Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mirror's Edge 2 in Development

Ben Cousins tweets a response to a Eurogamer article to state that Mirror's Edge 2 is in development at DICE, finally firming up long-standing rumors the parkour game is getting a sequel: "It is general knowledge in the Stockholm dev scene that Mirror's Edge 2 is in production at DICE."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 23, 2012, 11:31 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 01:51:
Flatline wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 15:32:
It was good, but it needed some design tweaking. On one hand, rolling evoked some motion sickness in me (not much, but it was a puke-machine for some other folks), and I might actually try to do a blur/depth of field effect or something so that while you still get the concept of motion, the entire world isn't crystal clear with your eyes trying to juxtapose that movement with your stationary inner ear.

I'll never understand why people want these camera-mimicking effects in first-person games meant to simulate vision. When I look around in real life I do not see motion blur or depth of field the way games mimic them, plus when I quickly move the mouse or focus on one area of the screen my eyes naturally add those effects realistically, there is no need for games to simulate them.

It's probably my number one pet peeve of the last 5 years or so. Blur and depth of field are the first things I turn off when a game allows me to do so, unless the depth of field is used really well and in the distance like The Witcher 2.

I always find games like Skyrim silly when you can sit on a cliff and see everything perfectly with no DOF effects so I actually prefer it on. I agree though in general that its overdone. Blur and other dumb filters are often a cheap visual pizazz to satisfy console gamers who are on anemic hardware that can't afford the visual frills PCs enjoy.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 22, 2012, 15:14 Flatline

It was good, but it needed some design tweaking. On one hand, rolling evoked some motion sickness in me (not much, but it was a puke-machine for some other folks), and I might actually try to do a blur/depth of field effect or something so that while you still get the concept of motion, the entire world isn't crystal clear with your eyes trying to juxtapose that movement with your stationary inner ear.

I'll never understand why people want these camera-mimicking effects in first-person games meant to simulate vision. When I look around in real life I do not see motion blur or depth of field the way games mimic them, plus when I quickly move the mouse or focus on one area of the screen my eyes naturally add those effects realistically, there is no need for games to simulate them.

It's probably my number one pet peeve of the last 5 years or so. Blur and depth of field are the first things I turn off when a game allows me to do so, unless the depth of field is used really well and in the distance like The Witcher 2.

Your eyes don't go out of focus when you have depth of field? Wow... you've got better eyes than... well... any human.

At any rate, I generally dislike motion blur myself, but in this limited case it might be justified to have it as an option..

And the reason why I suggested a depth of field blowing out the world's focus *when you roll* is so that people who get motion sick seeing too much movement on the screen can play the game without horking their stomachs up. Instead of seeing the entire map whip by 360, you see your hands and knees/whatever, the ground, the sky, and that's about it. It may or may not work, but it's worth a shot. Or tucking the camera at a different angle and showing more of the model's body, or something to reduce motion sickness.

But I guess that makes me a fucking asshole for trying to make the game more appealing to people and giving you a whole goddamn switch you have to turn off. The horror! The horror!

29. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 22, 2012, 08:09 Jerykk

Motion blur can look nice if done well. I think Valve is the only dev to actually do it well. As for DoF, I generally can't stand it. Why would I want to make the game look blurry?

28. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 22, 2012, 04:15 Qbex .

... Blur and depth of field are the first things I turn off when a game allows me to do so, unless the depth of field is used really well and in the distance like The Witcher 2.

Could not agree more, that and lens flare in fpp - doing nothing but reducing fidelity.

27. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 22, 2012, 01:51 StingingVelvet

26. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 22:34 Jerykk

It's also the only game other than racers, where building a momentum is integral to the gameplay.

That's not quite true. Quake and Tribes are all about momentum as well.

25. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 19:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Awesome, I look forward to buying this for about $2.49 like I did the original, in several years.

24. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 19:29 Flatline

RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 15:38:
Did anyone ever pay full price for the original game? This doesn't seem to be the best choice for a sequel methinks.

I still have (and use) the messenger bag that came with the pre-order.

23. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 18:01 Mordecai Walfish

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 17:51:
Anyone ever tried this game in 3D? I imagine that must be pretty intense.

I actually felt while playing this game that it was the first one I really wanted to play in full 3D... I even have a "3d ready" monitor (benQ xl2420t) but could never justify the $100+ for the actual kit, as I know I would not get much use out of it at all..

Turning off the crosshair and playing through on hard with 3D seems like it would be the ultimate place to take this one, given the great deal of immersion the game already provides. Maybe I'll find a cheap set of used 3dVision glasses some day and try it out..

22. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 17:51 NegaDeath

Anyone ever tried this game in 3D? I imagine that must be pretty intense.  

21. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 15:38 RaZ0r!

Did anyone ever pay full price for the original game? This doesn't seem to be the best choice for a sequel methinks.  

20. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 15:32 Flatline

noman wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 14:46:
Just what the world needed, another first person game with platforming. Innovation this game is not.

Mirror's Edge is an amazing game, and very inventive in how it makes 'running away' such an exciting part of gameplay. It's also the only game other than racers, where building a momentum is integral to the gameplay. I have been going through it a second time these days, on hard difficulty, and without shooting a gun in the entire length of the game.

Ducking and weaving through obstacles, knocking enemies out unconscious running at full speed while bullets fly past you, never gets boring and the mouse/keyboard controls work perfectly fine. It's also refreshing to see that the game isn't streamlined to the point where you just head in a general direction with a button pressed and where the games makes all the moves for you. Traversing the obstacles at top speed require precise moves and timing.

I hope Mirror's Edge 2 will build on its predecessor.

That's an easy fix though.

What I'd *really* like to see is less emphasis on jumping/hanging puzzles (bear with me a moment) and more emphasis on movement/momentum puzzles. The jumping puzzles sucked the soul out of the game for me and brought was was a beautiful flow of kinetics down to a screeching halt. I have no problem with jumping as part of a momentum puzzle, but some of the jumping puzzles resulted in trips to jagged-rock junction (or in this case lonely cement alley), which encouraged you to slow down and look and time things way more carefully instead of *just going*.

I'd like to see maps with more open gameplay/free running options/routes than the corridors you basically were constrained to.

19. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 15:04 StingingVelvet

One of my favorite games this "generation," I honestly wouldn't change a damn thing about it.

I hope they don't change it much for a sequel, but I am sure they will.

18. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 14:46 noman

Just what the world needed, another first person game with platforming. Innovation this game is not.

Mirror's Edge is an amazing game, and very inventive in how it makes 'running away' such an exciting part of gameplay. It's also the only game other than racers, where building a momentum is integral to the gameplay. I have been going through it a second time these days, on hard difficulty, and without shooting a gun in the entire length of the game.

Ducking and weaving through obstacles, knocking enemies out unconscious running at full speed while bullets fly past you, never gets boring and the mouse/keyboard controls work perfectly fine. It's also refreshing to see that the game isn't streamlined to the point where you just head in a general direction with a button pressed and where the games makes all the moves for you. Traversing the obstacles at top speed require precise moves and timing.

I hope Mirror's Edge 2 will build on its predecessor.

17. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 14:32 necrosis

Here is to hoping they do proper 16:10 support.  

16. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 14:00 Tanto Edge

Me likey.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

15. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 13:16 theyarecomingforyou

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 13:00:
Nice to know they'll let Dice go back to a non-BF IP.
More likely this is a separate studio with the same name, like EA did with BioWare. It can't be the main studio, as they're working on BF4.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 13:00 NegaDeath

Nice to know they'll let Dice go back to a non-BF IP.  

13. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 12:58 Cutter

Pfft, they should make a sequel to The Saboteur instead!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 12:50 theyarecomingforyou

I'd love to be excited about this, as I really enjoyed the original. Unfortunately this is EA we're talking about, so it won't be available on Steam and they're pretty good at fucking up franchises.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo