Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 21:07 Mordecai Walfish

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 16:50:
Kobalt wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 14:43:
The fact that nintendo won the console wars

It seems like MS was the winner to me. No doubt the Wii had it's wild fire moments, but no legs, too many old bitties bought it only for bowling.

MS imo has the market lead now, Live being the main reason why.

That said, I'm out of consoles unless they do something amazing in the control dept.

Agreed, this is *exactly* why MS was the winner:

More than 40 million of the 70 million Xbox 360 customers also have Xbox Live online subscriptions

Sorry, selling more consoles does not make you automatically "win" anymore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 21, 2012, 16:50 HorrorScope

The fact that nintendo won the console wars

It seems like MS was the winner to me. No doubt the Wii had it's wild fire moments, but no legs, too many old bitties bought it only for bowling.

MS imo has the market lead now, Live being the main reason why.

That said, I'm out of consoles unless they do something amazing in the control dept.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2012, 16:17 Frijoles

Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 14:21:
I'll be curious to see how the WiiU does. The buttons are supposedly very poor and cheap feeling, which is a bummer. And the screen is resistive, which means no multi-touch, and I hear touch can be iffy on it.

Buttons felt fine on mine. The controller is a bit large and will take some getting used to. I ended up using my Wii remote to play the new Mario game, while my son used the tablet to harass the enemies on the screen.

And that's basically what it is. A tablet. Moving the game from TV to controller is pretty cool, though. I finished playing and decided to check out Netflix. I ended up streaming a cartoon to the controller for my kid to watch while I switched the TV back. But if you already have a tablet, that's kinda pointless.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2012, 15:49 Verno

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 14:35:

And yes, they may have sold more Wii's than any other console that they ever released, but it sold on a gimmick

The fact that nintendo won the console wars in a way that you don't approve of doesn't change the fact that they won. Only way your posts would make any sense is if you replaced the wii with the ps3.

They had some very profitable quarters thanks to selling the system at a profit and strong first party title sales but whether that kicks up with the Wii U remains to be seen. Their last what, 3 quarters were losses and the 3DS is doing well but not gangbusters. The third party market was heavily stung by the Wii and while they did come up with a strong launch lineup, a large chunk of it is ports and rehashes.

They do have the benefit of launching first though and if they can bust out some more strong Nintendo franchises then it could be interesting.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2012, 15:06 Mordecai Walfish

And yes, they may have sold more Wii's than any other console that they ever released, but it sold on a gimmick

The fact that nintendo won the console wars in a way that you don't approve of doesn't change the fact that they won. Only way your posts would make any sense is if you replaced the wii with the ps3.

Your definition of "winning" is different than mine concerning this. Selling more consoles is nice and everything.. I'm really glad they broke into that ever-important casual & stay-at-home-mom demographic and everything.. but for software sales they completely lost. 3rd party support was abysmal save for a couple gems here and there, and the overall support from 3rd parties suffered more and more as time went on, where as it continued to blossom on other consoles.

It's not about my approval, it's about what they actually achieved here.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2012, 14:43 Kobalt

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2012, 14:35 Mordecai Walfish

mch wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 14:17:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 13:04:
Nintendo seemed to adopt a policy of being their customer's worst enemy instead of being a proper challenger to their rivals ever since the SNES era. They would be on top of the world right now if it wasn't for retarded mistake after mistake. They've been one of the most paranoid companies against piracy since day 1, and it does not take a world class economist to realize how much they have suffered as a result of that stance.

Most would say they 'won' the last console generation despite weaker hardware. Seriously, look at what you're saying. Wii and DS absolutely destroyed.

edit: not saying I support their decisions, but 'mistake after mistake'? Pfffft.

I was talking about home consoles only.. everyone knows they own the portable scene.

And yes, they may have sold more Wii's than any other console that they ever released, but it sold on a gimmick, and I would reckon that the software sales were nowhere near the success that the actual console was. They could have had a robust online plan that did not punish legitimate users with crap DRM, but again.. they dropped the ball when their competitors had solid online offerings in place for their competing consoles. That kept gamers coming back time and time again to their competitors, and not so much the wii.

Worst of all, the wiiU launch shows they haven't learned from their mistakes in the previous generation.. and as much as I love Nintendo, I don't foresee the gimmick strategy going over quite as well for them this time around.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2012, 14:21 Beamer

I'll be curious to see how the WiiU does. The buttons are supposedly very poor and cheap feeling, which is a bummer. And the screen is resistive, which means no multi-touch, and I hear touch can be iffy on it.

Biggest selling point seems to be that you can play games on it while other people watch TV. On one hand I see some benefits there - I've yet to date a girl that doesn't roll her eyes at me while I game so I simply don't game when they're around. Sometimes, if we're sitting around watching TV, I really just wish I'm gaming (there are very few things on TV that I find worth giving up gaming time for.)

On the flip side, those times aren't overly common, and I'm thinking the true solution is to buy a second, smaller TV to mount next to it. A buddy of mine has a 65" TV with two 32" TVs stacked next to it. For him it's about watching 3 college football games at once. For me, it'd be about gaming more.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2012, 14:17 mch

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 13:04:
Nintendo seemed to adopt a policy of being their customer's worst enemy instead of being a proper challenger to their rivals ever since the SNES era. They would be on top of the world right now if it wasn't for retarded mistake after mistake. They've been one of the most paranoid companies against piracy since day 1, and it does not take a world class economist to realize how much they have suffered as a result of that stance.

Most would say they 'won' the last console generation despite weaker hardware. Seriously, look at what you're saying. Wii and DS absolutely destroyed.

edit: not saying I support their decisions, but 'mistake after mistake'? Pfffft.

PSN: CaseDesignate

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2012, 13:04 Mordecai Walfish

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2012, 11:58 Creston

Solid transfer process you got there, Nintendo. Rolleyes

Creston

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2012, 11:39 Verno

I was checking out the Wii U hardware this morning and it is really a bummer, there are tablets with equivalent hardware and the memory bandwidth is pitiful even with edram to offset it. Texture heavy games will suffer, I still can't believe its only 2GB of memory. I have no clue how Nintendo claims to be selling at a loss, it must be that controller alone. Eyeballing just the console parts, external power adapter and factoring in a volume discount gives a hefty profit margin per unit.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo