Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video

The Kickstarter Page for Star Citizen notes that there are 24 hours to go (and counting) in the crowdsourcing campaign for this upcoming space simulation, which now stands at $4.7 million plus (and counting). They now offer advance sales of individual ships to support development, and one last AI gameplay video to help you choose, saying: "This is a short video of the AI attacking and defending a Bengal carrier. It demonstrates intelligent collision avoidance - a dense asteroid field, other space ships, including a large capital ship plus offensive and defensive roles. Note that this is very early pre-pre Alpha. There was a bug with laser bolt speed in this build and they were incorrectly capped at a very low speed. That is not how they will behave in the game. But we thought the video was awesome enough to show you anyway!"

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 07:17 Suppa7

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 06:30:
If this game doesn't have screen covering flak explosions alá Freespace 2 or BSG remake I will be sad. So far they only showed lasers.. and apart from the silly premise that we can *see* lasers in space (which we would not) lasers are really really boring.

Lasers in space sims is not the same as lasers in real life. The freespace 2 "lasers" are more like railguns/projectiles. A videogame purposely creates unrealistic things because making a fun game and making a simulation of the real world are often at odds.

I agree with you about the flak, the flak added too the gameplay immensely because you couldn't go near big ships without targetting those sub systems without getting your ass kicked.

The only thing that has more "realistic" lasers are the big capital ships because it doesn't totally ruin the combat.

Games are a different beast then the real world and many gamers sadly don't understand it. I often chuckle when I see some gamer throw out just the worst ideas you ever heard because the new generation of gamers often thinks realism = good game, when the exact opposite is true.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 07:13 InBlack

What I would really dig would be Newtonian physics but Im thinking that would be asking too much.....  

I have a nifty blue line!

27. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 06:30 eRe4s3r

If this game doesn't have screen covering flak explosions alá Freespace 2 or BSG remake I will be sad. So far they only showed lasers.. and apart from the silly premise that we can *see* lasers in space (which we would not) lasers are really really boring.  

26. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 05:45 Suppa7

So far all they have shown is fancy graphics, I have little faith they'll be able to make the combat as great as Freespace 2. It'll be an ok game if they don't try to do too much and spread themselves too thin.

The only thing I fear about this is the huge over-ambition, the man hasn't made any videogames recently and that by itself makes me certain that this game is going to have a rough outting. If even id software is having a huge problem with AAA high definition games then roberts is going to have the same issues, especially given his natural reality distortion field which leads to huge unrealistic ambitions he can't follow through on.

25. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 05:34 BadIronTree

$5.5 Million - On to the Stars!!!!
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/?rid=36283

NEW RECORD!
Lets do the last goal of 6 mil!!!

24. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 05:34 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 04:04:
I swear I will tear someone's heart out if this turns out to be a glorfied SpaceMMO ala EvE...

Not that this is such a bad thing but im with Prez on this one. We NEED a good solid singleplayer Space Sim first...
Personally I'm hoping that Chirs Roberts can be the first to properly bridge the gap between singleplayer and co-op / multiplayer. Games like Borderlands 2 are great for co-op but they have very little narrative; games like The Old Republic have the multiplayer and storytelling side but shit gameplay. If CR can get the balance right and create a sustainable, singleplayer game with multiplayer elements then I'll be all over it - and I don't mind contributing to non-gameplay related items to support the universe, as long as its not pay-to-win (which he say it isn't).

When I read the details of the persistent universe and how you can operate in the safe, well-policed areas or take your chances on the fringes I just can't help think of all the potential. From the video I can certainly picture elements of BSG and Tie Fighter, while parts of it remind me of Starlancer (an awesome game).

As I've said, as soon as this is released on Steam I'll be picking it up and I'm happy to pay full asking price. It's just a shame that it's years away from a release date.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

23. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 04:04 InBlack

I swear I will tear someone's heart out if this turns out to be a glorfied SpaceMMO ala EvE...

Not that this is such a bad thing but im with Prez on this one. We NEED a good solid singleplayer Space Sim first...

I have a nifty blue line!

22. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 03:38 edaciousx

my friend and I did $60 each.  

21. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 02:28 jdreyer

MY GOD this looks so gorgeous. This Squadron 42 vid looks just like what we've been missing for the past decade. The whole thing gives a real BSG vibe, esp when the (rather Cylonish) bogies come out of the sun but also somewhat the carrier itself and the interior shots. And that's not a bad thing.

Still, $37 is serious cash for something that may never come to light. I've never done a KS more than $15.

11 hours to go, and my finger's on the trigger. To pull or not to pull, that is the question.

EDIT: Any benefit to supporting via KS rather than through the RSI website?

EDIT 2: Damn, those Squadron 42 t-shirts are cool. Chris, you're killing me here...

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2012, 02:34.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 00:34 Grendle

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 23:32:
Is it wrong that the new gameplay video gave me wood?

Cause it feels right.

LOL! Nope, not wrong at all.

19. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 23:40 ViRGE

Asmo wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 20:05:
Time will tell though, the expectation for these KS products is very high and if they fall short, I think crowdfunding will end up dying a sad death in a couple of years.
Likely. It may work well for a few things like Star Citizen and Double Fine, but the key point is that these projects are being done by established development teams with experienced project leads. The problem will be the cheaper kickstarters started by artists that think they have what it takes to be a producer if someone just gave them a promotion and a budget. As a consumer you simply can't evaluate talent like that.

18. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 23:32 NegaDeath

Is it wrong that the new gameplay video gave me wood?

Cause it feels right.

17. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 21:53 Tumbler

I want them to hit 5.5 mill. I want that bengal carrier in the game!

Adding $25 for a shirt and I think I'm going to pick up the pirate pack!

Edit: Done!

So I got:
The Connie: $250
Electro Skin: $5
T-Shirt: $25
Centurion Sub: $10
Pirate Pack: $100

So that adds up to....let's just call it $200. I'm ready! I just have to stay off that site for another 12 or so hours because I'm 100% sure he's going to have additional stuff to buy before the end.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2012, 22:34.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 21:51 Slashman

Bucky wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 21:31:
So, I just pledged $60 via Kickstarter.

This is the first, and very likely only thing I will ever crowd fund. Will the game be everything he's promised, and everything we all want? I have no idea. Frankly, I'm paying $60 just to be hopeful for the next two years, and that alone is enough.

Or look at it another way: instead of buying the latest CoD, fund this instead.

Edit: Timeframe.

Honestly...that should be a friggin' no-brainer for anyone with $60 and thinking of buying Call of Rehash 4938...

15. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 21:48 nin

Goddamn - could easily hit 5.5, at this rate.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 21:31 Bucky

So, I just pledged $60 via Kickstarter.

This is the first, and very likely only thing I will ever crowd fund. Will the game be everything he's promised, and everything we all want? I have no idea. Frankly, I'm paying $60 just to be hopeful for the next two years, and that alone is enough.

Or look at it another way: instead of buying the latest CoD, fund this instead.

Edit: Timeframe.

13. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 21:31 sauron

Looks pretty great and it's a gutsy move as well. Major scope, real big project. Wish them luck and will certainly buy a copy.

My best space sim memories are of FS2 (of course) but especially of Independence War 1 and 2. Ship combat on a grand scale, with real-world physics thrown in, boy those games were incredibly good.

IWar3 kickstarter would make me drool.

Kittens!

12. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 21:24 Strango

Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 21:18:
...since there is such scant singleplayer info and so much can go wrong. But it's hard for such an old timer Wing Commander junkie as my self to remain entirely apathetic when Chris Roberts starts making space sims again.

The single player / squadron 42 aspect of the game is suppose to be very similar to past Wing Commander games. Now that they've reached the $5M stretch goal there will be 50 missions (branching) in the campaign. That for me is worth the price of admission regardless of how the persistent universe turns out.

11. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 21:20 dj LiTh

Asmo wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 20:05:
Has gone past 5 mil...

There have got to be some production houses kicking themselves when they see this sort of thing going on. The PC market is alive and well and people want to play games reminiscent of the "good old days", we just haven't had the opportunity presented to us that often.

Time will tell though, the expectation for these KS products is very high and if they fall short, I think crowdfunding will end up dying a sad death in a couple of years.

Well honestly considering he's already gotten 20million (i believe thats the number?) in private funding. That means after the game is finished he'll have to sell 15million dollars in copies just to break even, let alone what its going to cost him to support the game and have a persistent MMO style server like he intends to have.... Honestly i just dont see that happening. I think he'll finish his game, but i dont think he will break even or ever turn a profit. I hope i'm wrong.

10. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 21:18 Prez

ViRGE wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 19:42:
Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 19:32:
It looks superb, but I like playing my space sims with a cockpit view. Was that ever mentioned as either being or not being a feature? 3rd person views just aren't immersive enough for me.
That was one of the very first things confirmed (and has been used in a couple different videos now). Roberts is a huge cockpit fan, and there will even be trinkets to decorate your cockpit with.

Thanks. That was actually the first video I watched. I am trying to keep from getting too excited or getting my hopes up, especially since there is such scant singleplayer info and so much can go wrong. But it's hard for such an old timer Wing Commander junkie as my self to remain entirely apathetic when Chris Roberts starts making space sims again.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo