Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Cyber Monday, presuming this is actually as much of a thing as they make it out to be. I guess the good news is that nobody is going to get trampled during a "door-buster" today, though after some of the Black Friday footage I saw, I'm not sure I'd bet against that.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Pinata Hunter 2.
Stories: Cyber Monday Sales Poised to Hit $1.5B.
Man Arrested After Telling Kids Santa Isn't Real. *Spoiler warning*.
Science: Universe, human brain and Internet have similar structures. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: DayZ "The Helicopter" Day04. NSFW.
Speech 101 Prank FINAL. Thanks reddit.
Unusual powerlifter: Using the power of Bounce.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 23:13 WarPig

Great now I'm going to have to send my letters to Mexican Santa (and he makes shitty toys Blue!)

How can you say that??!!!

Of course I'm really into Ball-In-a-Cup.

GO SEAHAWKS!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 22:57 Cutter

Prez wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 21:08:

Is Santa really a harmless lie though? I mean it sets kids on the treadmill of conspicuous consumption. And when you consider the billions who live in serious poverty around the world - not to mention the millions of starving/hungry/homeless - and the concept of Santa seems somewhat offensive in the face of reality.

True enough, but none of this matters to a little kid - you are looking at like an adult would. The fantasy of Santa Claus is a harmless and charming one, and I appreciate it every year when I see the little kids go wide-eyed with wonder when they see Santa every year. 'Also, I like Miracle of 34th Street.'

Yeah but that sadness goes away the moment you find out you still get presents anyway. Well, most kids do. All I got was a beating with a stocking full of coal and oranges.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Borderlands 2 Nov 26, 2012, 21:57 nin

jimnms wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 20:59:
Here's another one: W35TT-XTTWK-KXTBT-BJBJJ-9FKCW

Thank you, kind sir!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 21:08 Prez

Is Santa really a harmless lie though? I mean it sets kids on the treadmill of conspicuous consumption. And when you consider the billions who live in serious poverty around the world - not to mention the millions of starving/hungry/homeless - and the concept of Santa seems somewhat offensive in the face of reality.

True enough, but none of this matters to a little kid - you are looking at like an adult would. The fantasy of Santa Claus is a harmless and charming one, and I appreciate it every year when I see the little kids go wide-eyed with wonder when they see Santa every year. 'Also, I like Miracle of 34th Street.'

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Borderlands 2 Nov 26, 2012, 20:59 jimnms

Here's another one: W35TT-XTTWK-KXTBT-BJBJJ-9FKCW  

Steam Profile

14. Re: Borderlands 2 Nov 26, 2012, 19:00 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 18:46:
jimnms wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 13:15:
Here's another Shift code for a golden key: KJ5BJ-KTB5W-WXBJT-33JTJ-5Z9JX

It doesn't expire, but it has limited uses.

Thanks, was surprised it still worked.

Yes, thank you!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Borderlands 2 Nov 26, 2012, 18:46 xXBatmanXx

jimnms wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 13:15:

Thanks, was surprised it still worked.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 18:08 Cutter

Maybe it's because the right-wing are crypto-fascists who view Santa as the ideological dictator who forces his subjects into slavery - after all, the elves work for free year round - and rewards the faithful with the fruits of the slaves labour and punishing those who don't toe the party line. I put it to you that Santa's workshop is actually a virtual gulag! Arbeit mach frei!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 17:49 NegaDeath

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 17:10:
So what your saying is that..... Canadian Santa is like Canadian Bacon, it's not really bacon but more of a ham and therefore Canadian Santa doesn't exist?
Great now I'm going to have to send my letters to Mexican Santa (and he makes shitty toys Blue!)

Oh no Canadian Santa exists, he's just different. Instead of presents he gives out Canadian Tire money. His catchphrase is "Ho ho ho! Merry Non-Denominational Winter Festive Holiday Time!", and then apologizes if he offends anyone by that statement. He doesn't use reindeer for flight as frankly it gets pretty damn cold up here, instead he has a magic flying skidoo. Children leave out maple bacon and poutine for Santa to eat when he stops by and a steaming hot cup of Tim Hortons to wash it down. We hang our toques on the fireplace with care, with hope that Santa escapes the Polar Bears and will soon be there.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 17:10 The Half Elf

So what your saying is that..... Canadian Santa is like Canadian Bacon, it's not really bacon but more of a ham and therefore Canadian Santa doesn't exist?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 15:08 Prez

The "spoiler warning" should have been before the headline. You have ruined my Christmas. Bigcry  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 14:22 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 13:12:
Hey Cutter, are you doing all the side quests? Or just the main one?

I'm doing it all. It still feels short and just sort of middle-of-the-road. Like Beez said. WHen I'm done with it I may give it another run through at some point and cut a bloody swath of destruction but other than that it'll be forgotten in short order.

That aside, I cannot stop saying "like a boss" today and it's driving people nuts, haha!...like a boss!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 14:22 sauron

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 13:16:
Cutter wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 12:43:
Helf, re your question yesterday about Dishonored so far. I'm enjoying it but it's not blowing me away or anything. The environments are great but it's all a bit formulaic and predictable. I find the story wanting. It's just not as engaging as games like DX, Thief, Bioshock. It's also seems like it's pretty short as I think there are 7 acts and I've already burned through 5 - and that's exploring and doing the sneaky/low kill thing too. It was worth the $20 IMo but I'd have been miffed if I paid more for it.

That's pretty much how I felt about it. It's a nice looking game, but it just didn't suck me in like other games have. It is a bit on the short side too. Frankly I'll take less detailed huge games, than highly detailed short games. Last year I replayed Deus Ex, which was made in 1999. In 13 years, I doubt I'll even remember Dishonored.

I'm still hooked on GW2 (currently level 71) and haven't even loaded anything else up since it came out. Kind of a pain since I have a big backlog of games, but GW2 gameplay is really excellent. Looking forward to endgame.

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 13:42 mag

Prices went up for most things I was interested in. Meh.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 13:16 Beelzebud

Cutter wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 12:43:
Helf, re your question yesterday about Dishonored so far. I'm enjoying it but it's not blowing me away or anything. The environments are great but it's all a bit formulaic and predictable. I find the story wanting. It's just not as engaging as games like DX, Thief, Bioshock. It's also seems like it's pretty short as I think there are 7 acts and I've already burned through 5 - and that's exploring and doing the sneaky/low kill thing too. It was worth the $20 IMo but I'd have been miffed if I paid more for it.

That's pretty much how I felt about it. It's a nice looking game, but it just didn't suck me in like other games have. It is a bit on the short side too. Frankly I'll take less detailed huge games, than highly detailed short games. Last year I replayed Deus Ex, which was made in 1999. In 13 years, I doubt I'll even remember Dishonored.

4. Borderlands 2 Nov 26, 2012, 13:15 jimnms

Steam Profile

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 13:12 jdreyer

Hey Cutter, are you doing all the side quests? Or just the main one?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 12:43 Cutter

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 12:40 Alamar

What a boring sales weekend...

Not that I'm one to run out and spend a lot when stuff is marked at big %'s off the MSRP (like every other day of the year), but I looked at the big electronics stores, some computer stores, steam, etc... Really not much I cared for...

Perhaps that just means I have all the stuff I want : )

It doesn't... : )

Also... Love the spoiler warning... Too bad articles are always so badly titled... No one was arrested for telling kids the truth... And this quote makes me crack up - "It was pretty despicable that someone, during this time of the year, would tell kids Santa isn't real - which of course we would argue," Despicable!

As someone that has always been pro honestly, and anti hypocrisy, it's hard to lie to my kid, even if 'it's for their own good'... I also don't think it's bad that kids know that it's their parents that are putting in the effort; not some magical being...

-Alamar

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo