Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration"

An interview on IGN answers some "burning questions" about Grand Theft Auto V, the next installment in Rockstar's open-world action series (thanks VG247). Along the way Dan Houser replies to a question about the prospects for a PC edition of the game, which we've presuming is a given based on history. Here's word:

Everything else is up for consideration. That's all I can give you. The main thing is we are not... we are a third-party publisher. We're not Nintendo, we're not Sony, we're not Microsoft. We love all of them in different ways. But we can do what we want wherever there's the appropriate business opportunity and chance to find a market. If that's on Apple we put something on Apple. Wherever it might be. I think that's the fun in what we do. We see ourselves as a content company that uses technology. We don't make it; we use it to make the most fun stuff.

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

66. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 21:48 PHJF

Only difference is now Microsoft coughs up enough dough to match, so only PC, with no single giant corporation to watch over its interests, is left out in the cold.

Or it could be that, you know, sales on either console will outsell the PC by like a million to one. PC sales are a drop in the bucket. Why would Rockstar spend time and money, however little of either is required, when they could make more console content that will drown out miniscule PC sales? When all is said and done on the consoles we may get a port. Or we may not. Maybe Rockstar is better off focusing all their considerable efforts and funds where the pastures are so much, much greener.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 21:22 jacobvandy

Prez wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:27:
I'm not getting why people are still considering a PC version inevitable after reading that interview - terminal optimism maybe? It's not like dude has a reason to be coy, not with the insane success of GTA on consoles. I understand that all other version made it to PC, but like they say on all those investment commercials 'past performance is NOT a guarantee of future results.'

Yet again, they do have reasons... Millions of little green ones, in fact. Console exclusivity is a thing, it has been Rockstar's thing for a decade. At least as far as Grand Theft Auto is concerned. They NEVER officially confirm a PC version until MONTHS after the console release. (Ex: GTA IV came out in April '08, no PC announcement until August, then it released in December.) Until then, you get PR people talking like politicians, because their hands are tied.

Hell, if you go back to GTA III, the Xbox version was initially in the same boat as PC -- to be released six months later -- but Sony paid them (Take-Two) to extend that and have it all to themselves for two full years. It did wonders for them, then, so it's easy to understand why they still do it today, with every major release. Only difference is now Microsoft coughs up enough dough to match, so only PC, with no single giant corporation to watch over its interests, is left out in the cold.

What is it you are unable to understand about this situation? I'm asking honestly...

64. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 19, 2012, 21:17 Shawshank

Considering how much hate there is for PC users asking for a PC version of GTA 5, Rockstar can shaft GTA 5 up their collective asses for all I care.

No PC version for Red Dead Redemption? Well f u Rockstar.

63. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 20:25 Mordecai Walfish

Its gotta be increasingly hard for them to release things on pc at the same time as consoles, with the ever watchful eye of the bean counters, always pushing to maximize the bottom line. Knowing most pc's out there can best consoles easily, they probably are keeping focus on consoles and not announcing anything so they don't detract from those sales. It's all business, obviously, and their bottom line is the main concern, in both the product and PR.

If people know a more advanced version is coming out on a platform the customer likely has in their household as well.. they risk losing an immediate sale. If they wait to announce it and draw doubt that this other version will ever exist.. then they likely get that initial sale from the hardcore fan and then a possible second sale for the more advanced version on PC that any true fan would probably desire as well. Even people on this message board have stated they will buy it twice, for consoles and PC. This is profit maximization, in the eyes of the bean counters.

62. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 19, 2012, 20:17 MajorD

Okay, don't do us any favors here!!! //shakes head

61. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 19, 2012, 18:35 Cutter

Don't play it then. More GTA5 for the rest of us.  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

60. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 18:27 Prez

I'm not getting why people are still considering a PC version inevitable after reading that interview - terminal optimism maybe? It's not like dude has a reason to be coy, not with the insane success of GTA on consoles. I understand that all other version made it to PC, but like they say on all those investment commercials 'past performance is NOT a guarantee of future results.'  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

59. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 18:21 Doma

sigh....

well I got this cracked 360 sitting here.

that will have to do until they can get this on steam so I can buy it

58. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 18:05 jomisab

Acleacius wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 16:15:
If it's true their games only sell a couple hundred thousand PC copies on Steam....then it's true their games suck donkey balls, just like the management.

Indie games without PR, sell more.

True, I should have said a "couple million" in my original post.

AAA games are released on all three platforms at the same time (or in very close proximity) all the freakin' time. It can't be a monumental task. (looking forward to AC3 on PC tomorrow btw, complete with TXAA and DX11 support!)

Unless, as one other poster noted, they may be getting special kickbacks from MS and Sony, there is no logical reason to not release on PC.

57. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 18:04 Dev

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 13:05:
If Rockstar were to port GTAV to PC they would have to do an exceptional job and that's without even considering whether GTAV actually improves the gameplay for the series, as the previously game was decidedly lacking and hasn't aged well.
[...]
Oh, and if they're going to include Rockstar Socialcunt Club then they might as well just stop right now.
Why would they have to? The previous GTA port sold well enough for the minimal effort they put into it. People buy GTA on the name alone often.
And at least with social club they patched it to not require that crap. But OMG its freaking annoying to install GTA when it wants to install all sorts of crap along with it.
Acleacius wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 16:15:
If it's true their games only sell a couple hundred thousand PC copies on Steam....then it's true their games suck donkey balls, just like the management.

I dont think thats true, isn't it usually one of the highest games played in GFWL?

56. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 17:56 Jackplug

He just said it all in not so many words, if there was a pc version it be a console port! I think I will pass on all Rockstar shit from now on, cos it be just a console port.  

55. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 17:53 Gib007

ELITE wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:04:
My middle finger is up for your consideration.

Hahahahaha, awesome. Ditto!

54. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 19, 2012, 17:52 Suppa7

Console gamers tend to eat shit, no big loss. They are the sole reason gaming has been so fucking dumbed down to chimp level. GTA is a chimp game for a chimp generation.  

53. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 19, 2012, 17:06 TheWitcher

There's no business sense in confirming it for the PC. This is how these suits think: "If PC fans of the series think it will not come out on PC, they will probably buy the console version."

Then, if we decide to release it on PC, they will probably buy that version too. If we don't release it on PC, nothing lost.

It's highly unlikely, imo, that it won't be on PC.

52. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 16:52 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 13:48:
Arithon wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:49:
Funny.

I read that as saying "I am a nobody PR monkey who doesn't want to lose his job by speaking without authorisation from the organ grinder.."

You know Dan Houser is one of THE major honchos at Rockstar, right?

Creston

Doesn't matter, Rockstar as a whole is the monkey here... Sony/MS are the grinder(s).

51. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 16:37 Quinn

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:07:
I think they just make so much money from the console sales they see the PC as a needless headache.

Honestly though, with the last GTA port that made my PC grow freaking tumors.. I wasn't looking forward to this game anyway.

They should stick with the consoles and piss off. I've realized for quite a few years by now that Rockstar lacks creativity anyway. Every game of theirs has to be some bandit-sympathizer one way or the other. Now it's true the typical console kid gets a total hard-on for that but I'm sick of those cliche anti-hero bs concepts. They even managed turn Max Payne in that same thug-infested fuckshow. I'd still like to see them burn for what they done with that franchise and the man.

Fuck you Rockstar. Now shoo. All my hopes for the PC gaming industry is in the European developers.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

50. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 19, 2012, 16:21 Kythlyn

Up for consideration? Sigh.  

49. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 16:15 Acleacius

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2012, 16:20.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

48. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 16:06 Dev

Don't they always say this though, on previous GTA games?

How about porting RDR, that would make some money.

jomisab wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:11:
If the PC wasn't a "market", then Bethesda would not have put Skyrim on Steam. And in the end, I think the PC version of Skyrim may have outsold both consoles combined?
No it didn't, nowhere close.

HOWEVER, each sale of skyrim on steam at $60 brings in minimum of twice the profit for beth that a console sale at $60 does.

So if you are counting platform profits for skyrim, the PC might well have come close to the console for beth.

47. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 19, 2012, 16:02 SM0k3

a simple yes or no would have sufficed, these cryptic interviews are always the most annoying to read. Almost seems like they are trying to imply that there isn't a big market for the PC platform, I don't know what statistics they're looking at but it's bulls**t.  

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo