Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video

The Kickstarter Page for Star Citizen notes that there are 24 hours to go (and counting) in the crowdsourcing campaign for this upcoming space simulation, which now stands at $4.7 million plus (and counting). They now offer advance sales of individual ships to support development, and one last AI gameplay video to help you choose, saying: "This is a short video of the AI attacking and defending a Bengal carrier. It demonstrates intelligent collision avoidance - a dense asteroid field, other space ships, including a large capital ship plus offensive and defensive roles. Note that this is very early pre-pre Alpha. There was a bug with laser bolt speed in this build and they were incorrectly capped at a very low speed. That is not how they will behave in the game. But we thought the video was awesome enough to show you anyway!"

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 13:47 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 07:13:
What I would really dig would be Newtonian physics but Im thinking that would be asking too much.....

As I understand it, the physics are Newtonian. All the ships have maneuvering thrusters.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 11:10 theyarecomingforyou

Okay, I caved. I've added my support for the game because I really wanted access to the alpha and beta. If they add Steam support automatically then that's great; if not then I'll simply buy the game again on Steam.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

47. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 11:01 theyarecomingforyou

Holy shit, it's up to $5.8m with 3hrs to go.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

46. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 10:55 nin

RSI needs to load a few more squirrels in the server. 3 hours out is not the time to choke!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

45. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 10:45 Will W

I was wrong....I read the stretch goal wrong. The stretch goal added 5 more missions, the way it was placed made me think that it was a stretch goal:

• Squadron 42
  • 35 missions in Squadron 42

Is on the first stretch goal, so I took that to mean it was required for the Squadron 42 piece, when in reality the funding does talk about Squadron 42 with initial funding (with 30 missions).

I'm used to admitting when I'm wrong, it happens a lot. lol

44. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 10:42 John

InBlack wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 10:25:
    ...but I can't see this being designed AROUND single player since adding a single player campaign was a stretch goal, not part of the original project.

Well fuuuck me. Single player was a stretch goal?
    I'm pretty sure SP was included to begin with.. The stretch goals have just increased the number of missions and such.

This space is available for rent

43. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 10:25 InBlack

...but I can't see this being designed AROUND single player since adding a single player campaign was a stretch goal, not part of the original project.

Well fuuuck me. Single player was a stretch goal? Great. I can already see the singleplayer portion morphing into NPC side quests pardon me I mean erm...missions. Combine that with the kickstarter (cheat) ships everyone and their grandmother is going to drive and welcome to EvE 2.0...

Im just going to forget about this game now, because the higher Chris aims with this the harder its going to fail or turn into another Freelancer turd tacked onto a pretty MMO....

I have a nifty blue line!

42. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 10:19 nin

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 10:09:
    Oh wow! The way things are looking this might crest 6 million.

Fucking awesome.

It really is awesome. I just hope the game turns out well!

Kudos once again to pc gamers: just like with double fine, we complained "why don't they make X kind of game any more?". So it would have been embarrassing if, when the opportunity presented itself, we didn't step up.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 10:09 Mordecai Walfish

Oh wow! The way things are looking this might crest 6 million.

Fucking awesome.

40. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 10:06 Gnolt

i'm not worried about the mmo part - i'm far more concerned with gameplay, multiplayer (running my own server), and keeping my own server up to date  

39. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 09:45 Mr. Tact

Finally, we know we're selling a lot of extra ships in this final drive… so: if we reach $5 million, backers will have lifetime free garaging for their ships. It's hardly fair to ask you to buy extra ships to reach our stretch goals and then turn around and charge you in-game credits to keep them around.
    That has me a bit worried. Continuing costs to keep ships? Might be ok, might be really bad news.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

38. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 09:35 Will W

I just feel like this will be a "pay to win" game, despite what he may have said. They're already selling permanently insured ships, credits, and now they're coming out with more and more "bonus" packs that give people more items.

I can't compete with someone who can blow $1000 on a kickstarter to get a special ship that can't be "lost" and gets tons of money. If the world is persistent, they have a huge starting advantage, and with the push for "player driven economies" games have these days, anyone with some economic skill will be able to catapult themselves to an unreachable height. Put the add-on packages on there and they can perform any role without fear of losing their ships.

At least that's how I'm reading this game, which looks Pay To Win to me.

I am interested in the single player game though....so I'll most likely buy when it comes out and skip the Multiplayer. It's too bad, I love space shooters, and even cleaned the dust off my X52 pro the other day, but I can't see this being designed AROUND single player since adding a single player campaign was a stretch goal, not part of the original project.

37. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 09:18 Dev

Blargh. Despite my misgivings, when a $30 spot opened, I backed it. Too hard to resist.  

36. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 08:33 John

Strango wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 21:24:
    The single player / squadron 42 aspect of the game is suppose to be very similar to past Wing Commander games. Now that they've reached the $5M stretch goal there will be 50 missions (branching) in the campaign. That for me is worth the price of admission regardless of how the persistent universe turns out.
    Yeah, that is why I kept my early adopter backing of $30 (I was going to back out if it didn't look better by now). At the KS launch it didn't sound like the SP campaign would be much, but now that it has raised so much money and the SP has been increased to 50 levels, I feel my $30 will be well spent. I also added another $25 for a shirt since they are pretty nice looking.

This space is available for rent

35. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 08:26 eRe4s3r

You have a point I wish someone would explain how and what a photon actually is (with the quantum effects and all) because it confused me apparently. When I read up on what a photon is, I seem to stumble everywhere about this argument. Can we call a photon an particle when it is not proven that it is a particle (rather, what we see as particle like effect, could be the quantum observer effect...)

My point is, the wave-duality is not making sense to me. It seems like that is a short-cut to explain what can not be explained otherwise. This ties directly into the basic understanding of physics. What makes photons follow what wave patterns, and where does it get those patterns, what is the next step in physics? What defines what a photon is, how it acts. As long as this isn't explained to me, I don't feel right calling "light" a particle.

Apparently, Quantum Field Theory says that it matters not how one calls it, so it is a particle, apparently.

And I quote Einstein on this on the Wave-Duality theory....
    This double nature of radiation (and of material corpuscles)...has been interpreted by quantum-mechanics in an ingenious and amazingly successful fashion. This interpretation...appears to me as only a temporary way out...

Someone cares to explain it better than Wikipedia does?

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2012, 08:42.

34. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 08:18 dj LiTh

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 08:10:
    I know what the taught "consensus" on this said back in school. But light or rather, photons are quantum objects, they are not "particles". They have (few) properties of particles, but a Photon is NOT a particle. Calling it that would make it appear like an electron, which it is absolutely not. Light can have particle point like properties, but it can also have quantum wave properties. And unless I misunderstand quantum physics, that makes it a quantum object, not a particle.

Quantum objects are absolutely different from material particles (electrons etc.) and they are not. .. quantum physics are weird.

a photon is indeed a particle, an elementary particle...the building blocks of the universe...you should check out the photoelectric effect, its a really cool experiment. I'm not trying to argue, just saying something is NOT this when it is irks me, its alot better to say what something is in quantum physics rather than what something is not

33. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 08:17 ViRGE

InBlack wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 07:13:
    What I would really dig would be Newtonian physics but Im thinking that would be asking too much.....
    Actually it does. However the flight model will be based on how a traditional space-sim flight model would be implemented in a Newtonian system. So you'll have a number of counter-thrusters to counteract your momentum to enable turning and acceleration.

Bonus: because it is Newtonian, you can damage a ship's thrusters and hobble its ability to maneuver.

32. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 08:10 eRe4s3r

I know what the taught "consensus" on this said back in school. But light or rather, photons are quantum objects, they are not "particles". They have (few) properties of particles, but a Photon is NOT a particle. Calling it that would make it appear like an electron, which it is absolutely not. Light can have particle point like properties, but it can also have quantum wave properties. And unless I misunderstand quantum physics, that makes it a quantum object, not a particle.

Quantum objects are absolutely different from material particles (electrons etc.) and they are not. .. quantum physics are weird.

Disclaimer: This is based on what I understand of it, if it is wrong, please explain how, and I might change my view. Because It is hard to explain what a photon is. I simply don't call it a particle because that would put it too close to normal particles, where as a photon is anything but normal. The duality theory has made things worse too... ^^

31. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 07:53 dj LiTh

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 07:48:
    Lasers are not particle beams since Light is not a particle

I really hate to be the one to tell you this and not your high school science teacher but light is indeed a particle and a wave depending on how its observed.

30. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 19, 2012, 07:48 eRe4s3r

Yeah, but in the info they specifically mention "lasers" not "particle beams" or "beam cannons" That's just lazy imo. Obviously realistic lasers would be terrible and boring, which is why I think calling them lasers is silly. They are particle beams. Lasers are not particle beams since Light is not a particle

Back 20 years ago nobody understood what lasers are, but by now if you call something a Laser it better not be a visible beam in space that we can see.

I guess my distaste for lasers only grew because Mass Effect doesn't have any. And if a EA made Sci-Fi world with lots of shooting and explosions can get around without lasers, then so can Chris "pushing the envelop" Roberts. ;p

I guess I am nitpicking Anyway... the flaks were the greatest thing about Freespace 2... flying with a bomber wing at a decently armed destoyer felt like you you were really entering a battlefield. And there is that Freespace 2 had gorgeous explosion effects for flak cannons, and in the code remake even more so. And BSG really imprinted the need for flaks on me. Flaks (as a form of delayed-fuse-flechette) simply make a lot of sense in space "point" defense. ^^

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo