Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars

The Roberts Space Industries Website shows that the crowdsourced fundraising campaign for Star Citizen has blown past all the goals they have set for it, and now stands at over $5.8 million with a few hours to go. They reveal the new content being added after the $5.4 and $5.5 million goals are shattered in what is now clearly the most successful crowdfunding campaign ever. They describe their final goal of $6 million:

Six million was what it would take us to build the game we were imagining with all the bells and whistles we wanted included. Well, here we are with just over eight hours to go and that impossible goal where everything is unlocked is suddenly in sight. At six million youíll launch the game with 100 systems, a full orchestral score and a free copy of the first Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines.

Itís not as sexy as the carrier, for sure, but would certainly be pretty amazing if we met every one of our goals. So letís push this campaign all the way to the last minute. We can make this march!

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

47. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 15:54 Dev

Darks wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:38:
I know CR personally, and I have talked to him over the past few months about the game. I know for a fact that he is not some gold digging person who is looking for a quick buck to try and rip off people. He nearly created the Space Sims genre and this game is a lifelong dream for him and he will deliver. Itís easy to knock someone when you have little insight into their lives, but CR will make this game and deliver it as promised.
I never thought he was a gold digger.

My main worry is how much he's beholden to private funding. That funding far outweighs the crowdfunding ($10m+) and undoubtedly comes with strings attached.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 15:38 Darks

Zanthar wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:13:
Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:08:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 12:46:
The negativism towards this game is unwarranted and much like the guy who poo-poos the brand of vodka the party host has provided in a failed attempt to impress the pretty girl he's chatting up, you can be walked away from and ignored.

Wrong. It's the blind optimism and wishful thinking toward this game that's totally unwarranted here. And in couple of years you're going to see that.

After growing up on Wing Commander series, Strike Commander, Privateer, and Freelancer, Chris Roberts has earned my blind optimism and wishful thinking.

I've been waiting over 10 years for a game like this. If anyone can do it, it's him. Even if it's 1/2 of what he promised it's still better than nothing.

Absolutely agree with you on this. I know CR personally, and I have talked to him over the past few months about the game. I know for a fact that he is not some gold digging person who is looking for a quick buck to try and rip off people. He nearly created the Space Sims genre and this game is a lifelong dream for him and he will deliver. Itís easy to knock someone when you have little insight into their lives, but CR will make this game and deliver it as promised.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

45. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 15:13 Zanthar

The negativism towards this game is unwarranted and much like the guy who poo-poos the brand of vodka the party host has provided in a failed attempt to impress the pretty girl he's chatting up, you can be walked away from and ignored.

Wrong. It's the blind optimism and wishful thinking toward this game that's totally unwarranted here. And in couple of years you're going to see that.

After growing up on Wing Commander series, Strike Commander, Privateer, and Freelancer, Chris Roberts has earned my blind optimism and wishful thinking.

I've been waiting over 10 years for a game like this. If anyone can do it, it's him. Even if it's 1/2 of what he promised it's still better than nothing.

44. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 15:11 Lit_Reflex001

I say full steam ahead and let's all buy this game! If I had cash I would contribute right now!  

43. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 15:00 Parias

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:54:

Yeah, it's a risk. But I think based on the evidence that it's a small one. Could Roberts pull a Schilling on us? It's possible. But the man basically invented this genre on PC and has a history of shipping multiple games. And given both the work done so far and the enthusiasm, I think he'll be bouyed along with the current of good will.

I was skeptical too, which is why I waited and waited, but in the end I backed.

Ditto, I hardly consider this "blind optimism" - the guy already has a proven track-record. As the Star Citizen initiative is a whole new direction of course, it is still a bit more of an open-ended question on where this will ultimately end up going, and how well it will be delivered... I've seen little that gives me any fear so far, however.

42. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:58 stingray

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 13:57:
You mean, other than my money? Because Braben isn't going to do shit with it? I like to think that not losing my money is pretty important.

Every single thing about his whole kickstarter SCREAMS "OMG, look at all the money Chris Roberts is getting, quick, we have to get in on this before the nostalgia wave collapses!"

The simple fact that he had NOTHING to show on day one, and is now showing such minor things that it's obvious that this is what they made in the days since the last update, combined with his complete lack of enthusiasm (he's made four updates in ten days, for a grand total of 1/10th the length of a single update that Obsidian did during PE), just makes it seem obvious to me that he's not really eager to do this. He just wants the money.

If it funds, he'll fuck around for a year or so, then report that sadly their procedural generation tech isn't working the way they wanted it to, and they don't have enough money to update it, thus there will be no game.

Anyway, I apologize for continuously bringing up Braben and his "meh" attitude. Kudos to Chris Roberts for his incredible crowdfunding campaign.

Creston

Creston, are you telling us you pledged some money as well??? Because if not, I don't know what money you are referring to that you risk loosing.

I'm not disagreeing, I've been burned a couple times too, by buying digital garbage fitted with nice box art around it. That hasn't stopped me from playing games. So I drank fewer Lattes to make up for the loss.

Life is also about taking a few leaps of faith. I just feel that we lack a lot of the variety we once had in gaming and I missed space sims more than I thought. I suppose Braben was initially just testing the waters and judging from his reaction he knows the time is right to get busy. Frontier Development employs over 200 people and I doubt they are sitting on their thumbs all day.

CR did a much better job at selling his dream, no doubt. But he stopped short of selling us the Moon. Look at all the features he promised and all he has got to show for is a few videos and a few drawings... and some short stories... he can't even keep his site up and running. So what? Just the excitement from taking part in the fund raiser was worth it.

I only pledged the price of a video game. Where is the harm in that? ($6,214,559 / 89,357 = $69.55 / person)

Live a little, please.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2012, 15:27.

41. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:54 jdreyer

Yeah, it's a risk. But I think based on the evidence that it's a small one. Could Roberts pull a Schilling on us? It's possible. But the man basically invented this genre on PC and has a history of shipping multiple games. And given both the work done so far and the enthusiasm, I think he'll be bouyed along with the current of good will.

I was skeptical too, which is why I waited and waited, but in the end I backed.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

40. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:47 Dev

Blue, its NOT The most successful crowdfunding campaign ever. Just the most successful in the video game section of KS (if the total from their website is added).

For instance, the pebble ewatch (for use with smartphones like iphone) raised more.
Ouya was also higher.

You can see the rest of that info here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded?ref=sidebar

If you edit the blurb to put in Video Game or PC Game into that phrase, then it will be correct

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2012, 14:53.

39. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:47 Darks

nin wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:02:
Thanks to you and 34370 other backers, Star Citizen has been successfully funded. We will now charge your credit card.

Woot!

This 34370 does not include the number of people on the Roberts space industries page. Thatís another 90K plus there.

Not too shabby, looking forward to seeing this game completed.

And a PC exclusive, suck on that Console lovers!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

38. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:26 BadIronTree

BadIronTree wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:18:
Before the server die on us 6,234,394 $

From main page

The battle is over and we - PC gamers, space sim fans, WingNuts, Lancers and the rest - have won. You've not only met every goal we set, you've exceeded them. Star Citizen will be released because of your dedication and your willingness to put your money where our mouths are. Our gratitude is immeasurable; we owe you our livelihoods and will not soon forget it.

The question is: what happens next?

Our intention has always been to make Roberts Space Industries YOUR site. It's not a public advertisement for the game; it's a private community for those who are making the game happen. We want your input on what we're doing and we want to share our plans with you; the occasional passer-by doesn't concern us. The plan was initially to immediately switch on a wall that would allow only you, our backers, to access features like the Comm-Link and the Spectrum Dispatches. Kickstarter has thrown something of a wrench in this plan: we can't change the site until the Kickstarter backers are integrated, which may take up to two weeks, otherwise we would be blocking thousands of backers from participating.

Updates and features will continue, returning to a regular schedule in the next few days. The team needs a few days to collect ourselves and reform before jumping into the immense task ahead (after the last month, our husbands, wives, children and yes, pets, miss us!) We will also be launching new sections which have been in the works for some time: the Galactapedia will tell you more about the Star Citizen world, Engineering will introduce you to game mechanics that are being planned and Holovids will offer you video footage from the game as it takes shape.

What about pledges? Good news: those of you who got in on the ground floor are covered. Your ships have lifetime insurance policies and for the next year you will have the ability to purchase further tiers or upgrade existing ones at the initial prices. That's not true of everyone else: if you want to back Star Citizen and participate in this amazing community, you still can. but it's going to cost you a little extra as of now, and you aren't going to have as many extras (no lifetime insurance, for example.)

One issue which concerns us is what to do with the funding tracker. So we're going to throw the issue up to you: in two weeks, when the wall goes up, what do you want to see done with the tracker? Without the 'push' of the campaign it probably won't update very dramatically. but it's always possible it will go up enough to reach future stretch goals anyway. Should we keep it, remove it or put it somewhere else? We'll let the community decide.

We also have previously outlined the 'behind the screens' subscription plans available now. They're designed for users who simply want to give us a little extra support during the development - you're getting the whole story, regardless - but we will have some extra fun for our monthly contributors.

We can't thank you enough for everything you've done for this project. Please see the next update on 'The Pledge' for our promise to you. The next two years are going to be incredible for all involved and we're thoroughly happy that all of you are along for this exciting ride.

37. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:18 BadIronTree

Before the server die on us 6,234,394 $  

36. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:08 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

35. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:05 nin

Aaaand the server dies again.

edit: almost 6.3

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

34. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:04 shul

nin wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:02:
Thanks to you and 34370 other backers, Star Citizen has been successfully funded. We will now charge your credit card.

Woot!

Exactly! no one told me *this* would happen :-/

;-)

33. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:03 Creston

rist3903 wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:02:
...combined with his complete lack of enthusiasm (he's made four updates in ten days, for a grand total of 1/10th the length of a single update that Obsidian did during PE), just makes it seem obvious to me that he's not really eager to do this. He just wants the money.
Creston
Different people show enthusiasm in different ways. Some people even buckle down and do work, or so I have been told.

Great. Then don't let that person try to persuade other people how awesome your project's going to be.

Creston

32. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:03 nin

rist3903 wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:02:
...combined with his complete lack of enthusiasm (he's made four updates in ten days, for a grand total of 1/10th the length of a single update that Obsidian did during PE), just makes it seem obvious to me that he's not really eager to do this. He just wants the money.
Creston
Different people show enthusiasm in different ways. Some people even buckle down and do work, or so I have been told.

Well, he's had at least 10-15 years to do that...and yet nothing to show on the KS page besides drawings.

31. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:02 nin

Woot!

30. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:02 rist3903

Creston

29. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:01 jdreyer

wonkawonka wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:36:
Now they've got huge pressure to deliver. It won't be easy, and they can't fall back on the tried-and-true "drop features x, y and z to make launch date or budget".
The problem with crowdfunding is that you are pre-selling something fixed. If they fail it'll be a huge blow to large crowdfunded endeavors that'll take years to recover.

Let's hope we can play that game the way we all dream it's going to be!

We can help them by getting into the Alpha and Beta, and reporting issues.

28. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:00 jdreyer

Heh, I backed with 37s to go. The RSI site was crapping out, so I had to use KS.  

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo