Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Autumn Sale Day Four

Steam News announces the lineup for day four of the Steam Autumn Sale. In addition to flash deals, today they are discounting Borderlands 2, F1 2012, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Total War: SHOGUN 2, and Mark of the Ninja.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 20:29 Dev

PHJF wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 17:25:
I don't think federal law applies to debit cards (yet).
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre04.shtm
Looks like it depends on how soon its reported. So report it ASAP. One could be liable for $50, $500, or all of it, if its not reported within certain time periods.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 17:25 PHJF

I don't think federal law applies to debit cards (yet). But if you have a good bank (or hopefully a credit union) you shouldn't have any issue getting identity theft money back. When I went in to get my situation sorted, the rep told me, "don't worry, this happens all the time." Whether he sought to comfort or alarm me is as yet undecided.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

56. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 17:07 Dev

Prez wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 11:01:
I have a separate debit card with its own separate bank account for online purchases. I never keep more than 200-300 bucks in it at any given time, which pretty much limits the damage from it getting compromised. Admittedly I still use a debit card (entirely separate account) for real world brick and mortar purchases, but I really don't feel like I am taking much of a chance. Shit happens, sure. Which is why I have a money market account I can write checks with in the event of a crisis.

I like the credit card idea but I got into a whole lot of trouble with credit cards back in my youth and it took me 15 years to bail myself out of it, so I am forever wary of using one. I own one but I only ever use it once a year to go on our annual road trip up north.
Sounds like you are doing the smart thing and planning for the unexpected. Keeping separate accounts, and being able to use the moneymarket cheks even if both accounts get compromised.

Although, using a debit card at B&M stores isn't entirely safe either, as seen by how those ppl hacked the swipe readers at Barns & Nobles (presumably a hardware hack, which means the employees must have been blind).
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 12:08:
Most CCs offer some sort of fraud protection anyway.
As a side note, CCs MUST offer protection under federal law. I believe the maximum amount you can be responsible for under federal law is something like $50 or $75. But the vast majority of cards I've seen also even cover that (they can afford it, since Visa takes 3%-5% to the merchants on every purchase, and on fraud usually does a chargeback anyway to the merchant so they don't have to pay).

I believe debit cards are similar, but its much harder to get banks to pay you back, since they are out the money. Plus there could be overdraft fees which banks hate to refund and bills bouncing, etc.

55. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 12:08 Wowbagger_TIP

I use a CC for almost all online purchases. I've bought quite a few games from GMG with no problems. Just bought a couple more yesterday in fact. Most CCs offer some sort of fraud protection anyway.

I've actually had a problem with mine before though. Someone apparently went on a shopping spree out in California with my card number. Not sure how they did it, but they apparently bought a bunch of nice clothes (well, I assume based on the cost, I didn't actually get to critique their purchases). I called Amex and disputed the charges and they removed them all from my bill and sent me a new card.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

54. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 11:36 eRe4s3r

Yeah.. not really for everyone though.. GMG went 1$:1€ for me. 0 savings now. It's really the reason I am not buying anything there anymore. Not to mention that when Steam has sales, the GMG sales are often inferior (even WITH voucher on top)  

53. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 11:01 Prez

I have a separate debit card with its own separate bank account for online purchases. I never keep more than 200-300 bucks in it at any given time, which pretty much limits the damage from it getting compromised. Admittedly I still use a debit card (entirely separate account) for real world brick and mortar purchases, but I really don't feel like I am taking much of a chance. Shit happens, sure. Which is why I have a money market account I can write checks with in the event of a crisis.

I like the credit card idea but I got into a whole lot of trouble with credit cards back in my youth and it took me 15 years to bail myself out of it, so I am forever wary of using one. I own one but I only ever use it once a year to go on our annual road trip up north.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

52. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 10:32 theyarecomingforyou

I've used my debit card on GMG numerous times and never had an issue.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

51. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 10:31 Dev

PHJF wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 08:41:
Yeaaahhh I understand this isn't the most awesome of evidence, but I personally had my debit compromised after using GMG and so did an acquaintance of mine. Maybe there's a reason like all banks have that site blacklisted.
Its more likely a coincidence. Its not all banks, just ones that are sensitive to overseas purchases. I've never had a problem with them for instance.

There's been some big breaches with credit and debit cards recently, like the one where someone modified the card swipers in 63 B&N stores to steal the info. I'm not sure WTF the employees were doing letting someone do that to 63 stores. Plus, another tactic is people putting devices onto ATM machines to pick up the numbers and pins.

I personally recommend using a credit card instead of a debit card. Too many potential issues if a debit card gets compromised.

50. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 09:26 netnerd85

PHJF wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 08:41:
Yeaaahhh I understand this isn't the most awesome of evidence, but I personally had my debit compromised after using GMG and so did an acquaintance of mine. Maybe there's a reason like all banks have that site blacklisted.
I don't use anything other than PayPal for payments unless I absolutely have to use CC details. If a place forces me to use CC I make sure the details aren't saved. I know how dodgy EVERY company is when it comes to security. It's not cost effective to be concerned about security.

49. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 08:41 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

48. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 07:53 Dev

BTW, I mentioned the MS sale way earlier in this thread. And the last thread. And the fact that its OOS on games like skyrim and diablo 3

jimnms wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 23:49:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 22:20:
Snuggle Truck eh?

4 friends already own this game:

Prez
Devistater
Kitkoan
jimnms

motherofgod.jpg

It was in a Humble Android bundle. It's pretty fun on a tablet, and they actually give you the original Smuggle Truck version as well as the cutesy Snuggle Truck. I haven't played it on PC, but I assume it plays a bit like Trials 2.
Yep, I got it in that bundle too I believe. I seriously doubt I would have bought that on its own.

47. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 07:00 netnerd85

Who cares about Steam, Green Man Gaming have MUCH better international prices. I mean 50% cheaper and then discounted and then a coupon. I don't see myself buying another game from Steam.  

46. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 02:34 Creston

Prez wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 22:04:
nin wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 21:14:

Edit: Btw Prez how's Snuggle Truck? Everything you dreamed it would be?

I believe it was Creston and I giggling about that one today on chat.

It was so awesome that I ... haven't installed it yet. I only pointed out that I didn't own it one day when it was the Steam daily deal to illustrate to those who claim I own every game on Steam that I don't buy EVERY game on Steam. It was the first time I had ever been "gift-trolled". I ought to play it for hundreds of hours just to show you guys! By the way, I don't yet own Assassin's Creed 3; don't you think you should gift-troll me again?

But AC3 is awesome, so it wouldn't really be a troll.

Creston

45. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 01:47 Jerykk

nin wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 00:15:
Holy shit, check this out:

Bought Lego Batman for $5.00 and Lego Batman 2 for $7.50 from amazon. Each apparently comes with a $5 credit towards amazons 2012 Editor's Choice Games, to be used during January 2013.

So I spent $12.50, and get a $10 credit back.

Important to note that the credit doesn't stack, so it's only $5 off per game.

*EDIT* Ah, the catch is that Skyrim, Max Payne 3, etc. Are all OUT OF STOCK. You win again, Microsoft.

Whoops, my bad. Not entirely surprising, though. I imagine that their PC game stock is pretty limited. I'm surprised they sell PC games at all, especially non-GfW/GfWL games.

44. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 00:43 Asmodai

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 18:34:
I was just trying to pick up Dishonored at GMG, but it won't let me buy it. No buy button on the game's page, and the buy button that was on the front page just led to a 404 error. Now the game doesn't seem to show up at all, even when searching for it.

Bugger, I picked it up for 22 bucks with the 25% discount, =(

43. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 00:15 nin

Holy shit, check this out:

Bought Lego Batman for $5.00 and Lego Batman 2 for $7.50 from amazon. Each apparently comes with a $5 credit towards amazons 2012 Editor's Choice Games, to be used during January 2013.

So I spent $12.50, and get a $10 credit back.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

42. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 24, 2012, 23:49 jimnms

Sepharo wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 22:20:
Snuggle Truck eh?

4 friends already own this game:

Prez
Devistater
Kitkoan
jimnms

motherofgod.jpg

It was in a Humble Android bundle. It's pretty fun on a tablet, and they actually give you the original Smuggle Truck version as well as the cutesy Snuggle Truck. I haven't played it on PC, but I assume it plays a bit like Trials 2.

Steam Profile

41. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 24, 2012, 22:52 Prez

Except that's what happens with GMG, and anyone else reselling keys for other services. Because they're not handing out the data, just licenses...

Right - but it's not the game itself that is out of stock; just the unique license keys. I just find the wording amusing.

Anyway, are those retail copies? When I clicked the link it looked kind of like the GFWL download store, but I didn't really dwell too long.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 24, 2012, 22:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Prez wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 22:34:
The idea of a digital game being out of stock still strikes me as hilarious.

"Sorry - we are currently out of 1's and 0's. We hope to be receiving another shipment on Tuesday. Sorry for the inconvenience!"

I am not totally familiar with this store, first time I've even looked at it is today. They do appear to be a physical item store though, for PC games. I added various things to the cart, just to see, and yes, there are shipping method choices.

So I guess it's not too out of whack for them to be out of stock, I thought they were a Digital store initially also.

39. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 24, 2012, 22:39 JohnBirshire

How much is Chivalry right now?

I paid 2.50 for SPAZ and played it 50 hours. It was fun unlocking new ships and finding the most powerful combination of upgrades and weapons.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo