Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution

Today marks the worldwide release of Hitman: Absolution, marking the return of 47 and this stealth/action series. Here's word from the description on Steam:

Hitman: Absolution follows the Original Assassin undertaking his most personal contract to date. Betrayed by the Agency and hunted by the police, Agent 47 finds himself pursuing redemption in a corrupt and twisted world.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution Nov 21, 2012, 16:32 D4rkKnight

I really liked this at first, even given its linearity - but the more I play it the less I like it. I'm 7 hours in and I don't feel like loading the game up to finish it anymore. Its essentially pushing me to make it to the next checkpoint door, not plan assassinations.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution Nov 21, 2012, 12:31 Quboid

J wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 09:18:
Please note that they are not technically "bugs" as they do not prevent the user from completing the game and at this moment we do not know if a fix will be available at a later date.

Their definition of "bugs" concerns me there.

[...]

TL;DR version: It's trying to be Hitman

That's a very bad definition of bugs. Bugs don't need to be game-stoppers to be bugs, they just need to be something not working right and for them to (pretend to) not know otherwise is a bad sign.

The impression I get, more from reviews as I've only played a couple of hours, is that it's not trying to be Hitman. It's like the development team was told "build a stealth game about a hitman, there's a picture of the protagonist" and they went and tried to take the best parts of Solid Snake, DX:HR and such like. So far it looks to be a good, not great, stealth game, but not a Hitman game.

So far, inexplicable checkpoint bug aside, I like it, but it's not what Hitman was about. Hitman was at it's best when they basically gave you a little slice of the world, put you in one place and put a target in another - there's your mission, now figure out how to do it all. Of course these little slices were designed for the mission and had scripted movement. I'm not going to let nostalgia trick me into thinking they were perfect open world games, but they gave you a good, big, open area and let you figure out how to beat the enemies, rather than Absolution which challenges you to beat the level designer. Reviews have said it opens up more later in the game and compliment one mission in particular, I look forward to finding out what it is.

Anyone remember who it was on here was obsessed about Hitman back when Blood Money came out? Obsessed in a good way, he wasn't irrational about it and he was very knowledgeable on the whole series. He must be disappointed!

- Quboid

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution Nov 21, 2012, 09:18 J

I've kept pretty quiet about Hitman: Absolution until now because I wanted to give it a fair chance and see what I made of it. Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of it. Is it Hitman? It has elements of Assassin's Creed, Quick Time Events, Splinter Cell, Hitman... and it feels off to me.

I haven't yet put my finger on exactly what it is that bugs me. Part of it is that there are invisible triggers as opposed to previous Hitman games where each NPC did their own thing at a given time. If I am waiting for something to happen but am too far away then it may not happen, and I have to then move to another location in order to trigger the events into happening. The game is quietly waiting for me whilst I wait for it.

Whilst I see where the disguise feature is coming from, I'm not alone in believing that it can get downright daft. If I wear a chef's outfit then I have to beware of all merchants due to them all being unionised or what-have-you. Whilst I can go along with that as a game mechanic, the speed of detection can be faster than the speed of stupid. A lot of times it's okay and there's a build-up so you have an opportunity to adjust your strategy. At other times somebody sees through the disguise before you can react and you get the seen penalty and kiss goodbye to silent assassin. Have to start over again.

Checkpoints don't work properly. It remembers which hits you've done, but anybody else you've taken out are now back on their feet and any sequenced events are undone and have to begin over.

Stand against the wall by a door and the E button now opens the door and makes you move to the other side of the doorway in one push. An oversight there. Tech support's response to this?

Please note that they are not technically "bugs" as they do not prevent the user from completing the game and at this moment we do not know if a fix will be available at a later date.

Their definition of "bugs" concerns me there.

Due to how trespassing works I wouldn't recommend trying for Silent Assassin until you've played through the levels a few times and familiarised with them. Less turbulence that way.

I haven't tried Contracts yet as I want to think up a good one. Also, it's had some problems with the server and apparently once you create one you can't delete it or change its name.

One thing which really bugs me is that I seem to get funneled into playing the game a certain way by the way the game is designed. I'm hoping that - in time - I'll find other things which I overlooked that give me more options, but so far I've found more variety with Blood Money than I have with Absolution.

I've only put 15 hours into the game so far so I'm still feeling around and learning all the intricacies. It has moments, but it feels to me like playing Planetside 2 - it's trying to be a number of things and has subsequently lost its identity. It has moments of Hitman, but has moments of other things too. Frankly I've pretty much given up on the melee as I can't get a bead on what I'm supposed to be pressing in time, so if it happens I mash random buttons. That is not a plus in my book.

TL;DR version: It's trying to be Hitman

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution Nov 21, 2012, 09:12 Quboid

The checkpoint system is driving me nuts. When you reload from a checkpoint, the level is reset and all the guards are back in their positions! On the first mission, I saved at the checkpoint beside the tennis court. When I reload, I spawn there and get seen by the guard who I'd killed and hidden before saving.

What the hell?!

- Quboid

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution Nov 21, 2012, 05:54 Tomas

Oh, yeah, the door thing is super annoying. Even though I've passed through a number each time I still try to shut them.  

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution Nov 21, 2012, 05:48 SectorEffector

I've been able to enjoy some of the added mechanics but the lack of first person and the previously mentioned disguise problem makes it hard to bear.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution Nov 21, 2012, 05:09 Jerykk

I'm not really sure how to get Silent Assassin on every mission since a lot of missions don't even let you assassinate your target. Some missions don't even have targets. I assume that Silent Assassin is now based on score, rather than style, so presumably I could get Silent Assassin if I stealthily killed a lot of guards and did other random bullshit to complete the "challenges." But that's the exact opposite of what Silent Assassin is supposed to be so... yeah. Pretty retarded.

It's ironic that the newest game is repeating many of the mistakes of the first game. Like having levels where you don't actually assassinate anyone.

Also, when you play on Purist, disguises are pretty worthless against people wearing the same outfit. They get suspicious instantly. Also not happy about the removal of keyhole peeking and the ability to close doors manually. Oh, and a lot of the level design is completely contrived. There are so many instances of objects you should logically be able to take cover behind or vault over but can't because the designers didn't want you to.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution Nov 21, 2012, 01:58 Tomas

Only played the first two levels so far, but it's been fun. I played Bloodmoney (and one other Hitman title), but wouldn't consider myself a Hitman fanatic by any means. that said, I do love stealth games. I would consider myself a Thief and Deus Ex fanatic.

I had a horrible sound issue where I had no sound until it would suddenly come in hissing and crackling until it nearly blew my speakers (cat like reflexes saved the day and my ears as well) that was easily resolved after figuring out that it doesn't like my quadraphonic speaker setup (I know, I'm lame...they are old, but they sound really good...haha).

Anyhow, I can see the validity of the complaints we've been hearing about, but I'm also enjoying the game for what it is. The presentation is really solid so far, and so I'm trying to enjoy it as just a new stealth title. So far so good. I find that I enjoy just using my last save point a lot and trying various things out. The nice part is you get credit for doing things even if you don't finis the mission. For example, to get a sniper kill credit in a mission you can assassinate the target and then immediately after just restart your last checkpoint and continue on how you really wanted to do the mission, but you retain the credit for having done it the other way as well. This may become more complicated later on, but in the first few missions it has worked fine.

And for 29 bucks (GMG is awesome)...I'm pretty happy just playing around. =)

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo