Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration"

An interview on IGN answers some "burning questions" about Grand Theft Auto V, the next installment in Rockstar's open-world action series (thanks VG247). Along the way Dan Houser replies to a question about the prospects for a PC edition of the game, which we've presuming is a given based on history. Here's word:

Everything else is up for consideration. That's all I can give you. The main thing is we are not... we are a third-party publisher. We're not Nintendo, we're not Sony, we're not Microsoft. We love all of them in different ways. But we can do what we want wherever there's the appropriate business opportunity and chance to find a market. If that's on Apple we put something on Apple. Wherever it might be. I think that's the fun in what we do. We see ourselves as a content company that uses technology. We don't make it; we use it to make the most fun stuff.

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

86. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 22, 2012, 08:13 Jerykk

Rockstar delaying the PC versions of their games is nothing new. None of the GTAs past GTA2 were announced for PC at the same time as the console versions. I'd be surprised if GTA5 didn't eventually get ported to PC.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

85. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 21, 2012, 10:25 Sepharo

I played a lot of Shenmue...

Reminds me of the time I worked as forklift operator and in the evening played darts and listened to cassette tapes I spent my paycheck on.

84. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 21, 2012, 09:58 Verno

Yeah I never really got into Shenmue but a buddy of mine swore it was the greatest game of its time. DC had a ton of awesome games, great system that was poorly marketed and I hate to say it but piracy was too easy.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

83. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 21, 2012, 08:55 Prez

Verno wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 12:50:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 10:33:

I played GTA2 on Dreamcast mostly. Still the best console for its time.

Hell yes. Grandia 2, Power Stone, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio. So many great games for that system.

Wasn't Shen-Mu a Dreamcast game? I remember that game being ahead of its time.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

82. Re: Shareholders should ask about PC ports Nov 20, 2012, 23:43 Krizzen

ColBlister wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:03:
If I were a major shareholder in Take-Two, I'd be asking the board why they're leaving money on the table by failing to develop for the PC market. It is inconceivable that they would fail to make money, especially if they co-developed for PC and released at the same time.

My cynical spidey sense says it has something to do with a contract with Microsoft (to allow GTA V on the XBOX), something about not selling it on Steam, and perhaps something about selling the PC version in the Windows 8 store. Oh, and something about DX11.

81. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 12:50 Verno

Hell yes. Grandia 2, Power Stone, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio. So many great games for that system.

80. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 20, 2012, 11:31 NogSoth

If we are lucky they are stalling because they might be creating a GTA5 "HD" for the new consoles coming up. I guess PC release would ship with that same content. I assume the new consoles would scream for blockbuster titles when they release and Rockstar would not have time to complete another GTA at least until then.

79. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 11:29 Creston

Dev wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 10:28:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 20:25:
Its gotta be increasingly hard for them to release things on pc at the same time as consoles
I don't think RS has ever bothered to do that since putting GTA on consoles. Its usually about a year later that it makes it to PC.

The stupid thing is that PC gamers are what gave RS their start. The initial GTA games were pretty much PC only. And this is the reward we get.

While I tend to hold to that argument for guys like Epic, it's a bit crazy to use it with Rockstar. I think the first two GTAs sold like half a million copies combined, (not even all of them on the PC.) It wasn't until they moved to the console semi-exclusively and released GTA3, which is such a bigger-scope game than the previous GTAs, that they became the massive giant that they are now. It feels a bit dishonest to say "Well, the PC made you guys what you are now!"

And, of course, even if it was true, they don't give a shit, so...

I guess I may have to bite the bullet and get it for my decrepit PS3. I wonder if it will run in 640p, or something even shittier? :\

Creston

78. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 11:12 Mordecai Walfish

Its gotta be increasingly hard for them to release things on pc at the same time as consoles
I don't think RS has ever bothered to do that since putting GTA on consoles. Its usually about a year later that it makes it to PC.

The stupid thing is that PC gamers are what gave RS their start. The initial GTA games were pretty much PC only. And this is the reward we get.

I agree the dreamcast was the best console for a while.. I never owned one but played at a buddies house regularly. It always reminded me of a N64 with a disc drive.. something Nintendo *seriously* dropped the ball on. The controllers, on the other hand.. were complete shit. But that's why we have emulators, right? =)

77. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 11:11 PHJF

Yes clearly Rockstar owes you, you specifically, for their good fortune and not the fifty billion PS2 owners who bought the shit out of GTA3.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

76. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 10:33 Sepharo

75. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 10:28 Dev

74. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 10:26 InBlack

Acleacius wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 10:06:
The only way is to treat rockstar the way we treat companies like ea and ubi, to name a few. Fight back, stop buying their games. Yes, this means their console games.

Shhhhh! Ucrazy Quiet! Or you might be accused of you know...of having principles!

I have a nifty blue line!

73. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 10:06 Acleacius

The only way is to treat rockstar the way we treat companies like ea and ubi, to name a few. Fight back, stop buying their games. Yes, this means their console games.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

72. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 09:26 Verno

Prez wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 05:30:
What is it you are unable to understand about this situation? I'm asking honestly...

Just how the people here who sound so certain that a PC version is a foregone conclusion given the realities of gaming today, not to mention the ominous tone of that interview. There were millions of little green reasons to make a Red Dead Redemption PC version but they saw no problem leaving them on the table to use just one example. Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but in the gaming biz, it seems to me that "Up for consideration" is a euphemism for "No chance in hell! Suck it down PC bitches!! You are the red-headed stepchildren of gaming and I laugh at your feeble attempts to appear relevant when I have enough money from console sales to carpet my house in $20 bills!!!" Or.., something like that.

Yeah exactly. I pointed this out in a previous thread and got called cynical. History doesn't mean much in the context of todays gaming market, a PC version is not a foregone conclusion because they made one later for a previous title. Also exclusivity deals were well publicized since they have to be accounted for in the financial statements and no word on any of that. Not trying to be a downer but I hope people temper their expectations. A port of RDR would not have been difficult and it would have been fairly profitable even with modest sales but they didn't bother, just went to work on the next title.

I hope its all a smoke screen and it will land next year but I'm not going to hold my breath.

71. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 06:21 Acleacius

Dev wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:04:
Acleacius wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 16:15:
If it's true their games only sell a couple hundred thousand PC copies on Steam....then it's true their games suck donkey balls, just like the management.

Indie games without PR, sell more.
I dont think thats true, isn't it usually one of the highest games played in GFWL?
I was responding to someone's comment saying "They only sold a couple hundred thousand copies" as one of the main reasons they were not going to port it. I should have quoted it, but read 10 or 20 posts afterwards and forgot.

I would have thought they sold many more, so I was being flippant about rockstar. Honestly never play their games or keep up with them, becasue of the way they treat customers.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

70. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 05:30 Prez

What is it you are unable to understand about this situation? I'm asking honestly...

Just how the people here who sound so certain that a PC version is a foregone conclusion given the realities of gaming today, not to mention the ominous tone of that interview. There were millions of little green reasons to make a Red Dead Redemption PC version but they saw no problem leaving them on the table to use just one example. Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but in the gaming biz, it seems to me that "Up for consideration" is a euphemism for "No chance in hell! Suck it down PC bitches!! You are the red-headed stepchildren of gaming and I laugh at your feeble attempts to appear relevant when I have enough money from console sales to carpet my house in $20 bills!!!" Or.., something like that.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

69. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC Nov 20, 2012, 05:08 InBlack

I bet GTAV comes out on the fuckin iMac before it does on the PC! I bet you ONE MILLION DOLLARS it does!  

I have a nifty blue line!

68. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 20, 2012, 02:02 Sempai

He talks about how passionate they are about making fun stuff(and i believe him)but on the other side of that coin, it's quite apparent he(and his company)consider their(us)customer and fans nothing more than a number with a $ sign attached to it.

I understand the need for numbers and maximizing profits, it's a necessary evil, especially when you're dealing with the kind of budget these guys put into their games.

Even worse, being a fan, customer & pc gamer, he couldn't give two fucks about you and i.

67. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 20, 2012, 01:12 NamecaF

With that kind of attitude, no wonder people pirate.

Fuck Rockstar in their huge fucking arseholes.

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo