Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's Thanksgiving here in the U.S., so happy holiday to all who are celebrating, and best wishes to all in the hope that you have reason to be thankful even if this is not celebrated where you are. Things are well underway here in the BlueTower, as the Chex Mix is mixed and the turkey is nearing perfection even as I type these words. I'm looking forward to spending time with the family, watching some football, and lapsing into a food-induced coma. We also have thanks to express, and most appropriate to this space, thanks to all of you for your support of this site over all these years.

Speaking of football, here are last week's results: Batman 12-1 (I don't think we can give credit for posting a Thursday winner on Sunday), Cutter 12-2, Jivaro 11-2 (skipped Eagles/Skins), mag and Blue 11-3, and Creston and Verno 10-4. Here are my picks for this week: I guess we'll have to see if posting so late means we just shouldn't count the early game: Texans, Cowboys, Patriots, Seahawks, Falcons, Bengals, Steelers, Titans, Broncos, Bears, Chargers, Saints, Rams, Giants, and Panthers.

Thankful Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Humbug 2.
Soccer Balls 2.
Stories: Printer ink that's pricier than champagne.
Discovery Cancels Dirty Jobs. They should have Mike Rowe tell the crew.
Chevy Chase is leaving NBC's sitcom 'Community'. People too close to liking him again.
Media: Thanksgiving Turkey Cooked with Flashlights.
1980s Video Game Companies Factory Footage.
Wedding Photographer's Hair Catches Fire.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Pure Evil Cartoon - Savage Chickens.
Follow-up: Puerto Rican boxing champ Camacho brain dead after shooting.
Twinkies bakers say they'd rather lose jobs than take pay cuts. Thanks Cutter.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2012, 16:58 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 18:41:
Meh, I figured the Texans would win but I was really hoping the Lions would pull it out for once. Thanks a lot, Seph, you jerk! Tell your jerk team to get it together!

From the stands it was a pretty amazing game. The booing from that bullshit touchdown lasted a whole quarter. Shitties of the game were: Schwartz throwing that challenge flag because he was "mad", Pettigrew getting that ball stripped, and Hanson missing that field goal (maybe Schwartz for kicking it on 3rd). I've watched Suh's latest "dirty play" over and over and unlike the rest of the world apparently, I can't see how that's supposed to be intentional.

edit: Really during the game I just kept thinking how shitty the Texans pass coverage must be... For the Lions it was a game more reminiscent of last year before the rest of the NFL figured out how to shut us down.

edit2: Ok over and over (like 3 times) on TV that apparently wasn't in very good quality or I was tired... wtf, just saw it on youtube and yes I see the kick now.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2012, 20:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2012, 12:53 Jivaro

WarPig wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 02:12:
Yeah, as a die-hard, but realistic, Seahawks fan I see the Hawks as two different teams; a very good team at home who can beat anyone, and a very mediocre team on the road who can lose to anyone.

Which is really weird actually because traditionally two things travel very well...a good defense and a good running game...and the Seahawks have both. To be not so great on the road when those are the key strengths of your team is atypical.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2012, 09:03 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 23:46:
Huh! I'm a sucker for time travel books, so I'll toss that in the kindle pile (currently 96 items, 4 pages ).
Yeah, I like time travel books also. Replay is pretty good, I've reread it a few times. You should check out the TimeWars series by Simon Hawke, if you can find them.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2012, 08:34 Verno

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 22:01:
Hey Vern, how about them Jets so far?

I BELIEVE

Knew I should have gone with my gut on the Redskins too.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2012, 02:12 WarPig

The Seahawks really aren't that great. They've won a few good games, but it takes a lot more than that before I pick someone to win on the road.

Yeah, as a die-hard, but realistic, Seahawks fan I see the Hawks as two different teams; a very good team at home who can beat anyone, and a very mediocre team on the road who can lose to anyone. Historically they've been really bad at 1:00 East Coast games although they're starting to turn that around (last year beating the Giant and Bears). A good defense and running game travel well though so I'm more optimistic than I used to be in games like this.

GO SEAHAWKS!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2012, 00:52 MajorD

Happy Thanksgiving Blue.

Thank for an awesome and informative site.

Enjoy,
MD

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 23:53 Creston

banddirector wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 20:38:
Ack - - you're picking the 'Fins over the 'Hawks? No wonder you lost picking the Cowboys!

The Seahawks really aren't that great. They've won a few good games, but it takes a lot more than that before I pick someone to win on the road.

Creston

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 23:46 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 23:43:
nin wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 20:58:
Did you read the book Stephen King book 11/22/63? I really liked it. Although the JFK part doesn't really happen until the end.
Interesting. Reminds me of a book I did read, Replay by Ken Grimwood in that book the main character also attempts to stop the Kennedy assassination. He manages to get Oswald arrested prior to 11/22 but someone else kills Kennedy in the exact same way.

Huh! I'm a sucker for time travel books, so I'll toss that in the kindle pile (currently 96 items, 4 pages ).

Thanks!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 23:43 Mr. Tact

Did you read the book Stephen King book 11/22/63? I really liked it. Although the JFK part doesn't really happen until the end.
Interesting. Reminds me of a book I did read, Replay by Ken Grimwood in that book the main character also attempts to stop the Kennedy assassination. He manages to get Oswald arrested prior to 11/22 but someone else kills Kennedy in the exact same way.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 23:38 Cutter

JFK wanted to pull out of Vietnam. He was on a course of de-escalation. He felt America had no business there, as the initial involvement was on behalf of the Joint Chiefs. They - he and Bobby - were also going heavy after the mob. And there was also the natural resources angle where he wanted to vastly increase national parkland, restrict mining and oil drilling. And there was the Civil Rights Act to end Jim Crow. And there was much more. In short he pissed off a lot of people in the corridors of power who desperately wanted to see him gone. He was really trying to do the right thing for the people which is why they murdered him and all who do so - MLK, Gandhi, etc.

That's not to say the man was a saint by any stretch but he was far and away the best president in a very long time. He really cared about working people, minorities, advancing America scientifically - NASA, set the stage for the moon landings, and a ton of other stuff, and so on. That's why they referred to it as Camelot. There was a tremendous amount of hope then that has since been lost. Jesus, if nothing else he brought the world back from the edge of WWIII. Can you imagine if someone like Reagan, Dubya or even Romney had to deal with something like the Cuban missile crisis? We would not be here discussing it today.

LBJ escalated the Vietnam war and all his positives were holdovers from Kennedy's legacy. LBJ was more interested in the office than the people.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 23:09 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 21:18:
I still wonder what would have happened if JFK had his second term. Would have been interesting to be sure.

Thanks, man. I'll give it a read. JFK is still my fave "modern" president. I'm something of a JFK historian and while Let the Word Go Forth: The Speeches, Statements, and Writings of John F. Kennedy may not be everyone's cup of tea I love it. Teddy Sorensen - JFKs speechwriter - was an incredible man in an of himself. I just think it'd have been a *very* different world today had JFK lived and had his second term. I still account my trip to Dallas and the JFK museum - grassy knoll, etc. - as one of the most powerful experiences of my life. I cannot recommend that experience enough to anyone who has more than a passing interest in American politics.

I'm wondering how you think it might be different. LBJ did some pretty great things as pres, like Great Society and the Civil Rights Act. And 'Nam was started by JFK, don't forget.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 22:01 Cutter

Hey Vern, how about them Jets so far?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 21:22 nin

I'll warn you that JFK is actually a small part of the overall book. But if you like the idea of time travel, it's a great book.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 21:18 Cutter

I still wonder what would have happened if JFK had his second term. Would have been interesting to be sure.

Thanks, man. I'll give it a read. JFK is still my fave "modern" president. I'm something of a JFK historian and while Let the Word Go Forth: The Speeches, Statements, and Writings of John F. Kennedy may not be everyone's cup of tea I love it. Teddy Sorensen - JFKs speechwriter - was an incredible man in an of himself. I just think it'd have been a *very* different world today had JFK lived and had his second term. I still account my trip to Dallas and the JFK museum - grassy knoll, etc. - as one of the most powerful experiences of my life. I cannot recommend that experience enough to anyone who has more than a passing interest in American politics.

16. XCOM Nov 22, 2012, 21:17 jdreyer

Bought the new one during the sale yesterday. DAMN is that a good game.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 20:58 nin

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 20:38 banddirector

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 18:05:
God, that Texans - Lions game was like Ineptitude 101. And DAMMIT, I know I should have gone with my gut and picked the damn Redskins. Fucking cowboys.

Anyway, the rest of my picks: Bears, Bengals, Steelers, Colts, Broncos, Dolphins, Falcons, Titans, Ravens, Cardinals, Saints, Packers and... I can't even think of Carolina's team name they suck so bad, but they suck less than the Eagles. So Carolina. Panthers?

Creston

Ack - - you're picking the 'Fins over the 'Hawks? No wonder you lost picking the Cowboys!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 18:41 Cutter

Meh, I figured the Texans would win but I was really hoping the Lions would pull it out for once. Thanks a lot, Seph, you jerk! Tell your jerk team to get it together!

Edit: Interesting how they were talking about the 49th anniversary of JFKs assassination and it was Pete Rozelle's biggest regret to take Salinger's advice and let the NFC play when the AFL didn't and the heat he got for it. I still wonder what would have happened if JFK had his second term. Would have been interesting to be sure.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2012, 18:52.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 18:05 Creston

God, that Texans - Lions game was like Ineptitude 101. And DAMMIT, I know I should have gone with my gut and picked the damn Redskins. Fucking cowboys.

Anyway, the rest of my picks: Bears, Bengals, Steelers, Colts, Broncos, Dolphins, Falcons, Titans, Ravens, Cardinals, Saints, Packers and... I can't even think of Carolina's team name they suck so bad, but they suck less than the Eagles. So Carolina. Panthers?

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 17:50 PHJF

Heeey!!!

I was catching Marketplace on NPR Wednesday night and guess what comes on? A spot about kickstarting video games! They interviewed Brian Fargo and talked about Project Eternity!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo