Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I mentioned that I ended up pushing off some of our leaf raking duties on my brother over the weekend. As it turns out, he had his revenge, as he managed to pass along some sort of cold to me. Besides avenging the labor imbalance, this also serves to suggest I should just leave well enough alone, as when I got a cold a few months back I mentioned it had been over five years since I'd had one, but after blabbing about that, have since caught two more. Thankfully, this seems mild so far, so here's hoping it stays that way.

Sniffly Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Tesla Defense.
Links: The Lord of the Rings: Trilogy Marathon.
Stories: Global first: Brit visits all 201 states without flying.
Science: Risk of robot uprising wiping out human race to be studied.
Media: Captain Planet Still Turning Everyone Into Trees.
The Ultimate Falling On Ice Compilation.
Hood Popping Compilation.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Begin the Healing Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 22:43 PHJF

What is always odd to me that any future digital "intelligence" is supposedly going to be incapable of rationalizing any of its behavior's beyond meeting its own needs to the detriment of anything else

Like father like son.

Humanity zing. Yeah!!!

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 22:03 Prez

What is always odd to me that any future digital "intelligence" is supposedly going to be incapable of rationalizing any of its behavior's beyond meeting its own needs to the detriment of anything else, thus wiping out humanity and all that sci-fi movie stuff. I always thought "intelligence" lent itself to more enlightened viewpoints that allowed for alternatives other than eradication of weaker entities simply because they are weaker and may have competing needs/interests.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 20:22 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 20:20:
AI/neural nets, machines building machines, etc. have all been around for a good while now

Excuse me, what????? When did we create an AI? No, Watson doesn't count. Nothing yet developed comes remotely close to displaying the cognitive capabilities of what is popularly considered "true" AI. Short of a spontaneous breakthrough, Skynet is a long ways off.

I believe that's what the slash is for.

I wonder if they're also going to be studying the "grey goo" aspect.

edit: Wait Creston is bemoaning this research being conducted at "Centre for the Study of Existential Risk" ?

I'd say robot uprising / grey goo is probably pretty high on existential risks. I mean, I would expect that to occur before the Sun expands.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 20:20 PHJF

AI/neural nets, machines building machines, etc. have all been around for a good while now

Excuse me, what????? When did we create an AI? No, Watson doesn't count. Nothing yet developed comes remotely close to displaying the cognitive capabilities of what is popularly considered "true" AI. Short of a spontaneous breakthrough, Skynet is a long ways off.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 18:25 Cutter

Creston wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 16:49:
But if we have no idea what the long term implications are, how exactly are we going to research it? These things DON'T EXIST. How are we going to study it? It's not science, it's not something that can be observed. All they can do is theorize about it.

It is observable. That's what science is. Hypothesis, experiment, observation, result. It's the reason why we have scientific laws AND theories. AI/neural nets, machines building machines, etc. have all been around for a good while now and they are fields that are only accelerating. How else would we design and implement them in the first place if we didn't know how? What we don't know are the long term ramifications. Think of it as introducing a foreign species into a closed ecosystem. We all know how well that works out.

Well, here's the theories : AI will eventually grown sentient and decide we compete for resources, and thus kill us (miraculously, apparently), it will grow sentient and decide we're stupid but hey, it's a big world, or it won't grow sentient.

Machines have no sense of morality. Even if they did develop morals there's nothing to say they would fall into line with what we generally agree is (im)moral. Better still, what about a foreign power or terrorist group introducing creating something intentionally malicious? Look at Asimov's I Robot as an example. What if the machines are well-intentioned but they see us doing irreparable damage to ourselves - as we do on a daily basis - and decide they need to take matters into their own hands to save us from ourselves?

There, study done. You can theorize about this shit until the end of time, but in the end, that's all you're doing.

No, that's an anti-academic point of view. Theorizing is how things come into existence initially. Fact is they do exist, they're growing, and we have no idea what any long term consequences might be. It was like when some of the physicists were taking bets on whether we'd ignite the atmosphere or not with the first atomic test. It's generally better to have all the angles covered - where possible - than just throwing the dice and seeing what happens. If you disagree with that go out on a nature hike and start eating random mushrooms one day to see which are tasty and which are deadly.

And I'll admit I didn't realize they were a private center, but even so, damn, can't they spend that money on trying to find out why kids bully each other, or something? You know, something useful?

We know the myriad reasons why kids bully each other, no study required. Personally I think this study to not only be valid, but is very interesting and I eagerly await seeing the long term results.

It's like those tards that got a grant for trying to calculate the mass of the fucking universe. Let's try to solve all the actually important things first, maybe?

Learning about the universe and how it functions helps clarify who we are and our place in it. It helps to build a path to where we're (should be) going. All these sorts of studies do bring us real, quantifiable advances - sooner or later. These guys aren't just sitting around pulling shit out of their ass to justify a salary. a very good friend of mine is a theoretical physicist and it's always exciting to hear him talk about this stuff and what we're learning and how it can be applied. I think that's the biggest problem with these sorts of articles, they never show the laymen the potential upsides to this sort of work. So people simply get all reactionary about it and say it's a waste of money and time, which is the farthest thing from the truth.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 17:04 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 16:49:
But if we have no idea what the long term implications are, how exactly are we going to research it? These things DON'T EXIST. How are we going to study it? It's not science, it's not something that can be observed. All they can do is theorize about it.

Well if we look at human cloning (true cloning) as an example we've been discussing it and making decisions about it since way back in the 60's, well before it was technically feasible.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 16:49 Creston

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 12:23:
I dunno. I think it could be a valid study. We have no idea what the long term implications are with neural nets, AI, machines building machines, etc. Every time we stagger blindly into the future the results are generally disastrous so a little foresight might not be so bad. And who knows what ancillary benefits may come from it? And they're a private research center so it's not like its costing the taxpayers a dime.

Well, here's the theories : AI will eventually grown sentient and decide we compete for resources, and thus kill us (miraculously, apparently), it will grow sentient and decide we're stupid but hey, it's a big world, or it won't grow sentient.

There, study done. You can theorize about this shit until the end of time, but in the end, that's all you're doing.

And I'll admit I didn't realize they were a private center, but even so, damn, can't they spend that money on trying to find out why kids bully each other, or something? You know, something useful?

It's like those tards that got a grant for trying to calculate the mass of the fucking universe. Let's try to solve all the actually important things first, maybe?

Creston

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 14:36 NegaDeath

While I agree the dangers of a real-life Skynet are comically far off it certainly wouldn't hurt society to plan ahead, even if its a century off. We have enough examples of current technologies that could have used that level of foresight. We're far too reactive as a society.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 12:23 Cutter

I dunno. I think it could be a valid study. We have no idea what the long term implications are with neural nets, AI, machines building machines, etc. Every time we stagger blindly into the future the results are generally disastrous so a little foresight might not be so bad. And who knows what ancillary benefits may come from it? And they're a private research center so it's not like its costing the taxpayers a dime.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 12:14 Creston

To be studied how? I'm assuming with a lot of booze and crack?

Why is money being wasted on this horseshit?

Creston

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2012, 11:34 nin

Risk of robot uprising wiping out human race to be studied.

http://youtu.be/2IPAOxrH7Ro

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo