Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter

A new Kickstarter from 22cans seeks £450,000 for Project GODUS, a "reinvention of the god game" from this studio formed by Peter Molyneux, who pioneered the genre with Populous over two decades ago (thanks Joao). They are shooting for a release in about nine months, but will use funding beyond their target to extend the development schedule. Here's word:

Populous was created over 22 years ago, and we believe that to date, nothing has come close to emulating its powerfully godlike experience. It’s this experience we aim to reimagine. GODUS blends the power, growth and scope of Populous with the detailed construction and multiplayer excitement of Dungeon Keeper and the intuitive interface and technical innovation of Black & White. The original Populous hailed from the 8-bit era but GODUS will use the most modern technology the world has to offer.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 19:44 CJ_Parker

Molyneux sold Bullfrog to EA and Lionhead to MS.

450K, regardless of currency, should be pocket change for this guy.

--> This is just a lame attempt to assess the viability of a Populous remake, using KS as his research and assessment tool.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 19:32 NKD

Anyone who gives money to this Kickstarter should seriously consider giving a more competent member of their family power of attorney to handle their finances.

Molyneux is the poster-child for people who should not be using Kickstarter.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

26. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 19:24 dumpy

I loved the black & White games, which is the most recent game Peter has been involved with that I have played. They weren't perfect, but I enjoyed them both for just how unique they were at the time.

Compared to other Kickstarter's, I don't think he's asking for very much. But I wish he had left room for at least another month.

I don't give money to any Kickstarter, as I prefer to know I will get what I want in return, and I have no interest in the little bonuses offered at each price point. I do hope that this Kickstarter is successful however.

25. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 18:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Yakubs wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 18:26:
This guy is the last person on Earth who should be given money on Kickstarter. His entire reputation revolves around promising everything and severely under-delivering. And then, as if that wasn't enough to ban him from using Kickstarter, he hasn't made a good game since the 90s.

Pretty much this. I'll wait and see if what he produces is any good before giving him my money. I'm not holding my breath either.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

24. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 18:41 Fibrocyte

I was going to make a joke about the picture of the 22cans team. I was going to say they could rename it "2cans" because there is only one female in the entire company. Then I found the other female and screamed.  

23. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 18:38 Hump

This is like giving money to a gambling addict who'll promise to "pay you right back" because he's certain he's going to win this time.

Go take a nap Peter. One day at a time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

22. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 18:26 Yakubs

This guy is the last person on Earth who should be given money on Kickstarter. His entire reputation revolves around promising everything and severely under-delivering. And then, as if that wasn't enough to ban him from using Kickstarter, he hasn't made a good game since the 90s.  

21. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 21, 2012, 18:10 Cutter

nin wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 16:46:
I'm going to go all Cutter and shit all over this one!

"Shit's in the wind, troop."

You really have faith in Molyneux to make anything good anymore? I sure as shit don't, troop. You feel me, dog?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 18:09 TangoBaker

We did get Dungeons.

Hahahaha. Just kidding.

19. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 17:55 dj LiTh

ASeven wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 17:26:
Also, on the Kickstarter topic, those who want to fund an Elite-type of game with a lot more information available than Elite Dangerous should take a look at this little project.

That looks pretty friggin awesome....very similar to the vaporware that is infinity: quest for earth.... I hope he can pull it off!

18. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 17:46 Dev

Parias wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 17:30:
Gadzooks wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 16:00:
Start a kickstarter for Dungeon Keeper 3, and ill fund it.

Why has this not happened yet?
Because its one of the many companies that EA bought out and killed, essentially so they wouldn't have a competitor. And EA still owns the IP. I still have the old teaser trailer kicking around for DK3. I would have liked to see it.

It would never be close to the sales of Sims, so it hasn't been made. Companies like EA aren't very interested in anything under 1 million sales, and they don't have a problem with leaving less untaken.

These kickstarters that get a couple million bucks? EA doesn't care a whit. Thats not nearly enough to get them interested. Its a welcome extension of the indie revival, but isn't nearly enough to make companies like EA worried.

Actually, I'm kinda surprised Interplay hasn't tried to cash in on kickstarter by now. They are desperate for cash, and to them (and by them I mean what is basically the corpse draining caen bros), a couple million would be a cool CEO bonus.

17. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 17:30 Parias

Why has this not happened yet?

16. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 17:26 ASeven

Also, on the Kickstarter topic, those who want to fund an Elite-type of game with a lot more information available than Elite Dangerous should take a look at this little project.  

15. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 17:20 ASeven

Well, I'm going to wait for more updates but I believe I'll end up funding this one, if only because I kept insisting on him doing a remake of Populous and this is it. If Moulyneux can get some of his sanity back, like back in the day, and apply it to this project then we may have the potential of him doing one of the best games of our generation.

I'll wait a bit to see what updates he does though, to see his crazy level. If it's way too high I won't, otherwise I have to keep my word.

14. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 17:07 Devinoch

THIS.

13. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 17:06 dj LiTh

I could use another populous game....but i wont be funding this. I'll buy the product when its done, complete, and reviewed.  

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 21, 2012, 16:53 HorrorScope

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 16:48:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 16:32:
How and why is this guy hurting for funding $$$? In the same vein as "Why does God need a spaceship?".
"Jim what are you doing?" and it was "What does God need with a starship?"

Lionhead started off as a good thing but Microsoft bought Lionhead and turned out nothing but Fable games, which is why Peter left.

I'm plenty fine on this side of the keyboard not knowing it verbatim. You got the point, that was what I was after. Good day sir! (Willies Wonker '71)

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 21, 2012, 16:48 The Half Elf

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 16:32:
How and why is this guy hurting for funding $$$? In the same vein as "Why does God need a spaceship?".
"Jim what are you doing?" and it was "What does God need with a starship?"

Lionhead started off as a good thing but Microsoft bought Lionhead and turned out nothing but Fable games, which is why Peter left.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 21, 2012, 16:46 nin

I'm going to go all Cutter and shit all over this one!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 21, 2012, 16:32 HorrorScope

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo