Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Eurocom Layoffs

More than 200 former Eurocom employees have lost their jobs, reports GamesIndustry International, confirming that fewer than 50 employees remain at the 007 Legends developer. "We've fought to try and save as many jobs as possible, but the steep decline in demand for console games, culminating in a number of console projects falling through in the last week, left us with no option," reads an official statement from the developer. "Eurocom has retained a core staff of just under 50 employees and will be focusing mainly on mobile opportunities moving forward."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 24, 2012, 13:02 Slashman

There's a decline in demand for console games???  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 24, 2012, 05:24 eRe4s3r

A big developer who made a terrible mess of a game that is, 007 Legends was a damned disaster.  

8. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 23, 2012, 19:30 Golwar

Blah, we need 5 year plans to spread developers efficiently among the available platforms. Gaming communism ftw!  

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 23, 2012, 18:29 HorrorScope

Ex-Hostess employees are going to start making games for mobile, we've learned.  

6. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 23, 2012, 17:55 Wildone

At least they didnt blame pirates!!!!!  

5. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 23, 2012, 17:52 Fantaz

Making games in the mobile space is a lot cheaper to develop for than licensed console games that's for sure.  

4. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 23, 2012, 16:28 Cutter

None of theswe games should be over a buck either. I scoff when I see them asking for $5+ for a phone game. Hell make it's 25 cents. 2 billion quarters adds up to a lot.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

3. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 23, 2012, 16:21 Parallax Abstraction

Ravor wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 15:44:
There's like 2 billion people on the planet with a cell phone so with a bit of marketing you think that would be a viable way to go. Shrug

I dunno, everything I've read lately suggests mobile's becoming as hit driven as consoles. 2 billion people own a cell phone but of those that are buying games, 99% of them buy Angry Birds and maybe one or two other things from the top charts on the App Store and never bother looking for anything else. The barrier to entry's a lot lower but these days, you have about as much chance of having a hit mobile game as winning the lottery, unless you're publisher backed of course. For Eurocom and many other devs, it was probably either this or go under so at least it gives them a means to stay alive. I just remember a year ago when people said that nobody could fail in mobile and social games. How quickly things change...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

2. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 23, 2012, 15:44 Ravor

There's like 2 billion people on the planet with a cell phone so with a bit of marketing you think that would be a viable way to go. Shrug  

1. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 23, 2012, 11:51 Parallax Abstraction

I understand they're up against it and there probably isn't much work in the console space right now but geez, another big developer entering the crowded mobile market where chances of success are even less? Good luck to them but I wonder what chance they really have. I mean, in the last two weeks I think I've read 3 or 4 stories of small teams that had highly anticipated mobile releases come out and went under after because no one bought them.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo