Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

SlashGear - Sales Mean Nothing: Call of Duty Has Gone Stale. Thanks HARDOCP.
But I’ve had enough. The Call of Duty franchise has become one big, repurposed offering that gets customers to pay too much for what is essentially a bunch of new maps launched annually in November. Sure, there’s a bit of a storyline and the updates to online gaming are nice enough, but are they enough to justify calling the game an entirely new entry into the franchise? As far as I’m concerned, it’s just more of the same.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 18:45 Dades

Prez wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:19:
That's probably the most convincing argument to be made about why peoples' lack of discriminating tastes are up for criticism. However, publishers basically know (THQ and EA learned it the hard way with Homefront and Medal of Honor respectively) that trying to make a "CoD-killer" game only yields a sub-par clone without an identity of its own that will end up a costly and forgettable commercial flop.

Publishers are well known for learning from their mistakes after all.

Homefront was supposed to be a kickass multiplayer FPS but they retooled it to please THQ who wanted something to appeal to Call of Duty players. They didn't learn anything from Homefront, it sold 2 million units despite being fucking terrible. Someone is working on Homefront 2, assuming THQ survives long enough to publish it! EA didn't learn anything from Medal of Honor, they made a sequel immediately after and have started down the path of turning Battlefield into it.

Maybe Activision wouldn't work on other games, they seem to hate risk and love churning butter every year. All the same I'd like the industry not to be a desolate wasteland once people burn out on it like they do with every game that overstays its welcome.

I should probably cheer it on though, the industry financials keep tanking and maybe what we need is a little wildfire to cleanse the forest. It would be nice to see someone other than indie devs sack up and make an original game.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 18:19 Prez

Dades wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 18:07:

It means I get less FPS games I like and there are more FPS games like Call of Duty. It might be the market speaking but the market sucks and I'm going to say that even if someone has children who like it.

That's probably the most convincing argument to be made about why peoples' lack of discriminating tastes are up for criticism. However, publishers basically know (THQ and EA learned it the hard way with Homefront and Medal of Honor respectively) that trying to make a "CoD-killer" game only yields a sub-par clone without an identity of its own that will end up a costly and forgettable commercial flop. People want CoD, not a CoD clone wannabe. Furthermore, in my opinion it's doubtful that even if Activision moved away from making yearly CoD games they would instead fund anything any more appetizing to PC gamers' tastes, so it's hard to make the argument that people buying CoD are somehow depriving us of anything of any more substance or depth.

That could apply to everything, including complaining about Call of Duty.

True, so if you get a real charge out of complaining then by all means carry on.

However, insulting a huge swathe of people by calling everyone who enjoys something idiots starts to drift into unsavory territory. It certainly doesn't paint a very impressive picture of the person who claims it anyway.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 18:07 Dades

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 17:44:
Seems to me a lot of sour grapes. If people are willing to pay for what they get, why complain? My kids love the new game, well worth the changes.

It means I get less FPS games I like and there are more FPS games like Call of Duty. It might be the market speaking but the market sucks and I'm going to say that even if someone has children who like it.

by definition it is beyond reproach because the person is enjoying it and isn't hurting another soul in the process.

That could apply to everything, including complaining about Call of Duty.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

19. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 18:05 Prez

That's not snobbery, but "Hey, if gamers are stupid enough to buy this crap" is. You can criticise people's opinions, that's a fair point, but some go further than this and imply that the CoD players are flat out wrong, as if the CoD player is somehow mistaken in thinking they enjoy the game.

I agree with everything you said. If someone derives fun from something, be it a linear FPS that plays like terrorist whack-a-mole or doing hours of integral calculus equations, by definition it is beyond reproach because the person is enjoying it and isn't hurting another soul in the process. This whole "all the idiots who buy CoD every year" stuff is tired. And no, I am not a codblops fan - I haven't played a CoD game since United Offensive, though I own a few more that I never got around to. I think I may have played a few levels of CoD 2, but not much more.

I think quite a lot of the criticism is just ridiculous, but Verno and Creston, you both make fair points.

Verno and Creston always make good points; it's others who seem to go out of their way to be derisive of gamers who dare to enjoy CoD.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 17:44 Ozmodan

Seems to me a lot of sour grapes. If people are willing to pay for what they get, why complain? My kids love the new game, well worth the changes.  

17. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 16:57 PropheT

Quboid wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 16:39:
On a general note, it's easy to say we want innovation, it's much harder to actually come up with something innovative which withstands scrutiny.

To me it's less to do with innovation, although that's still nice, but rather more to do with at least having some original wrapping paper.

It's a Games Are Art argument, but put it in the context of TV shows. You can get something like Firefly, that's maybe not absolutely incredible by itself but it's different and fun and enjoyably unforgettable...and it goes nowhere because it doesn't have the backing to stay alive. There's a large group out there with the means and talent to give us something to rival it, but instead you get CSI, CSI Miami, CSI Butte, CSI For Kids, CSI And Friends, CSI Mobile and CSI 2: Electric Boogalaoo because they make scads of money and you can sell them to people who don't normally care about the medium.

That's not to say every iteration of CSI is automatically terrible, it's just a disappointing and constant presence that money will win out over not just innovation but risk every time...and we don't get anything really meaningful and memorable without publishers willing to take risks.

16. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 16:39 Quboid

I think quite a lot of the criticism is just ridiculous, but Verno and Creston, you both make fair points.

The lack of innovation, well, they're sequels. Isn't that the point? What did Doom 2 add to Doom? A new weapon, some new baddies and new maps. No more than CoD1345 has over CoD1344.

I'd like to see Activision spend the money on innovation with new IPs, rather than trying to mess with what is a very effective formula - and for all the criticisms that publishers get, wanting money is surely the most unjust. Look at something like Arma, that has vast potential but BIS can't deliver after 3 iterations (including Op-FP1), why not develop something like that? Maybe they'd end up with 2 valuable franchises and even if it bombs, they won't go broke.

On a general note, it's easy to say we want innovation, it's much harder to actually come up with something innovative which withstands scrutiny.

- Quboid

15. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 15:51 Verno

Quboid wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:44:
That's not snobbery, but "Hey, if gamers are stupid enough to buy this crap" is. You can criticise people's opinions, that's a fair point, but some go further than this and imply that the CoD players are flat out wrong, as if the CoD player is somehow mistaken in thinking they enjoy the game.

Sure but CoD is a popular game so that's why its a magnet for fanboys and haters alike, just the nature of the beast. Besides, many of the people making that comment are disgruntled ex-CoD players who are unhappy with the lack of progress in improving the game and probably upset at others for constantly rewarding that behavior from the industry. Some people are lashing out in anger which isn't always rational or well thought. The point isn't entirely unfair in some ways too. I've often thought that consumer buying standards have dropped considerably due to modern marketing techniques.

I'm not going to try to convince someone else they aren't having fun but I can think they're silly for not expecting more for their money.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

14. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 15:48 Creston

Quboid wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:44:
but some go further than this and imply that the CoD players are flat out wrong, as if the CoD player is somehow mistaken in thinking they enjoy the game.

Obviously they aren't, but the CoD player who buys the same game every year is a large part of the reason why this (yearly iterations of "safe" franchises) is basically all we ever get anymore. And for that they deserve some scorn.

If they'd at least stop buying it one year and say to activision "Hey, fuck you, build something fucking NEW for a change!", we'd maybe get out from under this yearly billion dollar paintjob that Activision rolls out under the guise of it being a "new game."

Creston

13. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 15:44 Quboid

Verno wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:36:
Quboid wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:24:
I've really grown to hate the snobbery on here. People like CoD and they aren't (necessarily) idiots for doing so. It seems ironic that people on here lambast people for being pressured into thinking they like CoD. No, they actually like CoD and if they stopped playing because of your wonderful opinion, then they'd be guilty of what you think they are doing now.

People aren't necessarily idiots for listening to Justin Bieber either but I can think it says something about the state of music. I bet if I went through your posts I'd find a similar "snobby" attitude about a popular concept that you don't particularly care for, it's something we all do.

I don't see why its "snobbery" to point out that they aren't trying to do much with the game anymore and that the forced yearly schedule might have a negative impact on the quality even if people keep buying it. If CoD is someone elses comfort food then whatever floats their boat but people don't have to respect their opinion as some sacrosanct thing that one can't ever criticize.

- Quboid

12. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 15:36 Verno

Quboid wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:24:
I've really grown to hate the snobbery on here. People like CoD and they aren't (necessarily) idiots for doing so. It seems ironic that people on here lambast people for being pressured into thinking they like CoD. No, they actually like CoD and if they stopped playing because of your wonderful opinion, then they'd be guilty of what you think they are doing now.

People aren't necessarily idiots for listening to Justin Bieber either but I can think it says something about the state of music. I bet if I went through your posts I'd find a similar "snobby" attitude about a popular concept that you don't particularly care for, it's something we all do.

I don't see why its "snobbery" to point out that they aren't trying to do much with the game anymore and that the forced yearly schedule might have a negative impact on the quality even if people keep buying it. If CoD is someone elses comfort food then whatever floats their boat but people don't have to respect their opinion as some sacrosanct thing that one can't ever criticize.

I don't think anyone is pressured into buying CoD either but I do think CoD is the most prevalent franchise in the media today and that has a huge value that can't be understated. The inertia alone with the brand would keep it going for years and the yearly installments are for mindshare as much as anything else. An entire generation is basically growing up with that game as their game. It's a big deal and has a lot of influence on the market so some people get frustrated which IMHO is pretty understandable.

I don't think its fair to constantly lump the community in with the obvious troll posts either.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2012, 15:44.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 15:24 Quboid

I'm generally baffled by Bluesnewsers attitude to CoD. Don't like it? Neither do I. Know what I do? I don't buy it. Then again, I buy FIFA each year despite minimal changes each year. Updated squads (rosters), a few gameplay tweaks, a game mode or two added and one or two taken away.

Yet I still get value for money. I've already played FIFA13 (out for a couple of months) more than I'll play pretty much any other game in a 12 month period. The only game that I've played a similar amount is Fallout New Vegas and now that I've completed my 2nd play-through, I won't touch it again for at least a year. But I will continue to play FIFA13 regularly for another 10 months, until I inevitably buy FIFA14.

I can see CoD would be the same for those who play multiplayer. More so, as the multiplayer community for older versions probably dies down and their friends move on.

- Quboid

10. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 15:11 StingingVelvet

It went stale for me with Black Ops. Modern Warfare 2 wasn't as good as the first but it was still kind of fun. Black Ops felt like the same thing a third time in 4 years and that turned me right off. I still have not bought Modern Warfare 3 and won't buy Black Ops 2, not until they are $15 or so anyway, which will take forever.

There was some entertainment to be found in the super linear cinematic stuff for a game or two but it wore thin quickly.

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 14:39 Suppa7

So far it appears CoD may become the madden of first person shooters. So far we've had FIVE sequels to CoD4 and no slip in sales. That is insane.  

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 14:37 DangerDog

And he too will be back in line purchasing it again next year.

You've got to love these people that rage on about never buying from X game company EVER AGAIN! and then turn around and buy the next one.

See you in Modern Warfare 4 and Battlefield 4

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 14:12 Cutter

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:02:
Join us tomorrow when slashgear's incredible prognosticator Don Reisinger discovers the magnificent picture of HIGH DEFINITION TELEVISIONS!

Up next week: "The internet? Fad? Don thinks it's here to stay!"

Thanks for waking up, slashgear. Rolleyes

Creston

Heh, nice one. That's it exactly. It's gone stale? What? Just now? Not 5 years ago? Whatever. CoD and BF are the virtual reality tv shite of gaming so of course they're going to be popular with the masses.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 14:02 Creston

Join us tomorrow when slashgear's incredible prognosticator Don Reisinger discovers the magnificent picture of HIGH DEFINITION TELEVISIONS!

Up next week: "The internet? Fad? Don thinks it's here to stay!"

Thanks for waking up, slashgear. Rolleyes

Creston

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 12:58 wrlwnd

Hey, if gamers are stupid enough to buy this crap, then more power to the company that's making the $$$ off them.  

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 12:15 PropheT

Didn't this happen four or five games ago?  

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 12:10 Wallshadows

No shit.  

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo