Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve offers the following updated list of the 10 bestselling titles on Steam for the past week:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  4. Max Payne 3
  5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  6. Hitman: Absolution
  7. Chivalry: Medieval War
  8. Assassin's Creed III
  9. The Walking Dead
  10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- Dawnguard

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 3, 2012, 23:15 Jerykk

While I agree that Dishonored's morality system was stupid, I don't really see how it ruins the game. Gameplay is king and Dishonored has that in spades. If you enjoyed killing people and using all your abilities against them, who cares about your moral alignment?

As for non-lethal abilities, there were plenty. Blink, Bend Time, Possession and Dark Vision were all useful for players who didn't want to kill anyone. Only two of the six active powers (Wind Blast and Rat Swarm) and only two of the four passive enhancements were designed specifically for violence. That's plenty for stealthy players (I played through the whole game without killing or incapacitating anyone except when objectives explicitly required it).

Now, if your issue is that you don't like being stealthy and want to fight in a non-lethal manner, I'm not sure what to tell you. When you're fighting people armed with swords and guns, things tend to get deadly pretty quick. With sufficient skill and creativity, you can still fight non-lethally in Dishonored. But again, if your sole reason for choosing a specific play style is because of some arbitrary moral alignment, you need to reassess your priorities.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2012, 23:26.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 29, 2012, 07:08 Quinn

Sepharo wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 22:45:
The "darker" ending of Dishonored is literally the same ending but just at night. And you guys thought ME3 color coded endings were bad.

Is this a joke?

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

65. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2012, 22:45 Sepharo

The "darker" ending of Dishonored is literally the same ending but just at night. And you guys thought ME3 color coded endings were bad.  

64. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2012, 13:25 Quinn

Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 08:01:
Quinn wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 22:01:
Dades, yes. Darker is wronger as it means further away from light.

Hear that, everyone working a 3rd shift? You're wrong, because you're further from the light!

Whehe, I was -- of course! -- talking about the symbolic definition of dark and light.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

63. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2012, 08:01 Beamer

Dades, yes. Darker is wronger as it means further away from light.

Hear that, everyone working a 3rd shift? You're wrong, because you're further from the light!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

62. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2012, 07:59 Beamer

RailWizard wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 00:56:
Fuck you n[CENSORED]s. ALL of you.

If this doesn't warrant a ban, I no longer get what does...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

61. removed Nov 28, 2012, 00:56 RailWizard

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 28, 2012, 08:16.

60. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2012, 22:14 Dades

But whatever. You dont get it, don't wanna get it, and I stopped caring enough to help you understand my look on it.

I don't need to understand your look, it doesn't make any sense. If you want more non-violent takedown options then bitch about that instead of whining that the game railroads you morally when it gives you plenty of choice in the context of the story.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

59. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2012, 22:07 Sepharo

Sepharo, fun you say that. There are one or more actual studies on the internet that show that console gamers prefer their protagenist to be a criminal or some other asshole.

And it was in contrast to PC gamers? Contrasting kids to adults? I find that hard to believe. I am also tired, so I'll just go on not believing that. But if you do end up finding it please link it here.

58. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2012, 22:01 Quinn

Sepharo, fun you say that. There are one or more actual studies on the internet that show that console gamers prefer their protagenist to be a criminal or some other asshole. Think God of War, Prototype (2), GTA, Darksiders etc.
On my phone right now and tired as a dead cow so feel free to google the results yourself.

Dades, yes. Darker is wronger as it means further away from light. Tell me I don't need to explain these two absolutes to you, please. When Dishonored's text popped up regarding the choice, I started thinking: So wait a second, these "enemies" are maybe just the victims of some evil corruption or something? Not killing them would be the good/better aka less dark option indeed!
Once I realized that, and then realized all the unique skills I COULD NOT use if I wanted to go with the option I was given.. well, that rubbed me the wrong way.

I laughed in pitty when 10 minutes after that infamous text the text popped up "Jump down and press [Left Mouse Button] to do a lethal takedown from above." I was like... ehm, no, I just chose the lighter path. How to do a non-lethal takedown from above?

But whatever. You dont get it, don't wanna get it, and I stopped caring enough to help you understand my look on it.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

57. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2012, 21:38 Dades

Quinn wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 13:41:
Hey Dades, some people actually finish reading an entire message before replying to them. A fundamental addition to that part you quoted sounded:

"I'm fine with giving these two options, I'm just horrified if they make the "good guy" gameplay so goddamn boring and linear."

When you ramble on and on people will skim your shit. Non-violent is boring and linear now? It is way more challenging and tense to avoid combat scenarios in Dishonored. No one said anything about a good guy or bad guy, that's your own dimwitted morals, the game warns you that you can walk a darker path. It doesn't say anything about right or wrong.

56. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2012, 20:09 Sepharo

You're way too hung up on "good guy" "bad guy" in games.

I meant to reply to this earlier in one of the Max Payne threads

They should stick with the consoles and piss off. I've realized for quite a few years by now that Rockstar lacks creativity anyway. Every game of theirs has to be some bandit-sympathizer one way or the other. Now it's true the typical console kid gets a total hard-on for that but I'm sick of those cliche anti-hero bs concepts. They even managed turn Max Payne in that same thug-infested fuckshow. I'd still like to see them burn for what they done with that franchise and the man.

It's idiotic to equate wanting to play a "bad guy" with a console mentality or something for kids.

55. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2012, 13:45 Quinn

So to emphasise my point even further let me add this:

In a game where they've ambitiously created possibilities for you to KILL enemies in a unique and fun way, they shouldn't throw in this pathetic "Oh! You can also not use all that cool stuff and play the good guy. In fact, if you decide to use the cool stuff, your ending will be bad or 'much darker'.". Apart from that, the text thoroughly mutilates and dismembers the immersion (How the fuck should my character know how it ends to act accordingly?). It's so dumb.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2012, 13:41 Quinn

Dades wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 07:01:
Quinn wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 03:43:
And then it also gave this unfathomably stupid option not to kill enemies

Non-violent options are so stupid, let's just murder death kill everyone, that's what assassins do after all Rolleyes

Hey Dades, some people actually finish reading an entire message before replying to them. A fundamental addition to that part you quoted sounded:

"I'm fine with giving these two options, I'm just horrified if they make the "good guy" gameplay so goddamn boring and linear."

What I meant to say with that (*sigh*) is this:

Where the "good guy" can only incapacitate targets from behind or use the crossbow to shoot a tranquillizer dart for non-lethal takedowns, the murderous "bad guy" can summon rats upon enemies; melt their brains; can do an animated death-from-above and backstab; use the gun AND crossbow AND sword; can turn enemies to ash; can Force Push them off buildings or splatter them against walls.. and maybe that list even goes on...

Hope you get the point.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2012, 07:01 Dades

Quinn wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 03:43:
And then it also gave this unfathomably stupid option not to kill enemies

Non-violent options are so stupid, let's just murder death kill everyone, that's what assassins do after all Rolleyes

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2012, 03:43 Quinn

Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 02:44:
Quinn wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 13:19:
Ugh, done with this.

Can anyone please explain to me what's so good about that stale, ugly, shallow game Dishonored?!

Is everyone infected by the hype-virus or am I missing the diamond on the shitpile?

I can understand if someone didn't like the game's aesthetic but how exactly is Dishonored stale or shallow? I didn't realize that open-ended, action/stealth hybrids with system-driven gameplay were so common. By the way you describe it, one would think it was another military shooter or something.

Military shooters don't pretend to be more than they are.

Stale: The dull graphics, bland textures.
Shallow: The moronic, yawn enticing story and shamefully retarded gameplay.

The game didn't challenge my senses at any moment. And then it also gave this unfathomably stupid option not to kill enemies, and warned you of a darker ending if you did at the very start of the game. You're a goddamn assassin for fuck's sake! Because I'm the kind of gamer that always strives to be the good guy, the game took my moral compass hostage from the very beginning. I haven't been able to make use of any of the potentially cool lethal skills. I'm fine with giving these two options, I'm just horrified if they make the "good guy" gameplay so goddamn boring and linear.

This game does nothing better than what any 2004 game could've done and has done. The way it left me cold and unexcited in literally every way is a feat in and of itself.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2012, 02:44 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 13:19:
Ugh, done with this.

Can anyone please explain to me what's so good about that stale, ugly, shallow game Dishonored?!

Is everyone infected by the hype-virus or am I missing the diamond on the shitpile?

I can understand if someone didn't like the game's aesthetic but how exactly is Dishonored stale or shallow? I didn't realize that open-ended, action/stealth hybrids with system-driven gameplay were so common. By the way you describe it, one would think it was another military shooter or something.

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 26, 2012, 20:59 Crustacean Soup

Max Payne 3: Sometimes cutscene dialogue (and the whole center channel) doesn't work at all for me unless I switch it from "Surround" to "Stereo". Also, in some cutscenes the audio just fails altogether except perhaps for some ambient noises, regardless of whether it's in Stereo or Surround. Considering the game is so extremely cutscene-heavy, it's kind of bumming me out. I don't know if this is common.

I also had to go to their site and get the manual installer for the "Social Club" before the game would start.

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 26, 2012, 18:46 Acleacius

Legend of Grimlock, Witcher and Witcher 2 all 75% off.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 26, 2012, 17:17 Acleacius

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 12:58:
ugh, Now Max Payne 3 is freezing during those stupid cut scenes....wtf. Nothing in forums, etc is helping. Fuckit. Back to Call of Duty....
I seriously wish you good luck with it. Imo, it's a disaster. They killed the lore with the story and the gameplay with the cutscenes.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo