Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 23, 2012, 16:51 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 13:52:
Texting is awesome for times where you don't need the social entanglements a full conversation entails but you do need to quickly give someone information or ask a question. You can also text in many situations where voice calls aren't possible. Sometimes you just don't want to speak to someone but are forced by cirumstance to interact with them.

Texting is unquestionably useful, it's just that people take it too far and communicate almost exclusively through it or do dumb shit like text in the car while driving or in the movie theater. I text all the time and it's rarely frivolous shit about what I had for lunch (stir fry). It's also huge in the business world these days.

Verno how dare you buck the cranky old man theme of this thread.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 22, 2012, 13:58 Ant

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 13:52:
Texting is awesome for times where you don't need the social entanglements a full conversation entails but you do need to quickly give someone information or ask a question. You can also text in many situations where voice calls aren't possible. Sometimes you just don't want to speak to someone but are forced by cirumstance to interact with them.

Texting is unquestionably useful, it's just that people take it too far and communicate almost exclusively through it or do dumb shit like text in the car while driving or in the movie theater. I text all the time and it's rarely frivolous shit about what I had for lunch (stir fry). It's also huge in the business world these days.
I like to text Blue with my links. J/K!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 22, 2012, 13:52 Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 22, 2012, 12:39 Cutter

I really don't understand the need, much less the desire to text. It's a pain in the ass IMO. You have something to say? Call me and say it. I've trained people long ago that I don't text so if they send me one do not expect a reply. And worse still people waling around clueless banging into people and shit because they're texting. Restaurants, theaters, et al. Jesus, in Skyfall last week this chick in front of me starts texting and of course her phone is shinging like a beacon so I say really loudly, 'Excuse me, but that's REALLY distracting!' she apologizes and puts it away. Really? You're paying to be distracted by a movie and then you'd rather text than watch it? The fuck?!

I'd like to see a movement where businesses join the Farraday Cage Club and no cell phone use at all is permitted. I would happily frequent their establishments.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 22, 2012, 11:52 Verno

Enahs wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 09:21:
Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 00:16:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 21:34:
21% of you suck and are miserable excuses for human beings.

It's high time we just start taking away fucking licenses for that horseshit. Oh, you can't get to your job without a license, and thus can't take care of yourself? Tough fucking luck. Maybe in six months when you get your license back, you'll not have more important things to do than the actual act of fucking DRIVING.

I'd put all of them in jail for 20 years, but our jails are already too full. So taking away driver's licenses seems like a decent first step.

Creston

I kind of like the idea of a taking away there phone for a while. I suspect these are the same people that make me wait longer in line at the grocery store because they are too busy on their phone to listen to the cashier or to do it properly and efficiently at the self check-out.

I'd be all for that but unfortunately people will just put another phone on a credit card or something. It's difficult to do with that a car. Most of these people are never caught by the police anyway so it's all just wishful thinking.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 22, 2012, 11:30 Ant

I have a better idea. Let's get rid of humans.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 22, 2012, 11:26 HorrorScope

How about the jackwagon that comes out of fast food and is stuffing his face while he drives, he drops shit from his burger on his lap, makes a quick motion to access the damage. Then after that changes the station, picks up a soda in the other hand. The realizes it's hot and unbuckles his belt to take his jacket off while driving, oh the dog decides it wants to look out the drivers window... What I find sort of odd, is there are plenty of distractions in a car and only one is being singled out. Google Drive me car, save us!

Cell Phones can't be used on a plane because people don't want to hear others talk on a phone, but it's ok if they talk to people around them, some how that is different. People like their 4 hour plane rides to be like elevator rides, everyone hush and uncomfortable. I say rip the overhead compartments out, put a video screen on that dome like downtown Vegas and lets get the party started. But no, sit their silent and stoic for 4 fucking hours. Happy Thanksgiving.

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 22, 2012, 11:01 LittleMe

It's high time we just start taking away fucking licenses for that horseshit. Oh, you can't get to your job without a license, and thus can't take care of yourself? Tough fucking luck. Maybe in six months when you get your license back, you'll not have more important things to do than the actual act of fucking DRIVING.

I'd put all of them in jail for 20 years, but our jails are already too full. So taking away driver's licenses seems like a decent first step.

Creston

Softie.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 22, 2012, 09:21 Enahs

Creston

I kind of like the idea of a taking away there phone for a while. I suspect these are the same people that make me wait longer in line at the grocery store because they are too busy on their phone to listen to the cashier or to do it properly and efficiently at the self check-out.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2012, 09:28.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 22, 2012, 00:16 Creston

Creston

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 21, 2012, 23:50 Ant

Good thing I can't drive since I am so addicted to the Internet (not just the web).  

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 21, 2012, 21:48 Silicon Avatar

I got rear-ended by some woman who was texting while driving. I'm sick of people being so caught up on the net that they can't take 5 minutes to drive properly. If your life is that busy ride a bus or hire a taxi..  

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 21, 2012, 21:34 ViRGE

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo