Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Video Diary

The Kickstarter Page for Elite: Dangerous now includes a new video developer diary on the topics of multiplayer and spaceships in Frontier Developments' upcoming space combat remake (thanks Trueman832). The clip includes narration from designer David Braben, and shows off gameplay footage. Additionally, the backer rewards for the project now include several options that include physical copies of the game.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 16:31 Parias

ASeven wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 16:28:
Smoke trails in space?

That was your scientific nitpick of the day.

He DID say in the video that it's a placeholder effect.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 16:28 ASeven

Smoke trails in space?

That was your scientific nitpick of the day.

10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 15:55 DangerDog

okay, thought he was just prototyping with cryengine. not sure how well that engine is suited to an open universe space game, maybe it'll just be large enough chunks of a game instanced with death penalties for going out of the combat zone.

9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 15:37 WyldKat

DangerDog wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 14:33:
Hasn't Roberts cheated a little bit by showing in game graphics of Star Citizen using Cryengine 3, or is that the engine he's going to use for the game.

Star Citizen is using CryEngine 3. The CryEngine is really capable of some amazing stuff beyond FPSs. For example there was that fan created Mechwarrior total conversion that was really good, I think even MWO uses it too.

8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 15:34 Aero

Between the two (this and Star Citizen), I'm more interested in Elite. It seems likely that they will both fall short of their potential and promise, but (probably) the worst case scenario for Elite is a straight remake of the originals with updated graphics, and that would still be awesome. Star Citizen seems like it could end up being something really cool for what it is, but what it is just isn't something I'm all that interested.

That said, I'm happy to support them both within reason. With some luck, a couple years from now I'll have gone from pining for a good space sim and seriously doubting the genre will ever seriously return, to being spoiled for choice.

X-Rebirth looks potentially interesting too, of course (though the X games haven't appealed much to me for a while otherwise).

7. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 15:25 WyldKat

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 12:54:
Looks alright, but nothing on Star Citizen.

I'll be playing both, though admittedly I'm more excited for Star Citizen because of the MMO portion, huge multiplayer ships, being able to run around on foot, and a hand crafted universe. Also Chris Roberts has always had the immersion factor nailed down by adding NPCs, news articles, places you can visit off the ship and other tidbits that make you feel part of the universe.

I think Elite will be great for exploration type gameplay, because the procedural generation will have just so many more places to see.

Ultimately though, 2014 looks like it will be a great year for space sim and scifi game fans.

6. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 15:00 Julio

Good to see some gameplay, but the vid makes my motion sickness go haywire.  

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 14:33 DangerDog

Even if it were a 1:1 version of the original with just upgraded graphics and physics it would be awesome to have.

There have been attempts by individuals to do this but they just don't have the flair of a polished game.

Hasn't Roberts cheated a little bit by showing in game graphics of Star Citizen using Cryengine 3, or is that the engine he's going to use for the game.

I hope this gets funded too, the more space fantasy combat games the better.

4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 14:04 stingray

I don't see a reason to be skeptical at all, worried, yes. They were two students when they wrote the original game (I don't know which of the two wrote the code and who smoked the pot though.). Now DB works with over 200 people in one company. They've already reached over 40% of the financial goal in 1/3 of the allotted time period on Kickstarter.

Sure just like SC, ED won't deliver all the goods at launch date, I don't think anyone believes that for one bloody second that they will. We'll just have to wait and see.

3. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 14:03 dj LiTh

Same type of game, if yoru interested is Limit Theory  

2. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 12:56 nin

Holy shit, he coughed up some gameplay. Still skeptical as hell it'll actually be completed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 12:54 theyarecomingforyou

Looks alright, but nothing on Star Citizen.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo