Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Launches

The PlanetSide 2 Website announces the official launch of SOE's highly anticipated free-to-play MMOFPS sequel:

Players can opt to play as one of six classes to aid their chosen Empire in global domination. They’ll fight for control of key territories and valuable resources on three playable continents – Indar, Esamir and Amerish. With an extensive skill tree and free-form class-based system, players will be able to customize their soldier, weapons and vehicles to match their play-style, as well as the needs of their squad, outfit or empire. Battles can last for days or weeks, so players will need to build alliances and specialized combat outfits to take on long-term strategic and tactical initiatives. With aircraft and ground vehicles, as well as infantry combat, the battles will be larger and more intense than ever before.

As players earn battle experience, they’ll increase their certs and unlock access to new roles and extensive customization options, along with a variety of weapons and vehicles.

“PlanetSide 2 is designed to enable player-driven combat where teammates rely on each other to succeed and survive. With so much control in the hands of the players, every day we learn more about what they can and will do in Auraxis,” said Higby. “We’ve launched, but development will never be done. We have tons of plans in place and content in development to help fuel years of battle.”

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 10:33 wtf_man

Never had an interest in the first one. I couldn't understand why people would pay a fee for a mass frag fest when there were plenty of shooters that let you do that for free.

As for this one... I can't say much has changed in my interest level... but that is only because I stopped doing multi-player in shooters a long time ago.

For those who enjoy this sort of thing... I hope you have a blast.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 10:02 Theo

Beamer wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 09:55:
InBlack wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 03:20:
Definitely a hard game to get into, not for the "ME ME ME ME!" generation. Very steep learning curve. If you were born after 1990 then this game is probably not for you....

You really think the average CoD player is under 22?

Some people can be seriously demented in their own superiority complex. I guess you get that in every hobby. Somewhere out there some guy thinks he's special because he thinks his decision to collect only stamps from Burma makes him more intellectual.

this would get you +rep, if there was such a thing

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

30. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 09:55 Beamer

Definitely a hard game to get into, not for the "ME ME ME ME!" generation. Very steep learning curve. If you were born after 1990 then this game is probably not for you....

You really think the average CoD player is under 22?

Some people can be seriously demented in their own superiority complex. I guess you get that in every hobby. Somewhere out there some guy thinks he's special because he thinks his decision to collect only stamps from Burma makes him more intellectual.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 09:50 Omni

I like it a lot but it still runs like shit. =(  

28. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 09:19 Quboid

PunkiBastardo wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 06:30:
Apparently they screwed up the Steam version for us EU users.
If you're an EU user and downloaded the game through Steam, you will NOT be able to log in unless you use a VPN to create an account at SOE America and say you live there.

Is that's what's going on? I downloaded it and it said my account (an existing SOE one) wasn't a Promedia.Set1 account ... WTF?! It gave me a link to Planetside.eu so I figured the was the problem was locale but when I registered a new account there, it demands I change my password for security reasons (a password I'd just set) and then won't let me change it because there's a limit on how often it can be changed in 24 hours.

First impression: this game hates me and doesn't want me to play.

- Quboid

27. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 09:09 Armengar

I didnt find it fun either. I dont even own COD or BF so that doesnt apply to me Quite simply I had no idea what was going on, what I was supposed to do. Ive never played PS1.

Back to NS2 then!

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

26. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 08:54 Fibrocyte

Trevellian wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 08:49:
Only 13 members of my Outfit were able to get downloaded (Due to connection speed/when they got of work, not due to server issues) and connected last night. But even with 13 people we were able to run some pretty damaging Ops.

We had 2 hour long massive battles inside of Bio Labs (Probably the hardest base to siege) One was Defense, One was Offense. Both were amazingly fun battles. We had some other great skirmishes against enemy squads over outposts and such when we were trying to hold a few outposts that gave us Influence to 2 bases trying to help the zerg out.

We had time to run some vehicles as well. We ran a 3 Liberator bomber squadron with Skyguard cover on the ground which mopped up a lot of kills. We also managed to get a 6 Prowler tank column rolling with a Sundy Ammo dispenser running support that pushed front lines quite a bit.

Those of you having issues dropping in or Deploying to hotspots this is your issue with the game. You are what those of us who run dedicated Outfits/Squads call "Fodder" We let the Zerg run the frontline while we run ops on outlying Outposts to create Influence and opportunity. This is a Team Game in every sense of the word. Planetside was designed around Outfits/Clans in mind, not Lone Wolf players. Sure you can Lone Wolf in a base fight and do alright, but if you really want to enjoy the full potential of the game you need to be in a dedicated outfit.

This is probably the way to do it - with a group you know.

However, just jumping in to play was quite boring (yes, I found the action quickly).

I don't think I care much for the engine either. I can see why some would like this game but it certainly isn't for me.

25. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 08:49 Trevellian

Only 13 members of my Outfit were able to get downloaded (Due to connection speed/when they got of work, not due to server issues) and connected last night. But even with 13 people we were able to run some pretty damaging Ops.

We had 2 hour long massive battles inside of Bio Labs (Probably the hardest base to siege) One was Defense, One was Offense. Both were amazingly fun battles. We had some other great skirmishes against enemy squads over outposts and such when we were trying to hold a few outposts that gave us Influence to 2 bases trying to help the zerg out.

We had time to run some vehicles as well. We ran a 3 Liberator bomber squadron with Skyguard cover on the ground which mopped up a lot of kills. We also managed to get a 6 Prowler tank column rolling with a Sundy Ammo dispenser running support that pushed front lines quite a bit.

Those of you having issues dropping in or Deploying to hotspots this is your issue with the game. You are what those of us who run dedicated Outfits/Squads call "Fodder" We let the Zerg run the frontline while we run ops on outlying Outposts to create Influence and opportunity. This is a Team Game in every sense of the word. Planetside was designed around Outfits/Clans in mind, not Lone Wolf players. Sure you can Lone Wolf in a base fight and do alright, but if you really want to enjoy the full potential of the game you need to be in a dedicated outfit.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

24. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 08:23 Theo

Hump wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 08:06:
You've obviously haven't played for long.

Joining a game and simply playing run-n-gun will get you very little XP and you'll contribute nothing to the empire you joined. Not to mention it'll get you dead pretty quickly. The base capture gives your team specific perks depending on what that bases function is. Theres the certification point system along with other units of reward all of which allows one to upgrade charcter, weapons, armor, vehicles, etc.

IOW, just joining and playing like you would a game of CoD is futile. You may as well not play at all. Unfortunatey the kiddies are going to assume this is a sci-fi version of battlefield will quit in frustration without having a clue as to what the game is all about.

I played planetside 1, and was in that first round of testers. Frankly I stand by my comments, i loved PS1, PS2 is *ok*.

"XP systems" loadout's etc are hardly unique to planetside, whilst the bases you capture do impact the game play. you are *not* going to go go randomly cap a base yourself; you are going to follow the rest of the squad (if using my example); and in doing that you will level just as well.

Its not like removing enemy players from the battlefield by killing them isn't a worthwhile thing to be doing. (and inevitably the flow of the game takes you to the important places).

Also, i have to say, if you are concerned about XP over the act of shooting someone, you are totally missing the whole point of planetside; both 1 and 2. Just shooting enemys isnt pointless ever. you might not understand the game as well as someone else but you are being valueable all the same - and frankly be dammed with all the "why so serious" stuff.

23. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 08:06 Hump

You've obviously haven't played for long.

Joining a game and simply playing run-n-gun will get you very little XP and you'll contribute nothing to the empire you joined. Not to mention it'll get you dead pretty quickly. The base capture gives your team specific perks depending on what that bases function is. Theres the certification point system along with other units of reward all of which allows one to upgrade charcter, weapons, armor, vehicles, etc.

IOW, just joining and playing like you would a game of CoD is futile. You may as well not play at all. Unfortunatey the kiddies are going to assume this is a sci-fi version of battlefield will quit in frustration without having a clue as to what the game is all about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

22. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 07:40 Theo

NKD wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 03:49:

Once you do get into it its actually fantastic, the only thing that was lacking in the beta was a large server population.

Hopefully that will be alieviated now that the game has gone live, time to jump back into it.

Yup, not really an easy-mode game, nor a game for need-to-leave-the-gene-pool COD players. There's no logging on for 30 minutes, killing a few people, calling them gingers and/or fags and logging off. At least not if you want to have any fun or accomplish anything. You have to be working with a lot of other players to do anything. But the scale is rewarding once you find a crew to roll with.

Log in to game, Press Insert, (get placed in squad), press insert again *(get teliported to a squad mate), shoot someone. doesn't seem overly complicated to me.

Other than getting used to the scale there is nothing complicated about this game. point gun. shoot. done.

21. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 07:18 Fibrocyte

NKD wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 03:49:

Once you do get into it its actually fantastic, the only thing that was lacking in the beta was a large server population.

Hopefully that will be alieviated now that the game has gone live, time to jump back into it.

Yup, not really an easy-mode game, nor a game for need-to-leave-the-gene-pool COD players. There's no logging on for 30 minutes, killing a few people, calling them gingers and/or fags and logging off. At least not if you want to have any fun or accomplish anything. You have to be working with a lot of other players to do anything. But the scale is rewarding once you find a crew to roll with.

What to know how I know you're a ginger?

20. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 07:18 Fibrocyte

SlimRam wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 22:32:
I've got to give this a go; Hell I need a new game to make me feel 'combat ineffective' and generally get pwned by 12 year-olds with disturbing regularity besides Battlefield 3

Downloading now

I'm in the same boat - I get smashed by the youngins in all online combat FPS games. I'm not even that old, either - it is more about practice. They play 18 out of 24 hours a day and I play 2 hours per month.

Also, what's a train wreak?

19. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 07:05 Mordecai Walfish

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 23:40:
So does it really just drop you in the middle of a battle with no idea what you're doing? Probably a really bad first impression for a lot of first timers, should have started you in a training tutorial and let you remap your keys and such. Seems like a terrible design decision. If I wasn't familiar with Planetside and knew how good this game could be, I would have said screw it and logged out, as I imagine a lot of people will do.

Even worse for those of us who use non-standard keyboard layouts/bindings. Getting air-dropped right into the game without being able to set anything up first was kind of jarring, no doubt. Then seeing all the miscellaneous bindings that had little to no description made things even worse.

On the fence about this one currently.. I liked some aspects of it.. but others seemed kind of dull to me. I'll have to play more to really get into the teamplay aspects and such, I guess.

18. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 07:04 shinchan0s

I spent about a week playing it and I only had one "epic" firefight (and it was epic) where we besieged a heavily defended base. Yeah, the game definitely needs guys dedicated to transports and mobile spawns. Even then, what's the point? There's so many bases. The maps need fewer bases. BF2 had the same problem with capture points. Yawn.  

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 06:51 Zetler

This game is confusing as hell. It's a lot harder to get into than say, BF3.  

16. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 06:30 PunkiBastardo

Apparently they screwed up the Steam version for us EU users.
If you're an EU user and downloaded the game through Steam, you will NOT be able to log in unless you use a VPN to create an account at SOE America and say you live there.

15. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 05:51 OldTimber

Hmmm ran around for almost 2hrs before it crashed to my desktop, but then looked like the servers went down also so not sure if it was a chicken or egg issue.
Felt way too much like the original Tribes to me, never played PS1 so can't compare it to that.
Engine probably will be better for a pure MMO, just didn't seem right for now. Would love to see what could have been done with something like the Just Cause 2 engine in this game.
Movement brought back the old Unreal engine feel compared to a idtech engine game, just not that smoothness to it and more of a jerkyness.

Probably will give it another try or 2 but just can't see paying the 14.99 a month for a sub for something like this. No loot and just can't see paying for some xp/resource gain percentage.

14. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 03:59 sir

This is my favourite game by far of 2012. It's certainly not a game that you can jump into right away and expect to be 'pwning the nubs', but patience and experience do pay off.

Some have complained that they can't find a firefight - well, you just need to look at the map (press 'm'), look for a flashing zone on the map and press the green 'deploy' button next to it.

As for identifying friend or foe, well, everyone in your faction has a blue icon above their head. Anyone who doesn't...well, you know what to do

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2012, 04:09.

13. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 03:49 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo