Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars

The Roberts Space Industries Website shows that the crowdsourced fundraising campaign for Star Citizen has blown past all the goals they have set for it, and now stands at over $5.8 million with a few hours to go. They reveal the new content being added after the $5.4 and $5.5 million goals are shattered in what is now clearly the most successful crowdfunding campaign ever. They describe their final goal of $6 million:

Six million was what it would take us to build the game we were imagining with all the bells and whistles we wanted included. Well, here we are with just over eight hours to go and that impossible goal where everything is unlocked is suddenly in sight. At six million youíll launch the game with 100 systems, a full orchestral score and a free copy of the first Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines.

Itís not as sexy as the carrier, for sure, but would certainly be pretty amazing if we met every one of our goals. So letís push this campaign all the way to the last minute. We can make this march!

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 20, 2012, 10:10 Bhruic

Darks wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:38:
I know for a fact that he is not some gold digging person who is looking for a quick buck to try and rip off people. He nearly created the Space Sims genre and this game is a lifelong dream for him and he will deliver. Itís easy to knock someone when you have little insight into their lives, but CR will make this game and deliver it as promised.

I don't think anyone considers CR to be gold digging. But knowing him or not, there's no way you can say he "will" deliver. Well, unless you've got a time machine. I'm sure he'll try to deliver. But what he's promised is extremely ambitious. No matter if it's a "lifelong dream" or not, there's no way to be sure the project will ship in the state he's claimed it will.

Personally, I hope it does. I'd love to see a new game in the genre. But for me, until it's finished and some (real) reviews come out, I'm going to be taking a "wait and see" approach.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 20, 2012, 09:52 Iurand

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 08:01:
I just don't see how it's going to come close to Star Citizen with a fraction of the budget.

It doesn't have to come close to SC.

65. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 20, 2012, 08:01 theyarecomingforyou

DangerDog wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 21:11:
Okay, now space sim people need to give Elite:Dangerous kickstarter some love.
As much as I love space sims, that Kickstarter offers me zero confidence in the game. I just don't see how it's going to come close to Star Citizen with a fraction of the budget.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

64. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 21:27 Tom

Dev wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 21:18:
ASeven wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:55:
$6M... Publishers have to be worried at this point since $6M is enough to produce a AAA game, without marketing.
It maybe used to be, don't think it is anymore.

I think it could still be enough. But they'd need to stay focused, use an existing and mature engine without too much modification, only target one platform (PC), not take too long (2 years tops), and spend the money very wisely.

Of course, with Star Citizen, they've promised so many difficult and expensive things that it will certainly take more than $6M. But they have more than $6M, so there's at least a chance.

63. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 21:18 Dev

ASeven wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:55:
$6M... Publishers have to be worried at this point since $6M is enough to produce a AAA game, without marketing.
It maybe used to be, don't think it is anymore.

62. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 21:11 DangerDog

Okay, now space sim people need to give Elite:Dangerous kickstarter some love.  

61. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 20:59 Tom

The "putting up walls" is probably referring to the wall separating backers from non-backers with regards to various information releases from here on out.

It's described in the last KS update here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/posts/352301?ref=activity

60. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 20:23 ViRGE

edaciousx wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:51:
Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:40:
Putting up walls, having to pay to keep online ships from being deleted, etc. and god knows what other shite is coming down the pipe. Glad I didn't touch this and as time goes on there's going to be a ton of buyer's remorse on this one.

uhh... what?
I think Cutter is misinterpreting the garage fee game mechanic. If you're at a public facility you'll have to rent a hangar (with in-game currency) to hold your ships.

59. Re: Let Us Just Remember 3 Words: Nov 19, 2012, 20:11 Tom

SlimRam wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:37:
Wing Commander Movie....

Ok ok I KNOW that was a low blow but.....

THAT is what CAN HAPPEN when MILLIONS of dollars are being thrown around; I mean Chris Roberts WAS the director....

Jus sayin :)

Ouch dude, ouch! Yeah, that was a disaster, but ... Wing Commander 2!

SlimRam wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:37:
P.S. They REALLY need to bring back the Full Motion Video of the old games to really clinch this. I want to tell Maniac to fuck off/ not fuck off just one more time

"Where the hell are you guys?!?!"

We're still out here.

58. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 20:07 Mordecai Walfish

6.25 million right now. Holy moly..  

57. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 20:04 Asmo

Hrm, considering some of the games I've bought at release previously...

TOR
TSW:Lifetime sub
Duke Nukem (god I'm an idiot)
COD:Black Ops 1 (fuck that game was crap)

etc

The amount of money I'm risking on KS is relatively minor...

So far my KS/pre-support list is:

Wasteland 2
Project Eternity
Star Citizen/S42
Grim Dawn

Oh yeah, and I bought Minecraft in alpha (turned out to be a pretty good deal as well).

The first three are all based off games that were major features of my young gaming life. I don't think you can recapture the original feeling of playing some of those titles, but the calibre of the people making them is hard to fault.

Crowfunding is a grand experiment in democracy. We're so sick and tired of all the consolised or neutered crap with flashy graphics masking shitty gameplay that get's peddled, so someone has given us another way to vote with our wallets. If it works then we may actually start to see big production houses returning to what made them big in the first place, ie. producing good games.

Of course if the big KS's fail to materialise, I think you'll see the end of crowdfunding. These guys have taken not just the burden of meeting their 'investors' expectations, but quite literally the burden of changing the face of the gaming industry.

56. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 18:55 ASeven

55. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 18:51 edaciousx

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:40:
Putting up walls, having to pay to keep online ships from being deleted, etc. and god knows what other shite is coming down the pipe. Glad I didn't touch this and as time goes on there's going to be a ton of buyer's remorse on this one.

uhh... what?

54. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 18:40 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

53. Let Us Just Remember 3 Words: Nov 19, 2012, 18:37 SlimRam

Wing Commander Movie....

Ok ok I KNOW that was a low blow but.....

THAT is what CAN HAPPEN when MILLIONS of dollars are being thrown around; I mean Chris Roberts WAS the director....

Jus sayin

No but seriously, God bless the man for trying this, if I hadn't have lost my money on hookers and blow I would have tried to kick money his direction. I cannot wait for this game and will be absolutely wooden (think mahogany....or more like balsa) um...anyway till this comes out!

P.S. They REALLY need to bring back the Full Motion Video of the old games to really clinch this. I want to tell Maniac to fuck off/ not fuck off just one more time

Slightly Off Movie Quotes:

"I love the smell of napalm and 'Fruity Pebbles' in the morning."

Bill Kilgore - Apocalypse Now

52. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 18:24 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 17:07:
I'd be very interested to see what someone at the beginning of these projects on the publisher side is used to seeing when they pitch something like this.
Well the wasteland video detailed what the publishers told him, and kinda what he pitched.

And I think the documentary of the doublefine project gives some insight into the process.

51. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 18:18 Dades

Has this guy done anything since then that warrants this level of faith and hopefulness? I haven't kept track.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

50. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 17:07 Tumbler

I'd be very interested to see what someone at the beginning of these projects on the publisher side is used to seeing when they pitch something like this.

Do the video's and such that they've created so far match up to a project that would get strong funding? (ignore the genre issues)

One of the most impressive things in all this is how well they turned this around from the start. That first week or so was rough. Not a lot of info, the website wasn't working well, then once they jumped on board kickstarter it seemed like they got their feet under them. The AmA happened, a lot of questions were answered via the forums, via the kickstarter page, just a ton of communication with the community and I think that filled in a lot of the holes people were seeing.

It seems like ancient history when we hit that first stretch goal on KS and earned a repair robot! Woohoo. That seemed to frustrate people more than anything but the updates and ever increasing communication helped a lot.

That last week when they dropped the Constellation artwork and then it seemed like every day they had something new. An amazing finish to a campaign I felt really uneasy about early on.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

49. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 16:45 Flatline

Dev wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:54:
Darks wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:38:
I know CR personally, and I have talked to him over the past few months about the game. I know for a fact that he is not some gold digging person who is looking for a quick buck to try and rip off people. He nearly created the Space Sims genre and this game is a lifelong dream for him and he will deliver. Itís easy to knock someone when you have little insight into their lives, but CR will make this game and deliver it as promised.
I never thought he was a gold digger.

My main worry is how much he's beholden to private funding. That funding far outweighs the crowdfunding ($10m+) and undoubtedly comes with strings attached.

To be fair, the difference at this point is about 3.5 million. A lot of money, but not nearly as much as if it had been the original 10/2 split of private funding to crowd sourcing.

48. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 16:26 Wildone

Yea exactly, there's not much optimism in this bizz or anyone willing to at least dream big..everyones too scared. This will be a game changer..  

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo