Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads

The Baldur's Gate Website announces that preloads of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition are now being offered in advance of next week's release of the updated role-playing game. The news is accompanied by some screenshots and this new trailer. Here's word:

Overhaul Games is excited to announce that pre-loading for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has begun ahead of final release on November 28th, 2012. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for PC is available exclusively through Beamdog, and can be purchased here.

If you've already purchased Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, you can either pre-load it through the Beamdog client, which can be found here, or through the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Installer which can be downloaded here.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

30. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 17:58 sauron

If I get this, it'll be for my tablet, so I can play it on the go - train or plane (or airport). For PC, I already have it - plus the widescreen patch.

This is all about BG mobile, baby. Being able to play it on a tablet, anywhere.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 17:53 Prez

pagb wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 13:09:
nin wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 12:26:
Steam or go home. I don't need Yet Another Download Client.
+1

Same here. It's not so much the download client (though Steam's is about as good as it gets which renders others kind of pointless for me); I just like auto-patching, easy and convenient archiving, cloud saves, and even social features that come with Steam. It may seem weird to worry about social features in a singleplayer game, but I like seeing who is playing what when, and for how long. Steam has actually made singleplayer a social thing ; I have traded stories, gotten tips for being better, and gotten help when I am stuck through Steam's social features in more than one singleplayer game. I have even purchased a few games I otherwise wouldn't have tried (and have gotten others interested in games that I play) simply by seeing what my Steam friends spend time playing.

Considering that Beamdog ended up putting MDK 2 HD Steam I think it's likely that BG HD will get there too. By then we'll know if it's worth getting.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 17:16 RaZ0r!

WaltC wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 16:12:
RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:56:
When it's 75% off on Steam, please let me know. In the meantime I picked this up earlier this year for $20.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JQ064A

This is probably a word to the wise, and I don't think even applies to the original BG1, anyway...but just in case you aren't aware of it--as I wasn't initially--when Amazon game descriptions say "Win7 compatible" in the description, what they are usually always talking about with much older games is "Win 7 x86" compatible, because these are 16-bit Windows games that will run fine on Win7 x86 but *won't run at all--won't even install* on Win7 x64 systems.

All eight games run flawlessly on my installation of Windows 7 64-bit.

EDIT: Just for clarification: They INSTALL and RUN flawlessly on Win 7 64-bit. No need for compatibility modes or anything else to install or run them.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2012, 19:48.

27. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 16:56 Draugr

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 16:04:
Sorry Draugr, but I simply said the same thing that almost everybody else here has reiterated, yet you keep arguing with me about it while calling me wrong. You're entitled to your opinion however. Would be nice if you kept to it without insulting everyone elses however, but I guess that comes with time.

Actually, you and WaltC the only one who has mentioned this so if you and that guy are almost everybody, then sure. WaltC also is discussing Easy TuTu, which is a different thing entirely (since it mods the two games together, among other things.)

It just seems like to me you were discounting what is being brought to the table with this, without really looking into it, (You seemed to imply a widescreen mod is all it would take to replicate this effort.) On top of dismissing the fact that this will introduce the game to plenty who don't have the drive of nostalgia to bring things up to date.

As Kastagir has pointed out, People like us who don't mind polishing off an old game and putting some time into modding really aren't who this is geared towards. To me this has always seemed like an effort geared towards tablets, and they brought the chances to PC because, Why not?

26. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 16:53 WaltC

Draugr wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 15:30:
Which it does, and this doesn't include the new areas and NPCs included in the enhanced edition (which aren't available as mods.)
Hence, you don't know what your talking about.

Pretending that your modded copy of BG is as simple to get up and running as BG:EE is a big joke. I don't mean to imply its a big chore, but for many people they have no interest in going through the motions, even with an installer like tutu doing nearly all the work for them.

I for one certainly am not trying to rain all over Beamdog's parade! I'm very pro game-developer and generally side with the developer on almost everything--but here's what bothers me here:

BG1 is a classic. The game itself was practically a revolution in RPG development at its release. Every few years, like clockwork, some dodo somewhere decides that "The RPG is Dead" and starts writing articles and editorials taking that lame position. You know the Internet--in no time flat sites around the globe mindlessly pick up the link and run with it, or with similar brain-dead notions. It was no different when BG1 was released. Rumor everywhere was that "The RPG is Dead!"--and then there was Baldur's Gate, and the editorial dummies retracted their heads inside their shells & waited for awhile--just to do it all over again. It was no different when Skyrim was released just last year--proving incontrovertibly that the RPG as a game-form is as robust as it has ever been. (A lot of this crap I lay at the feet of the ignominious id software, but that's another story.)

BG1 is a classic, to reiterate. So to ask your question in reverse, why should I pay $20 for what is essentially a BG1 *mod* that adds a few "new areas" and "more NPCs" but does not fundamentally change the game--(which I think is a Good Thing--don't get me wrong)?

I mean, I don't think there's any question whatsoever that the BGII engine, as utilized to run BG1 by the EasyTutu mod, is *the* definitive version of BG1. It greatly improves on the general presentation of the original BG1 by using the BGII engine, yet it leaves the original BG1 classic intact--completely. The EE seeks to leave intact the BG1-engine game presentation--which I think is a mistake--as the BGII engine was designed from the start by the original developers to be an improvement on the BG1 engine in every respect, most especially an improvement in game presentation. I would have much preferred the EE release to go the BGII-engine route, or something similar, in terms of game presentation.

I can still add "new areas" and "more npcs" to my BGII-engine BG1 if I want to by installing what mods may be available to that end already. But if I should decide that I prefer the original game I can simply uninstall the new areas and npcs and I am once again back to the classic BG1 game.

Should I decide that Beamdog's EE of BG1 spoils the game by way of its "new areas and npcs"--can I then return BG1 to its original state? That's my real concern. I'm guessing not, but I really don't know. Perhaps Beamdog has made this possible via an installation option?

And last, btw, EasyTutu really is exceptionally easy to use and install,...;) No need to be afraid of using it on that account. But who knows, I may yet buy the EE from Beamdog! I'll wait for some reviews first, however.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

25. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 16:23 Cutter

I played the originals so much I still know them backwards and forwards so there's little point in playing them again. Bring on W2, SRR, PE!!!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 16:12 WaltC

RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:56:
When it's 75% off on Steam, please let me know. In the meantime I picked this up earlier this year for $20.

This is probably a word to the wise, and I don't think even applies to the original BG1, anyway...but just in case you aren't aware of it--as I wasn't initially--when Amazon game descriptions say "Win7 compatible" in the description, what they are usually always talking about with much older games is "Win 7 x86" compatible, because these are 16-bit Windows games that will run fine on Win7 x86 but *won't run at all--won't even install* on Win7 x64 systems.

I kicked myself after it happened to me--I should have known better--but I ordered a couple of old games from Amazon like this for my wife that were supposed to be "Win 7 compatible"--but of course were completely incompatible with Win7 x64. I could have installed Win7 x86 for my wife so that she could run the games, but I really did not feel like rebuilding her entire system just to do that. Besides, < than 64-bit OSes are retrograde these days.

Like I say--you probably already know this so this isn't directed at you--but it's for the folks who even with a lot of knowledge and experience have the occasional brain fart and *simply forget* that a 32-bit edition of Win7 ever existed--people like me...;)

Beamdog's situation surely overcomes this major limitation and can be recommended on that score, and would certainly, I think, be vastly superior to an original copy of BG1, even one running under Win7x64 (because IIRC it won't run well even when you get it running under x64.)

However, I still recommend buying the games from Gog and using EasyTutu for a total of $10 invested for personal computers running Vista/Win7/8 x64. BG1 is just much better delivered by the BGII engine, imo.

As another poster reminded me, the Beamdog game is attractive to people running and enjoying hand-held devices--not only that, but for them the game is cheaper, too, ($10 vs. $20.) It's a bit ironic, as the raw computational power of handhelds today is roughly analogous to the state of personal computers fifteen years ago, so in some respects that's an interesting match. Sort of...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

23. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 16:04 JohnBirshire

Sorry Draugr, but I simply said the same thing that almost everybody else here has reiterated, yet you keep arguing with me about it while calling me wrong. You're entitled to your opinion however. Would be nice if you kept to it without insulting everyone elses however, but I guess that comes with time.  

22. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 15:44 Vio

Doesn't seem like there's anything enhanced in this edition other than a nice journal/zoom features. They should have put more effort into giving the game a graphics overhaul.

As it stands now I see no reason to buy this if you already own the original BG1/2/TOB.

Only compelling sale would be iOS and Android as it stands.

21. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 15:30 Draugr

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:25:

So its confirmed, you don't know what you're talking about.

Wrong. What I said is that there is almost nothing here that wasn't already available. However, I said I was still going to buy it. There was nothing inflammatory about what I said, only fact, so can your hostile response.

When you say something like,

You can buy this on GOG, install the widescreen patch, and be playing this game problem-free within 5 minutes of reading this. So I'm not sure how necessary this overhaul was.

Then you're implying this is the only thing its bringing to the table, which isn't the case. It also shows that you don't know what you're talking about as you seem to think its the only change that has been made.

Unless it includes some pretty massive overhauls, engine or graphics updates, or gameplay changes

Which it does, and this doesn't include the new areas and NPCs included in the enhanced edition (which aren't available as mods.)
Hence, you don't know what your talking about.

Pretending that your modded copy of BG is as simple to get up and running as BG:EE is a big joke. I don't mean to imply its a big chore, but for many people they have no interest in going through the motions, even with an installer like tutu doing nearly all the work for them.

20. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 15:26 cronik

My body is ready.  

19. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:56 RaZ0r!

18. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:54 Kastagir

WaltC wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:45:

I appreciate what Beamdog is doing, but they'll need to sell me on why I shouldn't just use EasyTutu (or buy BG1 &2 from Gog for $10 and then use EasyTutu, if I don't already own the BG1 & 2 titles.) So far, I haven't been sold. BG1 EasyTutu, along with a few free-of-charge mods, is a pretty darn nice BG1 experience...;)

You're not the kind of person this effort is targeting primarily. Being able to play this game on a tablet (iOS or Android) is worth $10 to a lot of people. Why it's twice as much for PC and Mac, I don't know.

17. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:45 WaltC

Sho wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:08:
There's more modding than that you need to do. On Vista and newer, the Infinity engine runs like shit and displays graphical glitches on nVidia systems, so you need that dubious zip with the hacked-up DirectX DLLs to fix the accel. Then there is the mod to run the BG1 content on the BG2 engine to enjoy its improvements. And fixpacks. It's my understanding the EE is a superset of all these things done properly (e.g. fixing the nVidia issue on the engine level and recoding the glitchy fog of war, which indeed also looks generally nicer in the trailer) plus more, like some cleaned-up assets. Seems like a decent deal and a time-saver to me.

What I am most excited about is the Android port though. I never would have expected it - never had an interest in handhelds - but since playing the Broken Sword DC and Machinarium on my Android tablet I have realized I really enjoy some bedtime-gaming on these things. If they pull off a good touch UI I will be so all over this ...

Using EasyTutu to play BG1 using the BGII engine (and under Win7/8 x64, I might add) greatly improves on the BG1 experience, imo. And, as the name implies, EasyTutu is *very* easy to use and install. The BGII engine is just so much better than the original BG engine. One of the main improvements that is immediately noticeable is that the BGII engine greatly expands the size of the game-play area onscreen. It eliminates those gigantic text areas (containing tiny little bits of text) that the BG1 engine is known for...;) No strikes against the BG1 engine, though--that sort of thing was necessary at the time BG1 shipped because the gpu horsepower needed for larger game-play screen square footage just wasn't available.

I appreciate what Beamdog is doing, but they'll need to sell me on why I shouldn't just use EasyTutu (or buy BG1 &2 from Gog for $10 and then use EasyTutu, if I don't already own the BG1 & 2 titles.) So far, I haven't been sold. BG1 EasyTutu, along with a few free-of-charge mods, is a pretty darn nice BG1 experience...;)

16. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:25 JohnBirshire

So its confirmed, you don't know what you're talking about.

Wrong. What I said is that there is almost nothing here that wasn't already available. However, I said I was still going to buy it. There was nothing inflammatory about what I said, only fact, so can your hostile response.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2012, 14:30.

15. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:17 WaltC

Question is, how will it stand up to Easy Tutu (Balder's Gate 1 with the BG II engine, for those not in the know)?

IMO, at the moment, Widescreen EasyTutu BG 1 is the one to beat.

14. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:16 Umbragen

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Windows is available as a direct download from Beamdog, with no client install necessary.

And if you don't think the improvements they've made are worth the $20, don't buy the game. Damn whiners.

13. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:08 Sho

There's more modding than that you need to do. On Vista and newer, the Infinity engine runs like shit and displays graphical glitches on nVidia systems, so you need that dubious zip with the hacked-up DirectX DLLs to fix the accel. Then there is the mod to run the BG1 content on the BG2 engine to enjoy its improvements. And fixpacks. It's my understanding the EE is a superset of all these things done properly (e.g. fixing the nVidia issue on the engine level and recoding the glitchy fog of war, which indeed also looks generally nicer in the trailer) plus more, like some cleaned-up assets. Seems like a decent deal and a time-saver to me.

What I am most excited about is the Android port though. I never would have expected it - never had an interest in handhelds - but since playing the Broken Sword DC and Machinarium on my Android tablet I have realized I really enjoy some bedtime-gaming on these things. If they pull off a good touch UI I will be so all over this ...

12. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:01 wtf_man

Until it's on Steam or GOG... I'm only interested in the IOS version for my iPad.  

11. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 13:58 D4rkKnight

iOS is carving out a bit of a hardcore rpg niche market - curious to see how this handles on the iPad.  

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo