Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Look at that: Another year, another birthday for me, as much as I hate being predictable. One thing you learn about being born on this date is that it's the day before JFK's assassination, as it is always in the news around now. The other thing you learn is that the 22nd is the earliest day that can be Thanksgiving in the U.S., and this is one of those years. This isn't a big problem, and it certainly wasn't like a kid born near Christmas as I grew up, but it does mean that my celebration today will include such choice moments as cleaning bathrooms and bathing doggies to prepare for company tomorrow.

R.I.P.: Billy Scott Dead- R&B Singer Dies At 70.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Stack of Defence.
Stories: Why Trevell Coleman Charged Himself With Murder.
Former boxer 'Macho' Camacho shot in Puerto Rico.
Science: New Smell Discovered.
Media: Batman's Wheel of Fortune.
Will We Ever Run Out of New Music?
The Funnies: Brevity.
Follow-up: Kasdan, Kinberg To Pen "Star Wars" 8 & 9.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 20:55 Mr. Tact

Just
End
The
Season!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 12:16 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 11:42:
My picks for today, rest to come in next OOTB:

Texans, Cowboys, Jets

Oh Verno. Hahaha.

Actually, the Jets do always play the Pats tough, but I doubt this team has got it in them.

So Texans, Patriots... and then... hmmm, Redskins played very very well last week, but... Cowboys.

Creston

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 11:42 Verno

My picks for today, rest to come in next OOTB:

Texans, Cowboys, Jets

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 10:20 xXBatmanXx

pICKS FOR TODAY:

HOU, Cowgirls, NE.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 05:11 InBlack

Better late than never, happy birthday Blue!  

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 02:20 banddirector

Acleacius wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 14:39:
Happy Birthday Blue! Cake

+1 !!!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 00:25 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 23:51:
And as for real-time dynamic weather, didn't MS Flight have that? Maybe Ship Simulator Extreme too? And I'm sure I've seen some weather related mods for Skyrim. I'll be starting a new playthough at Xmas when I pick up the DLC for the Steam Xmas sale so hopefully I can find some then.

Well, yeah, I mean there a lot of games that have weather 'effects', and they might be dynamic in nature but I'm talking like a full weather/climate model with jet streams and everything. It changes on it's own based on a sophisticated mathematical algorithm...thing and gives you totally 'on-the-fly' weather conditions no matter where you are in the game world. On top of that, it would be cool to be able to see the cloud and rain/snow/storm patterns from above, maybe watch hurricanes/typhoons form and dissipate (like that awesome storm in HALO Reach!), trying to forecast where they would make landfall based on projections (since it is all fully dynamic, like the real weather, it's hard to know what will happen hours down the line)...

Hell, maybe even a full-fledged weather prediction sub-game. Be a weather man, then drive, run/walk or fly in it! Yes, MS Flight Simulator has had weather and there are a couple really good weather add-ons, but nothing as grand as what I have in mind...lol...The problem with weather in games like Skyrim and GTA4 is that it's pretty much localized. The parameters are there for the whole area but it only actually shows up just around your character. So, for instance, you can't be at a barn when it starts snowing and then go away for a few hours and when you come back there be a foot of snow on the ground...follow me? Something like what I envision, would make that scenario the tip of the iceberg... (uh, no pun intended)

EDIT: You know, something I just remembered...Surprisingly the first Midtown Madness had part of what I just described, ie. the snow would stick to the ground and accumulate over time. That was absolutely awesome! I remember driving around just to watch the snow pile up. Too bad there really wasn't anything more to the weather model than that and reduced visibility...oh, and of course, slippery roads...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2012, 00:31.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 00:23 Creston

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 23:51:
And as for real-time dynamic weather, didn't MS Flight have that? Maybe Ship Simulator Extreme too? And I'm sure I've seen some weather related mods for Skyrim. I'll be starting a new playthough at Xmas when I pick up the DLC for the Steam Xmas sale so hopefully I can find some then.

Realistic Lighting modifies the weather somewhat, making it more realistic. (though there's Fog an awful lot of time, for my tastes. I know it's realistic for a polar region to have shitloads of fog, but it does get a little annoying.)

They should have version 4.0 out by Christmas as well. And their lighting implementation is awesome.

Creston

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 00:20 Creston

Rigs wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 16:00:
Has anyone seen this game on Kickstarter? Holy Geezus! I don't know if it's been mentioned or not but WOW! That's an RPG I'd actually play! (Coming from a sim/wargame geek)...

(Ran into it while looking at this game here...)

=-Rigs-=

Their engine is awesome. My biggest problem with it is that they don't really appear to have a game to go with it, other than "We HATE linear games. We're making an open-world RPG." and that was about it.

Then they hired a writer about a week ago, and the guy posted some sample writing, and is was truly awful. I'm sure he was just being glib (because nobody who pretends to be a writer can genuinely be that horrid at it) but it wasn't the right way to sell the audience on your product.

I hope they fund, but I'm not putting money into it until there's an actual product at the other end. I was actually far more interested in Starforge.

Creston

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 23:51 Cutter

Yeah, the combat is impressive but how quickly would the novelty wear off? And more importanly, how good would the overall game be?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 22:55 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 18:22:
And yes Rigs, the combat on that CRPG looks impressive, but given their lack of history I wouldn't back it. Hope they make their funding though. If they do and it's good I'll buy it.

Well, the one thing I typically hate about RPG/adventure types is the whole 'you slap me and watch the numbers pop up/I slap you and watch the numbers pop up'', until one finally runs out of numbers and falls down, promptly fading out of existence only to show up again in the next 'random' encounter...Ya see where I'm goin' with this?

In other words, not even remotely realistic. Even Oblivion had me saying, 'Aheh'...Something a lot more realistic like that and not 'pre-made' by a 'buy off the shelf' engine sounds intriguing, especially with every game coming out nowadays plastered with an 'UNREAL' logo...blech...it's about time someone thinks outside the box...

EDIT: You know though, the ONE thing I've been waiting for and have yet to see, and I'm curious as to why, is real-time, dynamic weather. Hell, I would even make some extreme considerations for a real-time dynamic weather simulator, maybe something like a modern Sim Earth with weather and climate? Is there anything out there like that? C'mon, someone must know how...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 20:04 nin

crypto wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 18:27:
•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•
::: (_( …*…*…*…*…*…*…*…*…::::::::::::::
*: (=’ :’) :: Happy BirthDay :::::::::::::::::::::
•.. (,(”)(”)€…*…*…*…*…*…*…*…*…:::::::::::
Έ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.Έ

It's like a rorschach test - is it a cake? fireworks? are those boobs in the second to last line?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 18:27 crypto

•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•
::: (_( …*…*…*…*…*…*…*…*…::::::::::::::
*: (=’ :’) :: Happy BirthDay :::::::::::::::::::::
•.. (,(”)(”)€…*…*…*…*…*…*…*…*…:::::::::::
Έ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.ΈΈ.•*΄¨`*•.Έ

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 18:22 Cutter

So I was feeling inspired and made stuffed pepper for dinner tonight. It's been forever since I've made them. Forgot how good they are. Om nom nom nom!

And yes Rigs, the combat on that CRPG looks impressive, but given their lack of history I wouldn't back it. Hope they make their funding though. If they do and it's good I'll buy it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 18:07 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 16:00:
Has anyone seen this game on Kickstarter? Holy Geezus! I don't know if it's been mentioned or not but WOW! That's an RPG I'd actually play! (Coming from a sim/wargame geek)...

=-Rigs-=

Grand theft Auto meets Morrowind on a £150,000 kickstarter. I don't see how that could *possibly* go wrong

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 17:18 The Half Elf

Happy Birthday Blue, and how I am blue with envy that you get turkey the day after your birthday. You and the family have a safe Thanksgiving.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 16:00 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 14:43 El Pit

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 14:01:
"Kasdan, Kinberg To Pen "Star Wars" 8 & 9. The pair join Oscar winner Michael Arndt ("Toy Story 3," "Little Miss Sunshine") who is writing the script for the upcoming "Episode VII"

I'm getting excited. I didn't think that was possible for this franchise anymore.

Yeah, Disney seems to do this right. I'm hoping for a good director. Heard that David Fincher is on a short list (good!), but so is Joe Johnston, too (not so good). If I was a Disney top dog, I'd ask Chris Nolan, or David Fincher.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 14:39 Acleacius

Happy Birthday Blue! Cake

STEAM sale has begun, Flash sales are only lasting a couple of hours.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 14:23 nin

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 14:18:
Btw, Peter Molyneueyeeneyueueux has started a Populous-style kickstarter.

Creston

Seriously? Like he can't get funding anywhere????

edit: Oh god, it's from 22 cans - the cube people. WTF ever.

edit again: Choice quote comment from RPS:
Never mind how much credibility he’s got, surely he’s got a pile of cash the size of an aircraft carrier.

Exactly.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2012, 14:29.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo