Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Natural Selection 2 Patched

Steam News announces the availability of a new patch for Natural Selection 2 to update Unknown Worlds' newly released action/strategy sequel with a number of balance changes and bug fixes, which are detailed below:

Balance

• Evolving Onos eggs now requires three Hives instead of two. Onos eggs are a complex matter, and are a work in progress!
  • Reduced Onos armor by 100 (-8%, effectiveness vs. Exos and heavy weapons impacted less because armor).
  • Welder research time increased from 10 to 15.
  • Exo armor changed from to 300/390/480/570 to 400/460/520/580.
  • Welder rate reduced from 125/sec to 90/sec.
  • Reduced shadow step cost from 15 to 10.
  • Increased blink momentum to be close to build 220.
  • Increase start blink energy cost from 8 to 12.
  • Shift Hatch now creates 2 eggs, but costs 5 resources and has a 5 second cool down (was 1 tres per egg, no cooldown).
  • Increased trait structure (Shell, Spur, Veil) mature health by ~20%. Also increased their base health to be closer to their previous mature health.
  • Reduced spore research time from 90 to 60.
  • Hive build time increased from 150 seconds to 180 seconds.
  • Reduced Onos Gore range by 0.5 meters.
  • Added cooldown to shift hatch ability.
  • Lowered max healing on Crag.
  • Added minimum healing from Hives.
  • Changed combat timeout to 4 seconds.
  • Reduced mega regeneration (max regeneration is now 10 per second instead of 120).
  • Doubled ARC rate of fire (halved damage)

Fix

• Fixed bug where the server would leak memory under some circumstances.
  • The ghost Power Node no longer takes damage, fixes a problem where the Power Node could not be rebuilt after being destroyed in some cases.
  • Fixed rare bug where a Hive could become invulnerable if it was killed in the same frame as it finishes building.
  • Fixed sound bug causing ambient sounds in the world to not play correctly.
  • Fixed unbuilt shifts being able to generate eggs.
  • Fixed Exo and Mine tooltips.
  • Fixed regeneration effect showing up in combat.
  • Fixed the "filter modded servers" option not always working correctly in the server browser.
  • Fixed ARC targeting issues.
  • Fixed already recycled units still taking damage.
  • Added protection against speed hacking.

Improvement

• Added more loading screen tooltips.
  • Added a display to the server browser to show the number of servers in the list.

Sdk

• Added the ability to specify "passes" for build rules in the Builder to setup simple dependency relationships.
  • Added SoundEffectInstance:SetCoords() function.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 21, 2012, 15:41 Ant

MrRadicalEd wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 10:02:
not as good I'm afraid.
Really? Dang. I loved NS1. Oh well. I will wait then since this patch shows a lot of tweaks.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 21, 2012, 12:13 PHJF

Well the maps have a lot more to them, but there isn't a lot of strategic depth available to either side and the engine is a REAL dog. It's disappointing how little new material there is. Marines got a flamethrower (that is never used by anyone) and aliens got... a commander. But that isn't so bad considering how enjoyable NS was in the first place.

It's still a wholly unique experience and a good way to spend $25. The high skill ceiling of most of the alien classes makes playing well with them intense and rewarding experiences.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 21, 2012, 10:02 MrRadicalEd

not as good I'm afraid.  

9. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 21, 2012, 09:23 Ant

How's NS2 so far? Is it good as NS1?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 21, 2012, 09:12 Armengar

After NS2stats was released (229?) it was fairly obvious aliens were winning more and more matches. That being said, the opposite happens on tournament games.

I think the changes above should be CVARS so they can be tweaked wihtout delving into LUAs (which get updated or outmoded).

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 21, 2012, 08:30 PHJF

They are properly tested though. Anyone can join in and test the new changes before theyre out by joining the beta channel in steam for the game.

No, they aren't. The Regeneration effect on aliens used to only kick in once you were out of combat for five seconds (rendering it useless), but 229 lowered this to 1.5 seconds. A developer said this was unintentional (it rendered regeneration very overpowered and was a serious reason for alien win percentage rising drastically). Prior to build 230 the win percentage was close to 50/50, and right after 230 launches it skews massively to the aliens.

Evolving Onos eggs now requires three Hives instead of two. Onos eggs are a complex matter, and are a work in progress!

This should have been more resolved before the game went retail.

Added cooldown to shift hatch ability.
Shift Hatch now creates 2 eggs, but costs 5 resources and has a 5 second cool down (was 1 tres per egg, no cooldown).

This absolutely slaughtered the only tool in the alien commander's toolbox.

You want to know why aliens win more often than not? It's simple. Bad players. Marines are often stocked with a bunch of dolts when they absolutely need team cohesion to win.

6. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 21, 2012, 07:35 Mordecai Walfish

Dades wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 22:51:
TychoCelchuuu wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 22:39:
This wouldn't be the Blue's News comment section if people didn't complain about literally everything.

He wasn't complaining that they are supporting the game if you two numbskulls had bothered to read what he said, it was the how and that does matter. Huge balance swings and updates that are so frequent that they aren't even properly tested tend to hurt multiplayer communities more than they help.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

They are properly tested though. Anyone can join in and test the new changes before theyre out by joining the beta channel in steam for the game.

The seemingly drastic changes came as a result of the heavy win % that aliens were getting as more players became accustomed to them. Marines were winning only 40% of matches before they implemented the changes and something needed to be done very quickly, as the resulting feeling for newer players is defined by whether they feel the game is balanced or not..

5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 20, 2012, 22:51 Dades

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 22:39:
This wouldn't be the Blue's News comment section if people didn't complain about literally everything.

He wasn't complaining that they are supporting the game if you two numbskulls had bothered to read what he said, it was the how and that does matter. Huge balance swings and updates that are so frequent that they aren't even properly tested tend to hurt multiplayer communities more than they help.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

4. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 20, 2012, 22:51 Sepharo

Well I don't know about you two but I know PHJF is actually playing the game so I'll give him a little credit.

Luckily, since I have yet to play since very early beta, I won't know the difference.

3. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 20, 2012, 22:39 TychoCelchuuu

2. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 20, 2012, 22:14 |oR|jonvall

Would you prefer they do nothing? It's amazing...somebody will always find something to bitch about!

If you don't patch a game, they bitch...if you patch a game....they bitch!

1. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Nov 20, 2012, 22:05 PHJF

They are pretty wantonly swinging the nerf bat left and right... it's like Blizzard is at the helm. And this isn't even the latest, ANOTHER patch came out today, and they don't even post the changelog when they push the patches out.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo