Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs?

A post on SemiAccurate breaks down some information from PC Watch (translation) suggesting that Intel's upcoming Broadwell CPUs will be soldered to the motherboard, rather than socketed, a detail they have now confirmed with a pair of OEMs. They offer the distressed opinion that this will be a death knell to the desktop PC and the enthusiast market, and though they add that they've received information indicating there's a "good chance" that the Sky Lake processors that will follow Broadwell will be socketed for one or two generations to follow, they conclude: "By then the last remaining overclockers and experimenters on the PC front will be gone, and for good technical reasons." Thanks Ant via Slashdot.

View
101 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

21. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 12:04 NegaDeath

Beamer wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:50:
Yes, that's the benefit for Intel, but typically decisions like this aren't made without at least being able to justify, even if loosely, a benefit for all involved.

Plus Intel doesn't have the scale for mobo manufacturing, which is why they allow those 3rd party mobos - it's much better for them to forego that revenue than to build and maintain that manufacturing capability.

Well Intel already makes mobo's so I assume your talking about quantity. If they can successfully absorb the sales of all the other mobo manufacturers it might justify increasing production levels, neither of us have access to the numbers to confirm that. PC sales are also slowing which reduces demand. As for a benefit for all involved it sounds like they are only concerned with themselves if they didn't even bother to tell the 3rd parties about this until recently. Again if all of this is even true.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:55 Verno

Prez wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:47:
This doesn't seem to make much sense on th surface, but honestly I am not the system builder I used to be, so I can see at least a small measure of appeal in what they are doing. I still like picking my own parts, but maybe not having to worry about which proc is compatible with which mobo isn't such a bad thing? I tend to upgrade my motherboard and cpu much less frequently than my memory and videocard anyway.

This isn't really a problem anymore though, old chipsets and CPUs are aggressively sunset nowadays. The little you gain does not offset the potential problems and removal of choice.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

19. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:53 AdamK47

"A post on SemiAccurate breaks down some information from PC Watch..."

Leave it to SemiAccurate to break down a news story into an editorial/opinion piece.

18. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:50 Beamer

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:40:
Beamer wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:29:
Can't load the page, what's the rationale for this? It may make some sense for a mobile processor, though even then, but it sounds as if it makes none for desktop. No value.

If they solder the chips right onto the board and do the production themselves then they can lock out companies like Asus/Gigabyte/etc from the mobo industry altogether. A literal manufactured monopoly on the Intel PC platform.
Yes, that's the benefit for Intel, but typically decisions like this aren't made without at least being able to justify, even if loosely, a benefit for all involved.

Plus Intel doesn't have the scale for mobo manufacturing, which is why they allow those 3rd party mobos - it's much better for them to forego that revenue than to build and maintain that manufacturing capability.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:49 DangerDog

To add insult to injury Intel will probably charge more for these cpu soldered onto the motherboard setups, that is if they even sell the component to end users at all.  

16. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:47 Prez

This doesn't seem to make much sense on th surface, but honestly I am not the system builder I used to be, so I can see at least a small measure of appeal in what they are doing. I still like picking my own parts, but maybe not having to worry about which proc is compatible with which mobo isn't such a bad thing? I tend to upgrade my motherboard and cpu much less frequently than my memory and videocard anyway.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:40 NegaDeath

Beamer wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:29:
Can't load the page, what's the rationale for this? It may make some sense for a mobile processor, though even then, but it sounds as if it makes none for desktop. No value.

If they solder the chips right onto the board and do the production themselves then they can lock out companies like Asus/Gigabyte/etc from the mobo industry altogether. A literal manufactured monopoly on the Intel PC platform.

14. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:33 MajorD

MajorD wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:26:
If this is true, it would really suck, as I have always spec'd out and built my own PCs from the ground up.

If it does happen, and people decide they'll just buy AMD CPUs from that point forward, then how much market share would Intel lose? On another note - without researching it - wasn't there a blurb here about AMD potentially being up for sale? If Intel was to purchase AMD, then PC enthusiasts would be screwed for sure!

Hopefully Intel doesn’t make such a bonehead move!

Here it is. If Intel was to make such a bonehead move, then it would certainly help AMD's stock prices.

13. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:33 Rattlehead

What...I don't even know what to say...I pray this is just some misinterpretation.

I don't see the need for this...at all.

12. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:32 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:12:
If true this is indeed very sad and a big mistake. If you have a bad motherboard, you have to replace the motherboard and cpu, like wise if the cpu dies you have to replace the motherboard. Something like this should only be done for mini-ATX HTPC type of systems. Also what about the server class mobo's and cpu's? If anything thats where enthusiast will goto.

Exactly. It hurts upgrade paths too. I really don't like the idea, it removes too much choice and you gain very little.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

11. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:31 DangerDog

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:16:
Shocked

Looks like the Ivy Bridge parts I ordered last night might be my last Intel upgrade. Ok AMD, you're up.

Edit: If its true

AMD is getting out too, there was an article about them seeking a buyer for their IP and that they want to just focus on mobile devices.

10. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:30 GibMonkey

If this is true, it would really suck, as I have always spec'd out and built my own PCs from the ground up.

If it does happen, and people decide they'll just buy AMD CPUs from that point forward, then how much market share would Intel lose? On another note - without researching it - wasn't there a blurb here about AMD potentially being up for sale? If Intel was to purchase AMD, then PC enthusiasts would be screwed for sure!

Are you kidding me? Here in America we would never allow a Monopoly.

/sarcasm

/sadness

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2012, 11:40.

9. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:29 Beamer

Well, I've been saying this would happen for a while, but not in this way.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:26 Darks

Watch and see if AMD doesn’t take advantage of this and take over as the CPU leader. This is only going to be bad for Intel no good will come of this idiotic idea.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

7. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:26 MajorD

6. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:24 DanteUK

Really is looking like the PC dying by degrees.
Microsoft making incredible hard to duel boot new hardware because it's locked to their key
Now Intel forcing CPU and Motherboard to be a single unit.

I guess corporations hate the enthusiast because we are the only ones that can call them on the bullshit they come out with and push their products to the real limits ( rather than the fake ones they tells the masses about ).

It also seems corporations make the mistake of thinking to make something simple you have to dumb it down to the point that only a child is happy with it ( simple because they don't know any better! )

We need more open systems like the Raspberry Pi but with more power!

5. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:24 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:12:
If you have a bad motherboard, you have to replace the motherboard and cpu, like wise if the cpu dies you have to replace the motherboard.

Intel's already hearing the sounds of cash registers opening and closing. It could also be the sound of the slot machine jackpot. Either one of those.

Creston

4. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:22 Acleacius

Not only bad for Video Game industry and PC market place, but the economy as well. Millions of jobs worldwide will be impacted. Probably why they are implementing it over 5+ years. Bastards.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

3. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:16 NegaDeath

Shocked

Looks like the Ivy Bridge parts I ordered last night might be my last Intel upgrade. Ok AMD, you're up.

Edit: If its true

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2012, 11:23.

2. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:14 Techie714 ©

Seriously? This makes really no sense to me? Why would they soldered to the board and not just keep it a socket? What about people like me that like to build our gaming rigs from the ground up?  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

101 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo