Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars

The Roberts Space Industries Website shows that the crowdsourced fundraising campaign for Star Citizen has blown past all the goals they have set for it, and now stands at over $5.8 million with a few hours to go. They reveal the new content being added after the $5.4 and $5.5 million goals are shattered in what is now clearly the most successful crowdfunding campaign ever. They describe their final goal of $6 million:

Six million was what it would take us to build the game we were imagining with all the bells and whistles we wanted included. Well, here we are with just over eight hours to go and that impossible goal where everything is unlocked is suddenly in sight. At six million youíll launch the game with 100 systems, a full orchestral score and a free copy of the first Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines.

Itís not as sexy as the carrier, for sure, but would certainly be pretty amazing if we met every one of our goals. So letís push this campaign all the way to the last minute. We can make this march!

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

27. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:00 BadIronTree

$2,132,667 in kickstarter

TOTAL $6,224,208

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:57 rist3903

I donated thirty dollars for every time they printed the word Privateer on the site.

Looking forward to this one!

25. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:57 Creston

stingray wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 12:07:
Yes, space sims are dead, here's another one looking for our support. The mother of all space sims, Elite: Dangerous ([url=]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous[/url]).

Yes, there have been a few false starts, but nobody's asking you to sell the farm. Only someone who has money to burn would pledge more than the retail price of the game. Yes, DB and FD are doing a poor job at trying to sell the game. Still, how many games have we purchased that have failed to excite us? Anyway, what else do we have to loose at this point? Yeah, let's play another Call of Duty or Modern Warfare game instead. I'd rather hope for the best.

You mean, other than my money? Because Braben isn't going to do shit with it? I like to think that not losing my money is pretty important.

Every single thing about his whole kickstarter SCREAMS "OMG, look at all the money Chris Roberts is getting, quick, we have to get in on this before the nostalgia wave collapses!"

The simple fact that he had NOTHING to show on day one, and is now showing such minor things that it's obvious that this is what they made in the days since the last update, combined with his complete lack of enthusiasm (he's made four updates in ten days, for a grand total of 1/10th the length of a single update that Obsidian did during PE), just makes it seem obvious to me that he's not really eager to do this. He just wants the money.

If it funds, he'll fuck around for a year or so, then report that sadly their procedural generation tech isn't working the way they wanted it to, and they don't have enough money to update it, thus there will be no game.

Anyway, I apologize for continuously bringing up Braben and his "meh" attitude. Kudos to Chris Roberts for his incredible crowdfunding campaign.

Creston

24. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:51 Creston

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 12:35:
Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:31:
6 MILLION dollars in crowdfunding money, and yet publishers keep saying that there is no market for a space sim.

Creston

That might be all the space sims fans.

Do remember great games like Freespace 2 sold roughly 100,000 copies back in the day. That is a far cry from what most games need to sell today.

Freespace is arguably the best sim ever made but sold like total shit.

Wing Commander sold far, far more than Freespace ever did. Also, these are the people willing to put up money. I'm pretty sure there's plenty more people who would gladly buy this game, but are not funding it for whatever reason (like me, for the reason that I'm tapped out at the moment.)

Creston

23. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:50 BadIronTree

22. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:49 Tumbler

Just dropped another $20 in for digital manuals. Amazing run. I'm also on the monthly sub for $10 so I can't wait to see the stuff that comes out each month!  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

21. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:44 NegaDeath

I was sure it wouldn't make it to 6.2 mil with 30 minutes to go but in the last 10 minutes it jumped up $60k. Insanity. I love it.  

20. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:33 nin

ViRGE wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 12:29:
It is done. 6 million!

goddamn!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:33 Wildone

Yea dont worry its just the console boys crying that they wont get this on their shitboxes  

18. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:20 Scheherazade

nin wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:42:
Every time I watch his updates, I just giggle at Braben's terse "Thank you for all the support" crap and no footage of any kind whatsoever other than his talking face in front of a monitor that shows a few screenshots they whipped together in a day. I feel sorry for all the people who support that.

I have no idea why anyone would support that, in it's given state.

I pretty much grew up on Doom/Quake, Wing Commander/Strike Commander, System Shock, Syndicate, Warcraft.

If ID, Ex Origin, Ex LG, Ex Bullfrog, Ex Blizzard North, had a kickstarter for something I think I'd like, I would give them the benefit of a doubt.

I donated.
If it works out, great.
If not, then I gave a hand to a guy that gave me a lot of fun when I was a kid.
I'm not gonna feel bad about it either way.

I would add that venture capital isn't for people that are not 'ok with losing money time to time'.
We're taking a calculated bet on Chris and his talents as a developer and leader.
Besides, I'd be happy to see the man succeed in making the game he always wanted.

-scheherazade

17. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:13 BadIronTree

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/?rid=36283
6.12 Mil
45 min LEFT GO PEOPLE GO

16. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:08 NegaDeath

Well I caved and plunked down $60, I just look at it as a really early pre-payment for the game. Looks like they're going to exceed $6.1 million.  

15. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 13:04 Fantaz

6.1M!  

14. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 12:59 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:39:
Every time I watch his updates, I just giggle at Braben's terse "Thank you for all the support" crap and no footage of any kind whatsoever other than his talking face in front of a monitor that shows a few screenshots they whipped together in a day. I feel sorry for all the people who support that.
I can understand why people want to support Elite: Dangerous - what with the dearth of space sims on the market - but it just looks shoddy. Meanwhile, Chris Roberts has created an amazing prototype for so early on and there is already a strong basis for it - not only that but it's based on CryEngine3, so we know it will scale well (especially as Star Citizen won't be released until 2014-15).

Optional Nickname! wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 12:46:
The negativism towards this game is unwarranted and much like the guy who poo-poos the brand of vodka the party host has provided in a failed attempt to impress the pretty girl he's chatting up, you can be walked away from and ignored.
I wouldn't say there has much much "negativism", just healthy scepticism.

Anyway, I decided that despite my earlier statements about not buying it unless it's on Steam that I'd support it anyway. I can always buy it again later but I really wanted to get in on the alpha and beta tests.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

13. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 12:57 ViRGE

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 12:35:
6 MILLION dollars in crowdfunding money, and yet publishers keep saying that there is no market for a space sim.

Creston

Do remember great games like Freespace 2 sold roughly 100,000 copies back in the day. That is a far cry from what most games need to sell today.

To be fair space sim fans are a pretty dedicated bunch, but for this to be the bulk of them would represent an unreal conversion ratio on crowd funding. There can't be that large of a percentage of the base participating in this.

12. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 12:46 Optional Nickname!

In the final moments, after viewing the ship specs, the available videos and with confidence in Chris Robert's proven abilities, and in spite of the surprising volume of suck whoosing forth from far too many Blue's posters, I splurged for my permanent craft.

While the game will not be available for nearly 2 years I am very confident a workable alpha will be available for backers in 2013 to test the mechanics and familiarize oneself with the UI and controls.

The negativism towards this game is unwarranted and much like the guy who poo-poos the brand of vodka the party host has provided in a failed attempt to impress the pretty girl he's chatting up, you can be walked away from and ignored.

11. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 12:35 Suppa7

Creston

10. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 12:34 Bucky

rist3903 wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 12:19:
I am trying to donate but the page keeps timing me out.

You can also donate via Kickstarter.

9. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 12:30 rist3903

That was me!

/kidding

8. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 12:29 ViRGE

It is done. 6 million!  

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo