Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Consolidation

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 27, 2012, 03:11 Sempai

Watches Microsoft try to be more like Apple.
More games begin to support Linux,see's Linux flourish, Microsoft goes the way of the dodo.

One can dream.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 26, 2012, 08:51 necrosis

InBlack wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 06:32:
necrosis wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 01:54:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 01:23:
Question: If consoles (like the 360) are more PC hardware based, and have more RAM and mandatory hard drive installs, would we see more console games (and in turn pc games) really pushing what could be done with games?
It use to be that PC's were the showroom's of high end gaming (Crysis, Quake, Alan Wake back when it was shown on a System brought back in time from the future, etc), but now we are becoming the retro cool indie game place with games like Minecraft.

It's like bell bottom jeans coming back in style every 10-15 years.

Indie games are taking off on PC because PC does not have the stupidly insane publishing (and patch release) costs that consoles do. All that 'certification' and crap costs money and is mandatory on all consoles. Money these small groups don't have. Because these indie games only really exist on PC they get the most hype on PC.

AAA titles are dead in the PC world.

Dont worry, the certification crap is coming to the PC. Just wait for Windows 9 and see...
Windows 9? Try Windows 8. If you want your application on the "Metro" tiles interface thing it MUST go through the Windows store which requires certification.

THE FUTURE IS NOW!

19. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 26, 2012, 07:51 Armengar

InBlack wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 06:32:
Dont worry, the certification crap is coming to the PC. Just wait for Windows 9 and see...

steam gets certified, load games through steam.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

18. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 26, 2012, 07:05 StingingVelvet

Exclusives yes, but many games sell plenty enough to justify porting. We will get AAA ports for a long time to come.

17. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 26, 2012, 06:32 InBlack

Question: If consoles (like the 360) are more PC hardware based, and have more RAM and mandatory hard drive installs, would we see more console games (and in turn pc games) really pushing what could be done with games?
It use to be that PC's were the showroom's of high end gaming (Crysis, Quake, Alan Wake back when it was shown on a System brought back in time from the future, etc), but now we are becoming the retro cool indie game place with games like Minecraft.

Indie games are taking off on PC because PC does not have the stupidly insane publishing (and patch release) costs that consoles do. All that 'certification' and crap costs money and is mandatory on all consoles. Money these small groups don't have. Because these indie games only really exist on PC they get the most hype on PC.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 26, 2012, 01:54 necrosis

15. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 26, 2012, 01:23 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 23:24 ELITE

Crap...

J wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 17:19:
ELITE wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 17:11:
Just enough energy to post...

Don't. Care. About. Consoles. ahhhhhh caring energy depleted.
Is this the part where I chime in and ask why you used up the last of your caring energy on something you don't care about?

13. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 19:50 Jivaro

It has always baffled me as well...the small amount of memory on consoles. It is so cheap. I would think they would aim relatively high in terms of amount, particularly when they know they want the product to have a 5 to 10 year lifespan as both MS and Sony claimed from the beginning.  

12. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 19:48 Mordecai Walfish

Flatline wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 17:23:
I've always wondered why consoles were so goddamn anemic in the memory department. Xbox launched with 512 system memory at a time when 2-3 gigs was pretty commonplace and not particularly expensive.

A $15-$30 difference in production costs over the sales of millions of consoles would be the justification of this, as that adds up to quite a bit of profit loss for something deemed "not necessary". Yes it was a relatively low amount compared to PC's of the day, but they didn't have to worry about things like a fully bloated O/S taking up a lion's share of the pie as well.

DangerDog wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 14:39:
On the PC people are already pushing the envelope way beyond what the next gen consoles can bring, upgrading from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 is just one of those things that you can do today and will be even more mainstream going forward.

I personally am satisfied completely at the moment with 1920x1080 on PC. The move up to a true 120hz lcd was much more important to me, and does more to improve the experience than the bump in resolution and resulting loss in performance. With games like Natural Selection 2 and Planetside 2 currently raping PC hardware as it is, I would rather not be forced to that high a resolution to maintain the native output of my monitor. Either way, both paths (2560x1440 & 120hz) are great upgrades for a PC user, depending on your preferences.

11. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 17:56 wtf_man

Why would anyone want METRO on the Wii? It's already bad enough on Windows!

(Read the article if you don't get the pun)

10. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 17:35 PHJF

AAA production costs are already astronomically high. Improving the hardware wouldn't change that. The fact that PC ports can look so much better (when the devs bother supporting the latest DX tricks and gadgets) is proof enough.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 17:26 ASeven

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 16:31:
ASeven wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 16:26:
And this is what I've been saying here for a long time, the next gen of consoles more than likely will be pretty underwhelming all around. If the 6670 rumor is true then the next generation of consoles may bury the gaming industry instead of saving it.

I have the opposite opinion. If the next gen of consoles has a major spec bump it'll be the end of the industry due to astronomical production costs. Innovation will stagnate due to the dangers of a single failed game collapsing a studio. PC gaming won't take over either, that ship has sailed.

Actually I also agree with this, as you've said production costs would blow the industry up but the industry will blow up if the new consoles are underwhelming as well.

I think it's easy to see the industry cornered itself into a very critical position with the new consoles. And PC gaming will save the industry, like microcomputers (C64, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC) saved the industry from the 83 crash. The PCs have always been the fallback plan that has always worked in case of the industry going through hard times.

8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 17:23 Flatline

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 16:51:
And this is what I've been saying here for a long time, the next gen of consoles more than likely will be pretty underwhelming all around. If the 6670 rumor is true then the next generation of consoles may bury the gaming industry instead of saving it.

I have the opposite opinion. If the next gen of consoles has a major spec bump it'll be the end of the industry due to astronomical production costs. Innovation will stagnate due to the dangers of a single failed game collapsing a studio. PC gaming won't take over either, that ship has sailed.

Indeed. If they are smart they will triple the RAM and make modest improvements elsewhere but keep the tech largely the same, focusing on smoothing the experience rather than jumping way ahead.

The focus should be on rebuilding their online architecture so they can support Steam-like distribution, free-to-play and streaming. That's where the money and mainstream support is. Advancing graphics a large amount for so-called "hardcore gamers" would massively increase budgets without any significant increase in sales.

I've always wondered why consoles were so goddamn anemic in the memory department. Xbox launched with 512 system memory at a time when 2-3 gigs was pretty commonplace and not particularly expensive.

Today memory is effing dirt cheap. And yet we'll probably only see a gig or so of memory in "next gen" consoles. Maybe 2. Six or 8 gigs of memory would add less than a hundred dollars retail to the cost of the console, and probably less than that for manufacturing price in that kind of bulk. System and video memory usually end up being the real hobbling factor of modern consoles.

7. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 17:19 J

ELITE wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 17:11:

Is this the part where I chime in and ask why you used up the last of your caring energy on something you don't care about?

6. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 17:11 ELITE

5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 16:51 StingingVelvet

Indeed. If they are smart they will triple the RAM and make modest improvements elsewhere but keep the tech largely the same, focusing on smoothing the experience rather than jumping way ahead.

The focus should be on rebuilding their online architecture so they can support Steam-like distribution, free-to-play and streaming. That's where the money and mainstream support is. Advancing graphics a large amount for so-called "hardcore gamers" would massively increase budgets without any significant increase in sales.

4. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 16:31 NegaDeath

3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 16:26 ASeven

Fantaz wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 14:27:
Like what that Slashdot guys are saying, if this is the indication for the power of next-gen consoles, with PS4/720 not being much faster, then consoles are fucked... long live PC gaming!

2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2012, 14:39 DangerDog

I think they're already screwed regardless of what type of hardware they release with. Microsoft is rumored to be making a console-lite version of the xbox for casual gaming and streaming, if that takes off over the more expensive version then they've just double screwed console gamers.

On the PC people are already pushing the envelope way beyond what the next gen consoles can bring, upgrading from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 is just one of those things that you can do today and will be even more mainstream going forward.

Meanwhile even next gen consoles might be struggling to support 1920x1080.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo