-powered MP3 player because seriously my Zune has awful battery life and I run every weekday.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 07:57 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 03:05:
Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 00:12:
You're nuts. Walking is, technically, a completely green resource. We're doing it anyway, so why not get additional energy out of it? As for shirts that harness our heat? Bring it on. Again, we're creating that heat anyway, depending on where we live at least half the time without wanting it. Lower your AC bill AND charge your phone!

For non-phone devices already in you, such as a pacemaker, this is a no-brainer.

Exercise is necessary and important, but it's hardly green. It takes god-awful amounts of fossil fuels to produce modern food, which is then burned when we exercise. If you have a fairly efficient car it's almost the same amount of energy to drive it than to walk.

But I agree, as long as we're walking and creating body heat, we may as well harness that energy.

The creation isn't green, but we're creating it anyway.

That's what makes it green.

-------------

11. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 07:54 Bhruic

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 02:29:
I am not talking about "does it work" because I know you can charge devices this way.. I am talking about that this is the absolutely most inefficient way to produce electricity there is. There is no worse way to generate electricity than this. ;P

And who cares? You're acting like the energy isn't going to be generated anyway - but it is. Right now it's just being used for, well, nothing. So finding a way to use it for something productive is a step up regardless of how inefficient it is.

10. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 07:33 gray

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 02:29:
...I just don't see this as something I'd ever want...

I take your point but as someone with real world first hand experience of pacemakers/defibrillators this technology is an absolute godsend, having the ability to recharge/replace batteries without requiring life threatening heart surgery every five years is phenomenal.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 28, 2012, 06:47 Julio

Win 8 also sold for a fraction of the price of Windows 7. So even what isn't sitting around as inventory didn't really generate much cash.

There's a reason the Win8 guy was fired. Of course Microsoft replaced him with the ribbon genius, so there's nowhere to go but down.

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 28, 2012, 05:04 DukeFNukem

***NEWSFLASH***

Microsoft sells 40 million licenses of Windows 8 in the first month.

***NEWSFLASH UPDATE***

36 million of those licenses are sitting on unsold desktops, laptops, and tablets as inventory in warerhouses across the United States.

Stop trying to bull**** people. It can sell 100 million copies in 3 days. I still wouldn't want it. I still wouldn't buy it.

***NEWSLFASH UPDATE***
Microsoft continues to try and coerce people to upgrade to their shitty "Window 8" operating system buy making life miserable for people who won't upgrade. Now they have taken their "Desktop Gallery" offliine.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/personalize/gadgets

The reason? "Because we want to focus on the exciting possibilities of the newest version of Windows, the Windows website no longer hosts the gadget gallery."
Translation? "We know Windows 8 sucks but if we do everything we can to make life miserable for Windows 7 users by not offering a Service Paack 2 and by taking stuff off line for no ****ng reason other than to be complete ***holes, we think you will want to eventually upgrade."

Keep on pushing me Microsoft...if I get pushed anywhere it will be to a Linux distribution...not your piece of **** schizophrenic desktop/tablet OS...you bunch of ***holes!

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2012, 06:13.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

7. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 03:05 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 00:12:
You're nuts. Walking is, technically, a completely green resource. We're doing it anyway, so why not get additional energy out of it? As for shirts that harness our heat? Bring it on. Again, we're creating that heat anyway, depending on where we live at least half the time without wanting it. Lower your AC bill AND charge your phone!

For non-phone devices already in you, such as a pacemaker, this is a no-brainer.

Exercise is necessary and important, but it's hardly green. It takes god-awful amounts of fossil fuels to produce modern food, which is then burned when we exercise. If you have a fairly efficient car it's almost the same amount of energy to drive it than to walk.

But I agree, as long as we're walking and creating body heat, we may as well harness that energy.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 02:29 eRe4s3r

Going to work is exactly why this system is pointless imo...... do you move a lot during work? I don't.. only to get coffee. It is simply as it is. Food to Energy conversion is terribly inefficient (which is really why the MATRIX trilogy is complete nonsense ;p).

And before you tell me that you enjoy exercise, you add 2kg to your weight, you need to spend the equivalent power to move that 2kg however you want it to. You are making a net-loss in energy to carry 2kg to charge a peace maker..

I am not talking about "does it work" because I know you can charge devices this way.. I am talking about that this is the absolutely most inefficient way to produce electricity there is. There is no worse way to generate electricity than this.

Biochemical electricity MIGHT work if we are implanted with a conversion unit that has high efficiency and requires LITERAL energy food bars for 90% or more efficiency. See Ghost in the Shell or Deus EX. But movement energy or heat energy conversion with a human being as platform??..... Yikes

I just don't see this as something I'd ever want. Give me a new battery that lasts 10 years and can be charged with bio-chemical conversion processes (fuel cells, essentially)....

5. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 01:33 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 23:42:
What comes out, must come in.

You are replacing electricity with inefficient food energy conversion. So someone please fire these researchers. The last thing we need is "energy" food that we have to eat just to keep our heart beating or smart-phone working. I mean, I can't be the only one who has seen enough sci-fi to know why this is a bad bad bad extremely bad super mega bad idea.. right?

You're right that electric generation is a more efficient way to charge your devices. For example, much electricity is produced using natural gas turbines which operate at inefficiencies over 50%. Even with some slight losses due to transporting the electricity, you're burning 2 cals of gas to produce 1 cal of electricity. Modern agricultural techniques spend about 10 cals of fossil fuel on average to produce 1 cal of food. So electricity is definitely more efficient.

However, human beings don't sit around minimizing calorie usage all day. We go to work, go shopping, visit friends, etc. Not only that, but exercise has all sorts of benefits: increased mental acuity, strengthened immune system, denser bones, improved mood, etc. So we should be exercising daily. As long as we are in motion, it's extremely convenient to use that motion to simultaneously charge our phones, or pacemaker, or whatever. And even if that involves toting around a 2 pound piezoelectric generator to charge our tablet, that extra weight just means better exercise.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 28, 2012, 00:23 SirKnight

Since I recently bought a 2 TB hard-drive for Linux and put Ubuntu on it, since I have so much free space I think tomorrow I'll install Fedora and Mint. Triple boot linux FTW!

It's been a long time since I ran Fedora. I was a big fan of Red Hat back in the day which basically became Fedora.

Now if Valve would hurry and give me Steam for Linux.

Take THAT Win8 sales.

3. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 00:12 Beamer

-------------

2. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 00:07 LittleMe

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 23:42:

You are replacing electricity with inefficient food energy conversion. So someone please fire these researchers. The last thing we need is "energy" food that we have to eat just to keep our heart beating or smart-phone working. I mean, I can't be the only one who has seen enough sci-fi to know why this is a bad bad bad extremely bad super mega bad idea.. right?

Exactly. And what about dead people or more specifically, zombies.. The phones won't work for them??

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

1. Human body.. Nov 27, 2012, 23:42 eRe4s3r

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo