Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Hitman: Absolution Reviews

Though Hitman: Absolution won't sneak in stores until this week, reviews have popped up all over for the latest installment in IO Interactive's assassination series. Thanks nin for helping round these up: Computer and Video Games, Edge Online, Eurogamer, GameInformer, GamesRadar, GameSpot, IGN, IncGamers, Joystiq, Kotaku, PC Gamer, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and Shacknews.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 22, 2012, 21:23 Quinn

Playing the game.

The reviews are right. This game's gameplay system is just totally wrong. You'd think it'd be cool to dress as a police officer and just walk into a police station without anyone raising an eyebrow right? It was like that in the former hitmans and although it was very unrealistic, it was fun. It's painfully obvious that the devs wanted to make a more realistic game. So now when you're disguised, everyone is cool with you except those with the same costume. The stupidity and futility of disguising is the fact that you found costume X implies that people wearing costume X are prolly all around you, so it hardly gives you any fucking advantage.

Also, the achievements are WAY too much integrated into this game. It feels like every freaking action I'm performing is for an achievement. Wtf.

And yeah.. why should you play as a "hitman" when you're in a 4-missions fugutive act? I think the chapter is even called Run Like Hell or whatever.

It looks like IO was sick of the Hitman formula and though Splinter Cell: Conviction was a way better game.

Strange. Strange indeed..

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 22, 2012, 03:53 Quinn

Yes Jerykk it's a matter op opinion. However, I have read some reviews with reviewers getting their panties in a bunch for primarily (indeed!) those two things. Because of this I don't find said reviews convincing, and although they could easily be right that the game's bad.. this is a strong case of having to see for myself.

You liked his imporsonality. I hated it. No.. I started to hate it when ridiculous inconsistencies in his behavior became dominant. If they managed to pin-point his personality in this game, that's a good thing imo.

You didnt care for the lack of a story and just went for the hitman assignments. Same with me. Do I welcome the break in that pattern in this game? Hell yes.

Lets see how I talk after a few hours of playing the game, though.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

42. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 21, 2012, 05:19 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 10:32:
I have yet to play the game. However, the reviews have two negative points that I consider positive.

1. Agent 47 basically grows character and a moral compass (about time, I say. His actions were inconsistent before. Shooting that mail-man in BM made me want to piss over his skinny scalp).

2. No more linear objectives (this time there's actually more than just killing for money, basically).

Then there's other shocking stuff of course. Like failing a hit during a cutscene. Fuck that.

Trying to turn 47 into a sympathetic hero is a mistake. It feels forced and unnatural, especially given how cold-blooded he was in Blood Money. He's a sociopath that gets paid to kill people. That's all the development he needs.

Secondly, having objectives that don't pertain to assassination is stupid in a Hitman game. Just drop me in a large, open-ended level and tell me who to kill. That's it. Don't force me to botch assassinations and do other stupid things just so you can shove a lousy story down my throat. Hitman has never been about story. The series was at its best when it was purely about assassination. The missions don't need to feel personal at all. In fact, it's better that they feel completely impersonal, as that's how a hitman likely feels when killing people.

41. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 20, 2012, 10:32 Quinn

I have yet to play the game. However, the reviews have two negative points that I consider positive.

1. Agent 47 basically grows character and a moral compass (about time, I say. His actions were inconsistent before. Shooting that mail-man in BM made me want to piss over his skinny scalp).

2. No more linear objectives (this time there's actually more than just killing for money, basically).

Then there's other shocking stuff of course. Like failing a hit during a cutscene. Fuck that.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

40. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 18:16 siapnar

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 04:35:
PS - I could barely watch any of that Adam Sessler video; he strikes me as a pretentious prick. If you trust his opinion then I would suggest that gaming isn't really for you.
The fact the the former sentence precedes the pretentious latter, is hilarious.

I have projectile dysfunction.

39. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 15:14 StingingVelvet

Reviews for revivals like this are almost impossible to trust because people have such expectations and demands for long-awaited sequels. This game might not be as good as inert-favorite-Hitman-here, but it could still be a great game.

I'll watch the giantbomb quicklook when it arrives and make a gut decision. I have a lot of catching up to do when I get home in 6 weeks, Dishonored and Assassin's Creed 3 will surely take priority, but I do love me some Hitman.

38. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 13:39 J

Trevellian wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:52:
*snip*...
TL:DR? Fuck you
Please don't feed the trolls.

37. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 12:06 Verno

PS - I could barely watch any of that Adam Sessler video; he strikes me as a pretentious prick. If you trust his opinion then I would suggest that gaming isn't really for you.

This was a really childish and obnoxious thing to say, totally unwarranted to boot. The guy with a multiline hardware sig probably shouldn't be calling out anyone else on their gaming cred BTW.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

36. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 11:52 Trevellian

Trevellian wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 23:18:
Adam Sessler of old Xplay fame has found his way to doing video reviews on the internet. Thank goodness for that because I loved the guy.

From his Review as far as I can tell he mentions 3 things repeatedly. Massive Levels, Multiple Paths and Methods, Plays like a Hitman Game.
Massive levels? Seems dubious considering other reviews specifically mention that levels are broken up into multiple sections, likely because of limitations relating to consoles.

I find PC Gamers review hard to believe based on his Video Review, which, you know. Has Video evidence... and such.
I'm sorry but you're in denial. Just watch the Gametrailers video review - which, you know, has video evidence - that was posted earlier, as they slate the game. Wanting a game to be good doesn't make it good.

PS - I could barely watch any of that Adam Sessler video; he strikes me as a pretentious prick. If you trust his opinion then I would suggesting that gaming isn't really for you.

Maybe gaming isn't for me?

Maybe you should go eat a giant fucking cock for all care. Who the fuck are you to tell me that gaming isn't for me?

I've been gaming since original NES. PC gaming since Keen. Who the fuck are you to tell me what is right or wrong for me to like?

You're going to personally attack me because I happen to like a reviewer and tell me I'm in denial?

Sounds like you're the real pretentious fucking prick here asshole.

TL:DR? Fuck you

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

35. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 10:26 Yakubs

QTEs, small levels, getting the "Silent Assassin" rating even though you kill people, tacked-on "cinematic" storyline...

Fuck this game.

34. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 09:23 Verno

Adam Sessler of old Xplay fame has found his way to doing video reviews on the internet. Thank goodness for that because I loved the guy.

From his Review as far as I can tell he mentions 3 things repeatedly. Massive Levels, Multiple Paths and Methods, Plays like a Hitman Game.

He also mentions the more Hardcore Mode where there is no instinct trails, no ammo counter, and barely even a crosshair. While he does still mention the Cons, the shoddy checkpoint system, being punished for killing at random.

All in all it looks and sounds like a Hitman game to me from his review.

I find PC Gamers review hard to believe based on his Video Review, which, you know. Has Video evidence... and such.

Practically every review mentions smaller levels and one persons definition of "massive" may differ from another I'll reserve judgement for myself but I doubt I'll be picking it up any time soon.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

33. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 08:56 SpectralMeat

Too bad I was really looking forward to this game.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

32. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 07:51 strong placebo

Some nice texture work for a console game  
"More turn-based please"

31. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 04:35 theyarecomingforyou

Massive levels? Seems dubious considering other reviews specifically mention that levels are broken up into multiple sections, likely because of limitations relating to consoles.

I'm sorry but you're in denial. Just watch the Gametrailers video review - which, you know, has video evidence - that was posted earlier, as they slate the game. Wanting a game to be good doesn't make it good.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

30. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 03:33 Squirmer

Adam Sessler's a fucking toilet.

29. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 02:24 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 21:58:
Even sites that you find reliable can be hit and miss because different reviewers are reviewing each game. PC Gamer has been known for giving ridiculously high scores to games that deserve much less (Dragon Age 2, Doom 3 and Crysis come to mind). RPS is a little more consistent, though their review of Fallout New Vegas was pretty terrible.

They're rare, though, and people generally call them out on it. Dragon Age 2 had a demo, at least, so everyone knew they were being too generous (even though I gave it about an 80, myself, disappointing as a sequel but still pretty good). I also thought they were praising Dungeon Siege 3 too much, I wonder if that was the same guy? Doom 3 and Crysis were ages ago, so I don't remember reading those.

Not saying that Absolution doesn't deserve the scorn they gave it, just that you can't automatically assume that they are correct.

Well, unless they're passing along a boatload of 'factual inaccuracies,' I can pretty objectively determine that they are correct here.

28. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 01:27 Wallshadows

Cutter wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 20:19:
Hitman Derpsolution says it perfectly why this game sucks.

Panther!!1!

27. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 01:11 Jerykk

Fantaz wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 00:08:
I don't know why for some reason this makes me worried about the the new Tomb Raider... is it because we're talking about an Eidos game here? Is Hitman and Tomb Raider connected in any way?

You should be worried about Tomb Raider because it looks like they're taking the same approach as they did with Absolution. They want to make it more cinematic at the expense of gameplay. At least, that's what all the footage so far has shown.

26. Coco's Review Nov 19, 2012, 00:36 Ant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XLrtLsGt_g  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 00:08 Fantaz

I don't know why for some reason this makes me worried about the the new Tomb Raider... is it because we're talking about an Eidos game here? Is Hitman and Tomb Raider connected in any way?  

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo