Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Launches

The PlanetSide 2 Website announces the official launch of SOE's highly anticipated free-to-play MMOFPS sequel:

Players can opt to play as one of six classes to aid their chosen Empire in global domination. They’ll fight for control of key territories and valuable resources on three playable continents – Indar, Esamir and Amerish. With an extensive skill tree and free-form class-based system, players will be able to customize their soldier, weapons and vehicles to match their play-style, as well as the needs of their squad, outfit or empire. Battles can last for days or weeks, so players will need to build alliances and specialized combat outfits to take on long-term strategic and tactical initiatives. With aircraft and ground vehicles, as well as infantry combat, the battles will be larger and more intense than ever before.

As players earn battle experience, they’ll increase their certs and unlock access to new roles and extensive customization options, along with a variety of weapons and vehicles.

“PlanetSide 2 is designed to enable player-driven combat where teammates rely on each other to succeed and survive. With so much control in the hands of the players, every day we learn more about what they can and will do in Auraxis,” said Higby. “We’ve launched, but development will never be done. We have tons of plans in place and content in development to help fuel years of battle.”

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 03:20 InBlack

Definitely a hard game to get into, not for the "ME ME ME ME!" generation. Very steep learning curve. If you were born after 1990 then this game is probably not for you....

Once you do get into it its actually fantastic, the only thing that was lacking in the beta was a large server population.

Hopefully that will be alieviated now that the game has gone live, time to jump back into it.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 01:51 Frijoles

Yeah, not too impressed. First spawn was an almost insta death. Second was a 10 minute run from wherever it was we were going. Third and fourth spawn were death. Fifth death was when I quit. Had no clue what was going on. Killed a couple teammates (one of them shot me first). Felt slow compared to Tribes.

I'll give it another shot eventually, but first impression wasn't good.

10. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 00:22 Glykon

Played the beta, not veeery bad but far from what could have been...just like a BF3 with unbalanced weapons and officially persistent world.

Main problem is that bases have no defenses so if not a lot of ppl playing all the time, what you fight hard and hours to get whole day you loose to 4 ppl in 1-2 hours by night

Also ppl tend to preffer to just loose a base and then move back afterthe enemy leaves just to get more points and much faster than if you really fight.

Ah and if you want to find fights you have a list of zones where fighting is , on your left, for fast porting.

This is unfortunately another game where some kids devs think that everybody wanna hear brainwashed kids over voice chat, cause normally you didnt get any squad to coordinate any fights without voicechat, no quick commands
And without squad game is sooo boring and lame especially that netcode sux as in most last years games, ppl dont know wnymore how to make that cause all are console ppl

9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 00:16 Keith

To be fair, an introduction plays while the game is loading and the "angry drill sargeant" explains you are going in to a hostile drop zone. I was a fan of Planetside, and this seems to be more of the same, only improved. It's just no smooth for me at the moment. I will see an enemy, then they are two feet over, then I am dead. I am on a cable modem, and don't have framerate issues with other games, so perhaps some optimazations will come along and help resolve this.  

8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 20, 2012, 23:43 Wowbagger_TIP

saluk wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 22:02:
I had a real hard time getting into the beta. I had similar problems in the first game, but the new one is even less intuitive somehow. I tried playing it for an hour, but just couldn't find the fun. Anyone have any tips?

I'm sure it's great for somebody...

Same here. I really couldn't figure out what I should be doing or even who to shoot at half the time. I'm wandering around some base, trying to figure out whether I'm supposed to be defending it or going off to attack someplace nearby or what. Oh, let me ask this nice person coming toward me.. *BLAM*

Sigh... maybe I just suck at this game or something, but without some kind of tutorial or primer on wtf to do, I don't think it's gonna work for me.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 20, 2012, 23:40 JohnBirshire

So does it really just drop you in the middle of a battle with no idea what you're doing? Probably a really bad first impression for a lot of first timers, should have started you in a training tutorial and let you remap your keys and such. Seems like a terrible design decision. If I wasn't familiar with Planetside and knew how good this game could be, I would have said screw it and logged out, as I imagine a lot of people will do.  

6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 20, 2012, 23:20 nin

I see it's on steam, might have to check it out this (extended) weekend.

Man, what a great year for gaming. Too much stuff to choose from right now, and not enough hours in the day.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 20, 2012, 22:37 JohnBirshire

Whoa, seems like this came out of nowhere, I didn't even know it was close to being released yet. Been playing the hell out of Black Ops 2...but I loved Planetside, downloading now.  

4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 20, 2012, 22:32 SlimRam

I've got to give this a go; Hell I need a new game to make me feel 'combat ineffective' and generally get pwned by 12 year-olds with disturbing regularity besides Battlefield 3

Downloading now

I went to the 'Water and Ice' store near my house and I asked to see they're 'Secret Menu'.

3. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 20, 2012, 22:02 saluk

I had a real hard time getting into the beta. I had similar problems in the first game, but the new one is even less intuitive somehow. I tried playing it for an hour, but just couldn't find the fun. Anyone have any tips?

I'm sure it's great for somebody...

2. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 20, 2012, 21:48 The Half Elf

It's not bad, but I wish they had the starting area's (and area's to play around with vehicles/units) from PS1 (only smaller).  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 20, 2012, 21:46 Beelzebud

I'm going to give it a chance just because T-Ray worked on it, and he did some damn fine shit for the first two Fallout games.  

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo