Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III

The Windows edition of Assassin's Creed III is now available in North America, offering the chance to sneak around some American Revolutionary War battlefields in the latest installment in the stealth franchise. In addition to the retail version, there's a standard edition sold digitally through GameStop PC Downloads and Steam, along with Digital Deluxe editions (GameStop/Steam), and a DLC Seasons Pass (GameStop/Steam). Steam has a quick explanation of the difference: "The Deluxe Edition comes with the Season Pass, 4 bonus single-player missions, the official Assassin’s Creed® III soundtrack (mp3 files) and George Washington’s notebook (pdf file)."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 22, 2012, 07:23 Tim

Jesus H Christ - is this really a bluesnews comment thread that's overwhelmingly POSITIVE?

Anyway mines DL'ed his morning and i'll get it ready tonight for friday's unveiling - sounds like it's everything a massive AC fan could want so far which is awesome. I just hope I don't miss Jesper's wonderful music too much - not heard the new soundtrack yet (i've dl it as it's part of the game package I bought).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 22, 2012, 00:29 Creston

Played to act 5 today. Very very cool game. My only gripe so far is that the tree running is probably more finicky than Ezio's roof adventures were (despite an email saying that the Animus has been upgraded, and you should now "jump and fall in random directions far less.")

It keeps baffling me how the game thinks that if I jump in a certain direction, I must OBVIOUSLY mean to jump the 200 feet down to the ground where I'm left with a sliver of health, rather than to the tree branch that's 20 feet away...

Combat is smooth, though in essence it's still parry and counter most of the time, but this now happens while you're slugging with another guy. So it's no more countering everyone one by one until they're all dead. Now if you're fighting one guy, they will attack you in the back, but you can fortunately still counter. It's not Batman Arkham Asylum/City level cool, but it's very good combat.

Graphics wise it's incredible (the outdoors areas look amazing, and Boston is very well done), sound wise it's great, performance is great. The story's still a bit naff, but eh.

All in all, if you're a fan of AC, I think you'll like this. And if you're a fan of big open world areas, so far I think this game is massively huge. Just looking at the map, I've barely been anywhere, and already I've walked like 10-15 minutes straight just to get somewhere.

Oh, and their implementation of snow is really the best ever done in games.

Awesome game. Can't wait to play it again tomorrow.

Creston

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 14:33 Talisorn

Leper wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 10:45:
Wow, an abnormal amount of positivity here. I'll definitely pick this up eventually.

Agreed. I had to check the header to make sure I was on the right site.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 12:44 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 10:24:
Omni wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 09:56:
That apart have nothing to do with the game-play spam mouse1 or X to win combat.

Combat is not the reason to play these games and never has been. They're focused on exploration, platforming and story.

Nah I think that's a poor excuse for the combat when it comprises a significant portion of the game. Also the platforming has never really been that strong either outside of a few static placed buildings that were interesting to climb. AC is one of those games where you either like the sum of its parts or not, none of the elements are very standout aside from the engine itself IMHO.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 12:08 NegaDeath

The delay for the PC version was relatively short, they've lightened up on their DRM, and the PC port even has some superior features like DX11 support (after cancelling DX10 support waaaay back in AC1). Better Ubi, much better. Purchase for me.  

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 11:28 NKD

My favorite iteration of the series yet.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 10:45 Leper

Wow, an abnormal amount of positivity here. I'll definitely pick this up eventually.  

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 10:31 Creston

Yay, a 770MB patch. So here I thought I was going to get to play this morning

Btw, why on earth did they change the characters' faces so much? Desmond looks nothing like himself anymore, and God only knows who that chick is who is with them. She's not Rebecca, that's about the only thing I know. Only Sean still peripherally looks like himself.

And it'd be one thing if they change that and make the characters look better, but they unanimously all look worse than they did in AC2 on my PS3...

Creston

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2012, 10:41.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 10:24 StingingVelvet

Omni wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 09:56:
That apart have nothing to do with the game-play spam mouse1 or X to win combat.

Combat is not the reason to play these games and never has been. They're focused on exploration, platforming and story.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 09:59 Zanthar

I really like this game. The new engine is fantastic, and out in the wilderness there is some truly breathtaking scenery. I often just to stop to just enjoy the surroundings. I've played every assassins creed, and this is by far the best.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 09:56 Omni

jomisab wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 08:52:
The graphics are really sweet. Running on a GTX680 with TXAA and everything maxed. Rarely drop below 60fps. The draw distances are huge, and the overall level of detail is astounding.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 08:52 jomisab

The graphics are really sweet. Running on a GTX680 with TXAA and everything maxed. Rarely drop below 60fps. The draw distances are huge, and the overall level of detail is astounding.  

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 04:17 StingingVelvet

I hope this is discounted a bit in the Christmas sale, even though the game will have been out only a month. $80 for the complete package is pretty hefty and I made zero dollars this year as a volunteer overseas.

Looking forward to the game though, I liked 1 and 2.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 01:52 Tomas

This will be the first Ubi game I've purchased in a while (no, I didn't pirate others) thanks to them getting rid of their silly DRM. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully the PC port is solid and all. I hear they fixed up a lot of the bugs so technically it should be a smoother release than the console ones.  

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 20, 2012, 23:32 LittleMe

Seems like a good game so far! Thanks for the PC version, Ubisoft!  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo