Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV

The Call of Duty Forums have details on a new patch that's now live in Call of Duty: Black Ops II to address some issues with the Windows edition of the military shooter sequel (thanks Strategy Informer), including the promised FOV increase that was once considered a deal breaker. Here's the change list:

November 21, 2012 Update for Singleplayer, Multiplayer, and Zombies

• Max FOV increased to 90
  • Fix: Horse falling through the world in Afghanistan when playing on some CPUs with 4 or more cores
  • Fix: RC-XD and the AGR sinking into the map in MP when playing on some CPUs with 4 or more cores
  • General performance improvements in SP, MP, and ZM for CPUs with 4 or more cores
  • Fix: crash when a 7th player tries to join a 6 player league lobby
  • Improved dedicated server matchmaking
  • Fix: some cases of "Connection Interrupted" in MP while loading into a match

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 23, 2012, 14:52 StingingVelvet

If they still do FOV on this engine vertically or whatever then 90 is like 140 in old-school terms, so it's quite high. Last CoD I played, Black Ops, I felt it was comfortable at 60 or so.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 23, 2012, 10:54 InBlack

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 10:12:
There's no server browser and every game is organized through a matchmaking process. The game itself is then hosted on a dedicated server instead of by one of the players' computers.

Which, for a game like this, is great. It's quick and dumb fun, and when I want quick and dumb fun, I don't want to sift through a bunch of servers running 24/7 nuketown only for the first seemingly vanilla server I find to be "NO STANDING TACTICAL REALISM."

Yeah but who hosts the servers? Are they somehow virtualized on some huge cloud supercomputer network? Valve has similar matchmaking for TF2, the matchmaking picks a dedicated server with the best pings for everyone but the server itself if privately hosted.

Does this game have standalone dedicated servers?

I have a nifty blue line!

27. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 23, 2012, 10:12 Dr. D. Schreber

There's no server browser and every game is organized through a matchmaking process. The game itself is then hosted on a dedicated server instead of by one of the players' computers.

Which, for a game like this, is great. It's quick and dumb fun, and when I want quick and dumb fun, I don't want to sift through a bunch of servers running 24/7 nuketown only for the first seemingly vanilla server I find to be "NO STANDING TACTICAL REALISM."

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

26. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 23, 2012, 03:38 InBlack

Dedicated server matchmaking? Huh? Can someone explain what this is please?

I know what matchmaking is, and I know what dedicated servers are but dedicated servers matchmaking??

Is this something akin to the system Team Fortress 2 uses?

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2012, 05:28.

I have a nifty blue line!

25. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 23, 2012, 02:29 eRe4s3r

FOV has nothing to do with consoles or pc, FOV is a ratio of screen size + Aspect + distance from screen. That means a fixed fov in 3rd and 1st person games means developers are fucking retards and it can annoy you on PC and Console equally. If you got a very large TV screen a low fov can actually make you just as sick as a 60 fov does on a big screen on PC or on a small screen that you sit closer to...

24. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 23, 2012, 02:19 Prez

inveigle88 wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 16:47:
Too bad this game sucks, IMHO. This is the worst gaming purchase I have made in some time.

I would think that after so many games with so little changing between iterations that one would know basically what to expect when buying a Call of Duty game. This would typically preclude a scenario where someone buys the game at full price and ends up hating it. Was this your first Call of Duty game? Just curious.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 23, 2012, 00:44 RailWizard

Well when they polish the same engine turd for near 10 years I should fucking hope they finally get some (minor)improvements in there....  

22. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 23, 2012, 00:09 RaZ0r!

Yeah I proclaim myself old school, but the multiplayer is outstanding.

The killstreaks are now scorestreaks and much toned down from previous games. The sprinting knifers are not near as viable as before. While the game is set in the future, it's very subtle and not way overboard in my opinion. They way you unlock weapons and the variety of weapons and add-ons are stellar.

The DX11 graphics are subtle but top notch, and with TSAA filtering there is no weird shimmering or anything while you are running making it very easy to see. It does make things look a tad soft, but it's good compromise in my eyes. The 5.1 sound is outstanding, by far the best of any CoD title.

The input control is very smooth. I'm not sure what they are doing input-wise, but it's seems they looked at it. I run vsync and triple buffering and I notice really no input lag at all with my DeathAdder. I also have yet to run into a 'bad host' game that is lagging. Maybe they don't have players host any more I'm not sure.

It's no Counter-Strike or Red Orchestra 2, but it's a lot of fun, really.

21. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 23:00 DangerDog

Too bad this game sucks, IMHO. This is the worst gaming purchase I have made in some time.

I haven't touched single player, zombies is meh but I've had a bit of fun with the multiplayer this time.

20. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 22:10 deqer

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 21:45:
a few who think themself old school are critisizing the game as being new school garbage that only raging kiddies would find enjoyable.

DLC!

lulz

19. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 21:45 JohnBirshire

Kajetan wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 18:41:
If you are soooo mature, why not ignore this comment above and just play the games you have fun with? Instead you rage on like a little child.

Didn't say anything about being "sooo mature", and your definition of "raging like a child" is a little bizarre. Your reading comprehension needs a little work unfortunately. So let me reiterate it for you, a few who think themself old school are critisizing the game as being new school garbage that only raging kiddies would find enjoyable. What I'm saying is that this isn't true, myself and many who have been gaming for a long time are enjoying it and getting their monies worth. So if someone is on the fence about getting it, give it a shot.

18. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 20:45 Sempai

90 Fov? How good of you!

/clueless

17. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 20:17 The Half Elf

deqer wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 13:28:
lol. fuck these newer generation games.

back in the day, in the 90s, quake 1 was released and had a console and gave you all the commands you could ever want to configure it. guess what one of those commands was? yup. fov.

people used fov 90, 100, 110, and 120. whatever they wanted.

go fuck yourselves, next-gen developers.

Um 'back in the day' Quake was the ONLY game that had this command and people didn't even know about all the commands till at least a year later.

First World Problems. Bitching about shit just because they can bitch about it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

16. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 19:25 bigspender

coldcut wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 13:50:
deqer wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 13:28:
lol. fuck these newer generation games.

back in the day, in the 90s, quake 1 was released and had a console and gave you all the commands you could ever want to configure it. guess what one of those commands was? yup. fov.

people used fov 90, 100, 110, and 120. whatever they wanted.

go fuck yourselves, next-gen developers.
I generally agree with you, but the problem is not in all "newer generation games", it's solely caused by (shitty) Console to PC ports, because for consoles, a lower FOV is correct.

the correct FOV is the one I choose to set. end of story.

oh look planetside has a built in FoV slider. whats that? its also free? *runs away*

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

15. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 18:41 Kajetan

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 18:35:

Blah blah blah, tired of hearing this crap.
If you are soooo mature, why not ignore this comment above and just play the games you have fun with? Instead you rage on like a little child.

14. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 18:35 JohnBirshire

Blah blah blah, tired of hearing this crap. I've been a gamer my entire life, and my favorite games include PC classics such as Wasteland, Tie Fighter, Darklands, Ultima Series, Arena: Elder Scrolls, Privateer, Syndicate, Civilization, and Master of Orion. I've played more games over the last 30 years than 99.9% of gamers. I'm not 13, I don't "talk shit" in voice chat or teabag people I kill, etc. All you haters can stereotype people who play this game to your hearts content, but I love it, have been playing the hell out of it since day one, and count it as one of my favorite games of this year. No regrets with the purchase whatsoever.

13. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 16:47 inveigle88

12. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 16:34 theyarecomingforyou

DangerDog wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 15:17:
Nice effort but I would think the main reason that consoles are 60 to 65 is it creates an artificial zoom effect, it's less about the peripheral view and more about the focal distance and wanting to make things on the TV screen bigger / easier to see.

the boost in FPS performance can't be ignored either.
As the video points out, 60-65 is actually the optimum FOV for consoles. The performance boost and zoom effect are simply bonuses.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

11. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 15:17 DangerDog

coldcut wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 14:04:
Correct FOV has nothing to do with screen size, but depends on viewer's distance to the screen roughly because of peripheral vision (in addition, some people perceive this differently and might need slight adjustments to not get dizzy).

A good explanation is in this great tutorial video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

Nice effort but I would think the main reason that consoles are 60 to 65 is it creates an artificial zoom effect, it's less about the peripheral view and more about the focal distance and wanting to make things on the TV screen bigger / easier to see.

the boost in FPS performance can't be ignored either.

10. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 14:14 ^Drag0n^

coldcut wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 14:04:
Correct FOV has nothing to do with screen size, but depends on viewer's distance to the screen roughly because of peripheral vision (in addition, some people perceive this differently and might need slight adjustments to not get dizzy).

A good explanation is in this great tutorial video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

Excellent video...I had a conversation with a level designer talking about how elements of architecture in game space often needed to be "altered" to appear correctly to the human eye, depending on the FOV. This video would have been a great adder to that convo.

Thanks again for that. Bookmarked.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo