Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars

The Roberts Space Industries Website shows that the crowdsourced fundraising campaign for Star Citizen has blown past all the goals they have set for it, and now stands at over $5.8 million with a few hours to go. They reveal the new content being added after the $5.4 and $5.5 million goals are shattered in what is now clearly the most successful crowdfunding campaign ever. They describe their final goal of $6 million:

Six million was what it would take us to build the game we were imagining with all the bells and whistles we wanted included. Well, here we are with just over eight hours to go and that impossible goal where everything is unlocked is suddenly in sight. At six million youíll launch the game with 100 systems, a full orchestral score and a free copy of the first Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines.

Itís not as sexy as the carrier, for sure, but would certainly be pretty amazing if we met every one of our goals. So letís push this campaign all the way to the last minute. We can make this march!

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

7. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 12:19 rist3903

I am trying to donate but the page keeps timing me out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 12:07 stingray

Yes, space sims are dead, here's another one looking for our support. The mother of all space sims, Elite: Dangerous ([url=]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous[/url]).

Yes, there have been a few false starts, but nobody's asking you to sell the farm. Only someone who has money to burn would pledge more than the retail price of the game. Yes, DB and FD are doing a poor job at trying to sell the game. Still, how many games have we purchased that have failed to excite us? Anyway, what else do we have to loose at this point? Yeah, let's play another Call of Duty or Modern Warfare game instead. I'd rather hope for the best.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2012, 12:17.

5. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 11:42 nin

Every time I watch his updates, I just giggle at Braben's terse "Thank you for all the support" crap and no footage of any kind whatsoever other than his talking face in front of a monitor that shows a few screenshots they whipped together in a day. I feel sorry for all the people who support that.

I have no idea why anyone would support that, in it's given state.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 11:39 Creston

wonkawonka wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:36:
Now they've got huge pressure to deliver. It won't be easy, and they can't fall back on the tried-and-true "drop features x, y and z to make launch date or budget".
The problem with crowdfunding is that you are pre-selling something fixed. If they fail it'll be a huge blow to large crowdfunded endeavors that'll take years to recover.

Let's hope we can play that game the way we all dream it's going to be!

I'd say he's got plenty of money, but I think time is going to be a major issue. Building a 50 mission single player campaign takes a LOOOONG time, especially if you implement branching paths.

But I'm very hopeful. Even his pre pre pre alpha footage looks really spectacular.

Every time I watch his updates, I just giggle at Braben's terse "Thank you for all the support" crap and no footage of any kind whatsoever other than his talking face in front of a monitor that shows a few screenshots they whipped together in a day. I feel sorry for all the people who support that.

Creston

3. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 11:36 wonkawonka

Now they've got huge pressure to deliver. It won't be easy, and they can't fall back on the tried-and-true "drop features x, y and z to make launch date or budget".
The problem with crowdfunding is that you are pre-selling something fixed. If they fail it'll be a huge blow to large crowdfunded endeavors that'll take years to recover.

Let's hope we can play that game the way we all dream it's going to be!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2012, 11:32 Rigs

"We can make this march us rich!"

Fixed.

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

1. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 11:31 Creston

6 MILLION dollars in crowdfunding money, and yet publishers keep saying that there is no market for a space sim.

Creston

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo