Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Video Diary

The Kickstarter Page for Elite: Dangerous now includes a new video developer diary on the topics of multiplayer and spaceships in Frontier Developments' upcoming space combat remake (thanks Trueman832). The clip includes narration from designer David Braben, and shows off gameplay footage. Additionally, the backer rewards for the project now include several options that include physical copies of the game.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 26, 2012, 14:12 ASeven

I also draw your attentions to this kickstarter, which also has a lot of potential of becoming a truly great game.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 26, 2012, 13:43 saluk

Minecraft was one guy for a long time, and I would say is bigger in scope than limit theory. Procedural generation is a great way for a single developer to accomplish a lot; because content creation is the slowest part of the development process. If you get a bad system, just generate another one.

I don't know what it is about the movement of this video, but it made me dizzy. I don't usually get dizzy watching games, even things like descent, so I'm not sure what is messing with me about it. The damage model and heat mechanics sound pretty interesting though.

I have to say all these projects interest me. I'd love for them all to get funded and completed.

30. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 26, 2012, 12:01 nin

I'd not heard of limit theory until it was mentioned here yesterday, and I have to say, it looks nice.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 26, 2012, 11:54 dj LiTh

aaaannnddd..... Limit Theory is now funded  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 07:42 Armengar

It still might get funded but it is niche to begin with and I imagine all the people who really cared have already ponied up. TBH I think he was asking too much; for the money I have 3 games from the steam sale right now (KOTOR 2, Borderlands 2 and Deus Ex) . Plus the christmas steam sale is only a few weeks away.

As a massive elite, frontier (and yes I wanted to lover FE sooo sooo much) I still wont be bothering kickstarting this. I'll buy it on sale if it does come out though.

TLDR? 10 sold, 20 no sale

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 03:05 Rigs

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 21:09:
I dunno... Limit Theory seems like some kind of experiment to me like...

What is the limit of people's stupidity? How long can a single individual uphold the one-man-show gig and keep the cash pouring in without anyone getting seriously suspicious?

Honestly, guys. Just think about the title of the "game". Limit Theory. Think about the premise, think about what's shown, think it all through... do we really believe in the concept of a single guy being able to work magic out of his ass? Really? Do we?

To tell you the truth I sure as fuck don't.
I, for one, wouldn't be surprised one bit if at the end of the campaign a giant middle finger is flipping us all the birdie at the KS page with a single line posted "EXACTLY HOW FUCKING RETARDED ARE YOU ALL AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH YOU DUMBFUXX?!?".

Wow, I take it your a 'Glass Half-Empty' kind of guy, eh?

Hey, don't fret, so am I. But that idea someone had before about getting all these one man groups together in one room (or project) would be seriously interesting! Imagine that, if they all formed a group, put all the projects together in one 'Mega' space-sim...and out popped Tie Fighter 2 three years later...ha ha...

No but seriously, think about it. A Privateer/sandbox-type sim, with Star Citizen/CryEngine3 graphics, a single player MMO, the other players being very intelligent AI (I guess you could have multi, if you wanted that...blech!...as long as it was implemented seamlessly, like maybe how Burnout: Paradise did it) with the Star Wars or Star Trek or B5 or Star Gate licenses...all for your choosing. You can be part of the evil 'Imperial'/Klingon-Romulan- Cardassian-Borg-Dominion/Shadow- Centuri-Narn-Drakh- Clarks'Forces/whateveEvil StargateRaceThereIs (I don't watch it enough, sorry), or you could be on the 'good' side or anything in-between...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

26. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 26, 2012, 00:34 Qbex .

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 21:09:

What is the limit of people's stupidity? How long can a single individual uphold the one-man-show gig and keep the cash pouring in without anyone getting seriously suspicious?

Honestly, guys. Just think about the title of the "game". Limit Theory. Think about the premise, think about what's shown, think it all through... do we really believe in the concept of a single guy being able to work magic out of his ass? Really? Do we?

I, for one, wouldn't be surprised one bit if at the end of the campaign a giant middle finger is flipping us all the birdie at the KS page with a single line posted "EXACTLY HOW FUCKING RETARDED ARE YOU ALL AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH YOU DUMBFUXX?!?".

Ever heard about Evochron ? Then go do your research first, that's a one man show as well, and game has more scope than many others developed by bigger teams. Evochron guy is piss poor in art department , I'll give you that but LT graphics looks dandy so far, combine this with scale and scope of something like Evochron but procedurally generated and I'll be all over this.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2012, 07:39.

25. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 21:09 CJ_Parker

24. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 21:04 ASeven

In other KS news, GODUS is close to being 1/3rd funded. Latest update on it has the 22cans guys saying they will post daily/weekly development diaries.

Can Moulyneux regain some of his sanity for a bit to produce a good Populous remake? The bets are on the table.

I still would have preferred a Powermonger remake.

23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 20:54 ASeven

Slashman wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 19:47:
ASeven wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 18:31:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 17:24:
Also i must say, limit theories in game video looks a hell of a lot better than staring at the same asteroid spammed 10,000 times in the above vid

Agreed. If there's a project with the potential of becoming the next Elite-type game is Limit Theory. It has the potential of becoming something really awesome.

His video really impressed me. And it's something I'm liable to back way before I even think about backing Star Citizen. If he pulls off the procedurally generated universe along with the NPCs working the way he says they will, I'll take it in a split second.

New Limit Theory gameplay video:

http://youtu.be/hNU02rDSSvI

22. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 20:43 dj LiTh

Limit Theory just posted its 3rd update, a new gameplay video, this 1 man team with a tenth the budget destroys Elite by a large margin LT New Gameplay Vid  

21. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 20:09 Creston

I still just can't get over how little of a shit he seems to give about this project. Where is the excitement? Where's the happy babbling over all the shit you want to do to try to get people to give (more) money?

He'll go a fucking week without making an update, then posts something like:

Only a small update today.

As if he's done anything different up to this point.

At least they're actually working on stuff, so it's not just a straight "Grab the cash and run", but I still have zero confidence that they'll get much of anything done. A 200 man company can't run on 1.2 million for the time it'd take to make this game, and looking at their cashflow they seem to be about two months away from going bunk. I think this is just there to help them float along for a few more months until they can (hopefully for them) get another publisher to give them money for a game.

As for the video, eh. This is now the second video he's shown with an utterly generic asteroid field in it. Asteroids aren't THAT exciting, David...

Creston

20. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 19:47 Slashman

ASeven wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 18:31:
Also i must say, limit theories in game video looks a hell of a lot better than staring at the same asteroid spammed 10,000 times in the above vid

Agreed. If there's a project with the potential of becoming the next Elite-type game is Limit Theory. It has the potential of becoming something really awesome.

His video really impressed me. And it's something I'm liable to back way before I even think about backing Star Citizen. If he pulls off the procedurally generated universe along with the NPCs working the way he says they will, I'll take it in a split second.

19. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 18:31 ASeven

18. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 17:24 dj LiTh

17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 17:24 Aero

You do have to wonder what would happen if some of the MANY one-man-effort space sim devlopers would team up. Limit Theory looks interesting, but over the years there hare been so many interesting looking space sim projects that never materialized, I find myself never getting excited about anything. That's probably one of the genre's biggest problems.

I've been following Rogue System with some interest because I really like the concept of complex systems and clickable cockpits (a la modern flight sims) integrated with a space game. It too, though, is a one man, part-time, project and though the developer is serious (and seems really cool), one man's life has a way of making these things tend to fade away before becoming full products. I hope it, and the many others, make it though.

Some videos of Rogue System:
http://www.fingerscrossedinteractive.com/videos.html

16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 17:22 ASeven

Slashman wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 17:09:
Anyone here think Limit Theory will be any good?

It's a one man game...but it looks like it could be interesting.

Elite: Frontier was a one-man game too.

15. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 17:16 dj LiTh

Slashman wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 17:09:

Honestly i think limit theory will be the dark horse that beats out star citizen and elite. The kid is very talented, has a lot of work to show already. Doesnt make outlandish stretch goals or conflicting features. I'm a limit theory backer, he's not asking for a metric ton of money, just enough to get him by while he works on it for a year.

14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 17:09 Slashman

13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 17:00 Cutter

At least he has thr right of it for how multiplayer should work - IN ALL GAMES! So it won't end up being P2W like Star Citizen will, but I really don't have much faith in his ability to deliver at this point. Hope he does get it made and is good because people will buy it at that point.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo