Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm back in the BlueTower after a bit of running around. My bro and I spent some time in the country at my dad's old house moving massive piles of wet leaves before winter sets in. And yes, it's as fun as it sounds, which is bad news for WalterEgo, because I had to abandon him due to having plans and wanted to finish next week, but he's trying to soldier on without me. Guess he wasn't willing to leave well enough alone.

R.I.P.: Larry Hagman, ‘Dallas’ Villain With a Sweetly Sinister Smile, Dies at 81.
R.I.P.: Brash boxer 'Macho' Camacho dies in Puerto Rico.

Leaving Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bomb It 5.
Stories: Super Bowl XLVII- Ads of 2013.
With 35mm Film Dead, Will Classic Movies Ever Look the Same Again? Thanks scorcese.fan.
Science: Cartilage made using hybrid 3D printer.
Science budget cuts will threaten Europe's recovery, say research heads.
Media: Icy Hill Hero.
This dog knows how to shake it. Owner doesn't know how to hold it.
Cat In The Machine.
Auction: Beatles demo tape, rejected by Decca, resurfaces.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Follow-up: Nine arrests in Walmart protest, business still brisk. Thanks HARDOCP.
Black Friday 2012 Fights At Wal Mart Over Phones.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2012, 22:34 jimnms

Sepharo wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 17:38:
Anyone here use Google Docs(Drive) exclusively?

My parents need a new device for occasional word processing and spreadsheets and they also want something near the couch for casual internet browsing and Facebook. My mom has been considering the Surface but the price for what you get... I've told her to hold off. She probably expects me to get her a tablet for Christmas, I'm thinking either Nexus 7 or 10.

So Nexus 7 or 10 for the couch and trips.
And either a new laptop or hand-me-down desktop from me for the desk.

Uh, rambling aside, and back to my original question... Do you guys think Google Docs is a sufficient replacement for very occasional home office needs for someone who's only previously used Office?

Have you considered LibreOffice? I don't need to use a word processor that often, but I do use spreadsheets for a few things. I use LibreOffice, and only install the word processor and spreadsheet components. It has no problem opening MS Word docs, but I have had it mangle older MS Excel spreadsheets.

I also use Google Docs, but mainly to backup stuff. It's nice because it supports the open document format and converts it right to a Google doc so it can be edited in Google Docs and exported back to an open document for the rare occasion I need to edit something when I'm not using my desktop. I could probably just use Google Docs exclusively, but I still like to have stuff physically on my system.

One advantage I can see to using Google Docs is it removes the need to download and install updates. Depending on their experience with computers, a potential down side to it is that they'll need to get used to using it in a browser and realize that it's not a program they launch from a shortcut on the desktop or start menu.

Also Google Docs never seems to remember me. I can log in to Google Docs, but after I close the browser, it forgets me the next time I open the browser again. Even though every Google site and YouTube has me logged in, when I got to Google Docs I have to log in every time. Storing their username and password in the browser would fix that though.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2012, 19:19 Ant

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 19:38:

WTF is wrong with people?
We need to get rid of humans.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2012, 10:39 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 19:58:
Oh yeah, ever see Failsafe with Hank Fonda?
One of my favorite films. Black & white, no music, and yet incredibly dramatic. Unfortunately it got overshadowed a bit by Dr. Strangelove, Fail-Safe was the better film.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2012, 08:42 PHJF

Sepharo wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 00:59:
Fantaz wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 23:57:
that video had nothing to do with black friday...

Care to explain?

Presumably this was one of the stores which opened on Thanksgiving and not Friday?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2012, 01:40 Hoop

Jackson post production video out on the Hobbit.
http://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ

Um .. Behind you...

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2012, 00:59 Sepharo

Fantaz wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 23:57:

Care to explain?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 23:57 Fantaz

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 23:45 NegaDeath

Were there people in that clip? I saw cattle crowding around a feeding trough. It is weird how they were in a walmart though. Does walmart do livestock now?

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 19:58 Cutter

More like what's right with them? Not to mention several shootings, people being run down, etc. You have to be a fucking tool to do the Black Friday thing.

And I liked watching JR being evil and Camacho box, so RIP to them both. Oh yeah, ever see Failsafe with Hank Fonda?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 19:38 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 19:37 Sepharo

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 19:22:

My parents need a new device for occasional word processing and spreadsheets and they also want something near the couch for casual internet browsing and Facebook. My mom has been considering the Surface but the price for what you get... I've told her to hold off. She probably expects me to get her a tablet for Christmas, I'm thinking either Nexus 7 or 10.

Uh, rambling aside, and back to my original question... Do you guys think Google Docs is a sufficient replacement for very occasional home office needs for someone who's only previously used Office?

Honestly I picked up the Nexus 7 (couldn't beat the price), and had no problems with it except that on my HTC One X I have arrow keys and not on the Nexus 7. Runs great, responsive, good battery life, and I primarily use it for looking up stuff while gaming on the couch or pc. It's a bit heavier then I thought it would be. If you are doing word processing and spreadsheets, I'd suggest a Netbook/Laptop over a tablet. But if your looking for casual net browsing and facebook I'd suggest a tablet. I believe Office Depot carries both in store, so might be worth a trip to see what would really work for you size wise.

Yeah they need both I think.

Just wondering if having them ditch Office and possibly Windows altogether might be feasible. Maybe I just get them a light Chromebook since they're using an ancient heavy laptop on the couch already.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 19:22 The Half Elf

Honestly I picked up the Nexus 7 (couldn't beat the price), and had no problems with it except that on my HTC One X I have arrow keys and not on the Nexus 7. Runs great, responsive, good battery life, and I primarily use it for looking up stuff while gaming on the couch or pc. It's a bit heavier then I thought it would be. If you are doing word processing and spreadsheets, I'd suggest a Netbook/Laptop over a tablet. But if your looking for casual net browsing and facebook I'd suggest a tablet. I believe Office Depot carries both in store, so might be worth a trip to see what would really work for you size wise.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 18:45 Tom

It's not even a sufficient replacement for Notepad.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 18:21 Prez

Camacho was always an in-your-face loudmouth - one who many people would watch in the hopes he'd get his ass whipped- but I think any boxing fan had to at least respect the guy. I know I did. Sad to hear about his untimely death.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 18:01 nin

And yes, it's as fun as it sounds, which is bad news for WalterEgo, because I had to abandon him due to having plans and wanted to finish next week, but he's trying to soldier on without me.

"Oh, man! Look at the time! I gotta go update the web page!" <sound of squealing tires>

Beatles demo tape, rejected by Decca, resurfaces.

Seemingly no sign of a release. Fucking shame...piece of musical history.

edit: RIP to those lost. Seems like it's be a particularly bad year.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2012, 18:08.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 17:38 Sepharo

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2012, 17:21 xXBatmanXx

Wife and I got Samsung galaxy s IIIs today. Anyone have it and recommend loaders software etc?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo