Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dishonored DLC Next Month

The Bethesda Blog announces plans to release Dunwall City Trials on December 11th for Windows and consoles, offering new content for Dishonored, Arkane's assassination game. They offer a slideshow of screenshots from the DLC, and here's word on what it will offer from its announcement:

Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials, being released in December for $4.99 (or 400 Microsoft Points), will include 10 challenge maps that will test and track your combat, stealth and mobility skills. Ten distinct trials await challengers – including an arena battle against waves of enemy AI, a gravity-defying run of drop assassinations, and a race against the clock. Dunwall City Trials also features a whole new set of achievements and trophies as well as a global online leaderboard that will establish the greatest assassins for each challenge.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 28, 2012, 11:22 Creston

Apparently Dishonored is selling like mad so expect more Dishonored games.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 28, 2012, 00:45 Jerykk

Asmo wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 00:22:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 23:32:
Asmo wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 18:38:
It's sad that the game is so damn short because I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I guess I'm getting value for money playing ghost/non-lethal (side note, wish there was an absolute way to check if you've breached either condition before the end of each section), but it feels like there's a bunch of untapped potential that will either end up as DLC or a sequel.

Compare this to the sprawling Assassin's Creed games (which admittedly have a lot of timewasters added), just seems like a bit of a cynical ploy to wring money out of the customers (*surprise surprise*)

The game isn't short at all. I put about 40 hours into it. If you're actually ghosting, exploring every nook and cranny, reading every book and note, listening to every NPC conversation, collecting every piece of loot, etc, the game takes significantly longer to complete.

Also, ghosting is not the same thing as non-lethal. Ghosting means you don't neutralize anyone or anything, whether through lethal or non-lethal means. Knocking someone out is functionally the same as killing them. You're still removing them as a threat. Conversely, keeping them alive and conscious completely changes how you go through any given level.

Umm, ghosting as per the game assessment at the end of a level is not getting spotted (red lightning bolts) by anyone, not a touch free game. I've ghosted the first 3 missions so far and knocked out a lot of people. You can even get a full set of white lightning bolts without failing the ghost requirement (darted one of the two guys guarding the merchant in the first assassination mission, then choked the second).

Mad respect if you can manage a non lethal on the first assassination mission without knocking him out though, he didn't seem like he wanted to walk to the chair on his own... ; )

The game uses the wrong definition of ghosting. DX:HR did the same. As for the first assassination mission, you're right, you can't complete the mission without killing or knocking the target out. That said, if a mission explicitly requires you to kill or knock someone out, it's okay to do so without compromising the definition of ghosting. However, killing/knocking out guards and NPCs when it's possible to sneak past them means you aren't ghosting (by the generally accepted stealth definition, not the in-game one). It's actually possible to sneak past every enemy and NPC throughout the whole game except for the intro level (or for any objectives that explicitly require it). Doing so is pretty time-consuming, though (hence the 40 hour playthrough).

25. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 28, 2012, 00:22 Asmo

Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 23:32:
It's sad that the game is so damn short because I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I guess I'm getting value for money playing ghost/non-lethal (side note, wish there was an absolute way to check if you've breached either condition before the end of each section), but it feels like there's a bunch of untapped potential that will either end up as DLC or a sequel.

Compare this to the sprawling Assassin's Creed games (which admittedly have a lot of timewasters added), just seems like a bit of a cynical ploy to wring money out of the customers (*surprise surprise*)

The game isn't short at all. I put about 40 hours into it. If you're actually ghosting, exploring every nook and cranny, reading every book and note, listening to every NPC conversation, collecting every piece of loot, etc, the game takes significantly longer to complete.

Also, ghosting is not the same thing as non-lethal. Ghosting means you don't neutralize anyone or anything, whether through lethal or non-lethal means. Knocking someone out is functionally the same as killing them. You're still removing them as a threat. Conversely, keeping them alive and conscious completely changes how you go through any given level.

Umm, ghosting as per the game assessment at the end of a level is not getting spotted (red lightning bolts) by anyone, not a touch free game. I've ghosted the first 3 missions so far and knocked out a lot of people. You can even get a full set of white lightning bolts without failing the ghost requirement (darted one of the two guys guarding the merchant in the first assassination mission, then choked the second).

Mad respect if you can manage a non lethal on the first assassination mission without knocking him out though, he didn't seem like he wanted to walk to the chair on his own... ; )

24. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 23:32 Jerykk

23. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 23:07 Jerykk

In the context of what I was saying, challenge maps are a copout from adding new content; i.e. branching story or different perspective ala Half-Life Opposing Force/Blueshift. Honestly don't care how common they are it's just a quicker release. It's more of a moneyplay for people who just buy dlc site unseen. There are people who just want to mash buttons and there are people who want to be entertained and/or learn something along the way.

Just because DLC focuses on gameplay rather than story doesn't make it inherently bad. The map pack for Mirror's Edge was great. Comparing new levels to horse armor is ridiculous, as maps take significantly longer to create than armor.

22. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 22:30 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 13:49:
netnerd85 wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 13:21:
Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 12:02:
Prez wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:39:
I prefer missions that incorporate into the main campaign myself, as in a lot of the downloadable stuff for the Mass Effect games for example. I never really touched the challenge maps in the Batman games, which is what this appears to be similar to. I guess it's a personal preference thing. Once I am done with the main story I am generally done with the game (until I replay it anyway).

This. Just give me a new story to play out thanks. Challenge maps? Bitch Please.
Fixed that for you.

I don't really say bitch. It's not part of my idiom. Cunt, on the other hand...
That's just not a friendly word at all

21. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 19:45 nin

Prez wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 19:03:
The ending had a certain CLOSURE (do you get it, I'm actually spelling it out here for you). It prevents certain story possibilities which could have taken place, in expansions.

No matter how final the ending, story-based content is always possible I think. Mass Effect added story missions that happened before the ending for example.

As did DX:Missing Link.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 19:03 Prez

The ending had a certain CLOSURE (do you get it, I'm actually spelling it out here for you). It prevents certain story possibilities which could have taken place, in expansions.

No matter how final the ending, story-based content is always possible I think. Mass Effect added story missions that happened before the ending for example.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 18:55 Acleacius

....I guess I'm getting value for money playing ghost/non-lethal (side note, wish there was an absolute way to check if you've breached either condition before the end of each section), but it feels like there's a bunch of untapped potential that will either end up as DLC or a sequel...
They have to actually see you, when they do it causes them to come after you. There are specific sounds that occur and 3 stage Light Icon over their head. Just save your game and test exposing yourself to get used to the sound. If all three horizontal rows of lights, light up they have defiantly seen you iirc, plus you get the symbolic sound effect.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

18. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 18:38 Asmo

17. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 18:36 Acleacius

Zyrxil wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 13:40:
You're completely rambling. First you complain that they designed new maps for this DLC instead of using it for story DLC,
Yes, and this seems rambling too you?
then you say it's a quick release ala Horse Armor,
No, I mentioned it was a quick release compared to story based expansion (your having a tough time with this one). The Horse Armor was clearly an example to show a difference in expectations of expansions versus dlc. No way you could have missed the point.
and finally you mention the ending again claiming to have explained things without actually saying anything.
If you don't understand why the ending prevents a lot of variation in story based content then nothing I say will change your rambling perceptions.

If you think challenge maps are quite common, then you most likely were not a gamer pre-Horse Armor. Challenge content would only be considered common in a very short span of gaming history.

See if this is any clearer for you. Yes, I'm disappointed they are releasing maps based on a gimmick of challenges, instead of story based content. The ending had a certain CLOSURE (do you get it, I'm actually spelling it out here for you). It prevents certain story possibilities which could have taken place, in expansions.

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 13:49:
This. Just give me a new story to play out thanks. Challenge maps? Bitch Please.
Fixed that for you.
Lmao

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2012, 18:42.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

16. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 14:56 Nucas

i'll hold off until the DLC focusing on Daud. MORE UPDATES AS EVENTS WARRANT  

15. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 14:24 Cram

No idea what was wrong with the endings nor have I seen "many of us" having problems with it. All three endings were fine.

14. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 14:21 jacobvandy

How would a string of drop assassinations be "defying gravity," exactly? Isn't the point of those kills that you're using gravity to easily deliver lethal blows?  

13. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 14:20 Creston

as well as a global online leaderboard that will establish the greatest assassins for each challenge.

I give it... three hours before this leaderboard will be populated by little shitmongers who cheated themselves to impossible scores/times.

Why Valve didn't just outright ban the account of all the cuntsacks who cheated their way to the top of the Defense grid leaderboards is beyond me. They use their fucking ACCOUNT NAME. Start fucking banning them.

Creston

12. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 13:49 Cutter

netnerd85 wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 13:21:
I prefer missions that incorporate into the main campaign myself, as in a lot of the downloadable stuff for the Mass Effect games for example. I never really touched the challenge maps in the Batman games, which is what this appears to be similar to. I guess it's a personal preference thing. Once I am done with the main story I am generally done with the game (until I replay it anyway).

Fixed that for you.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 13:40 Zyrxil

Acleacius wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 12:45:
Zyrxil wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:28:
What? What the hell are you talking about? It's a Trials type DLC, very common. What does it have to do with the ending?
In the context of what I was saying, challenge maps are a copout from adding new content; i.e. branching story or different perspective ala Half-Life Opposing Force/Blueshift. Honestly don't care how common they are it's just a quicker release. It's more of a moneyplay for people who just buy dlc site unseen. There are people who just want to mash buttons and there are people who want to be entertained and/or learn something along the way.

Maybe it's just a difference of what platform you play on, until Horse Armor developers actually had to release new content good or bad. Many of us are still laughing at the idea someone was trying to charge us for Horse Armor. Att most experienced gamers were having nothing to do with it, but console gamers ate it up like a drug. Now we have challenge maps.

That's as close as I can get without spoiling the ending for those whom haven't finished.

You're completely rambling. First you complain that they designed new maps for this DLC instead of using it for story DLC, then you say it's a quick release ala Horse Armor, and finally you mention the ending again claiming to have explained things without actually saying anything.

10. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 13:21 netnerd85

Fixed that for you.

9. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 12:52 theyarecomingforyou

If the PC price is the same then I may pick it up but I'm not really a fan of time-trials as a gameplay mechanism, particularly not in a story-driven singleplayer game. That said, I'll be all over the singleplayer DLC.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 12:45 Acleacius

Zyrxil wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:28:
What? What the hell are you talking about? It's a Trials type DLC, very common. What does it have to do with the ending?

Maybe it's just a difference of what platform you play on, until Horse Armor developers actually had to release new content good or bad. Many of us are still laughing at the idea someone was trying to charge us for Horse Armor. Att most experienced gamers were having nothing to do with it, but console gamers ate it up like a drug. Now we have challenge maps.

That's as close as I can get without spoiling the ending for those whom haven't finished.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo