Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hitman: Absolution Reviews

Though Hitman: Absolution won't sneak in stores until this week, reviews have popped up all over for the latest installment in IO Interactive's assassination series. Thanks nin for helping round these up: Computer and Video Games, Edge Online, Eurogamer, GameInformer, GamesRadar, GameSpot, IGN, IncGamers, Joystiq, Kotaku, PC Gamer, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and Shacknews.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 23:18 Trevellian

Adam Sessler of old Xplay fame has found his way to doing video reviews on the internet. Thank goodness for that because I loved the guy.

From his Review as far as I can tell he mentions 3 things repeatedly. Massive Levels, Multiple Paths and Methods, Plays like a Hitman Game.

He also mentions the more Hardcore Mode where there is no instinct trails, no ammo counter, and barely even a crosshair. While he does still mention the Cons, the shoddy checkpoint system, being punished for killing at random.

All in all it looks and sounds like a Hitman game to me from his review.

I find PC Gamers review hard to believe based on his Video Review, which, you know. Has Video evidence... and such.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2012, 23:35.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 21:58 Jerykk

I tend to agree with RPS and PCG the most (not just in part because they actually play the games on PC), and I don't think it's a coincidence that they are the ones being the most critical here.

Even sites that you find reliable can be hit and miss because different reviewers are reviewing each game. PC Gamer has been known for giving ridiculously high scores to games that deserve much less (Dragon Age 2, Doom 3 and Crysis come to mind). RPS is a little more consistent, though their review of Fallout New Vegas was pretty terrible.

Not saying that Absolution doesn't deserve the scorn they gave it, just that you can't automatically assume that they are correct.

22. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 21:41 Jerykk

Really wish the games industry would stop trying to make movies. Hitman doesn't need a story. It doesn't need cutscenes. Just put me in a large, open-ended level and let me kill my target(s) the way I want. That's all you need to make a good Hitman game.

Also, stop trying to develop 47's character. He's a sociopath who kills people for money. That's what made him so charming in Blood Money. They would occasionally show hints of him having empathy, only to snuff them out in a humorous fashion.

21. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 21:29 Creston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 16:51:
"The PC version, from developer Nixxes, has a number of bugs that have yet to be fixed a day before launch" - Joystiq

Nixxes did the PC port? They were the guys who did the PC port for DE:HR. So that should mean the PC port is good, at least. It may have a few bugs, but I'm sure they'll patch those. They sorted out the few issues with DE:HR in a few days after release.

Edit: Yep, they did->
At the time I reviewed it for the print edition of PC Gamer, the PC version of Hitman: Absolution suffered from serious performance problems. These have since been fixed, and Iíve had the chance to verify that on our own machines. Since itís still not out, there doesnít seem much point in dinging it for a problem you wonít have. So in this online version, Iíve amended the bit that was no longer accurate.

To give you an idea, on a 2.8 GHz quad core with a Radeon HD 4800, it now runs at about 30-40 FPS on medium settings. It used to be 15 even on minimum.

The previously awful performance contributed to it feeling like a shonky PC port to me, and I took it into account in the score. Now that it runs decently, the game feels approximately 4% less shonky, and Iíve adjusted the score accordingly. This is about as scientific as the initial scoring process.

Creston

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2012, 21:38.

20. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 20:19 Cutter

Hitman Derpsolution says it perfectly why this game sucks.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 19:56 dj LiTh

Here's the link to Total Biscuits review (WTF). He's pretty much echoing PC Gamer and RPS reviews...
[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dluMZCa5wIk[/url]

Sad days indeed.

18. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 19:23 Prez

Tom Chick's review (the PC Gamer one) really explains in detail why this game is such a step back from the earlier games. I have found over the years that if he likes a game, I usually do too. On the flip side, if he dislikes a game, more often than not I follow suit there as well. Going to stay clear of Absolution and just play Blood Money again.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 18:51 jacobvandy

nin wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 17:14:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 16:12:
And now I am not surprised to see GMG selling it for $30. Bargain bin purchase, at best. RIP, Agent 47.

So (among others) a 4.5/5, a a couple of 7/10s, a 4/5, a 7.5, and 8.75 are "bargain bin"?

The numbers are meaningless without their source attached, and are often wholly unrepresentative of the actual tone of their words. That, and 90% of the sites linked in the post are untrustworthy, idiotic in their opinions, and/or basing their view on the console version while also usually comparing it to other console action games. I tend to agree with RPS and PCG the most (not just in part because they actually play the games on PC), and I don't think it's a coincidence that they are the ones being the most critical here.

I don't know about you, but I'm not paying full price, or even half price, for a game that is a) not the sequel this series deserves after all this time and b) plagued by console-driven, dumbed-down design elements. I might grab it sometime down the road when I've got nothing else to play and it's in the $10-15 range.

16. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 18:26 jimnms

I lost interest when I learned they removed the first person option that the previous games had. I prefer to play games from a first person perspective, and there are very few third person games I've been able to tolerate.

I watched some video (pr)reviews this morning and was going to grab it from GMG if it looked like the third person perspective was tolerable. I found it frustrating to even watch other people play it in 3rd person. The camera is way to close and the FOV too narrow, which gets even worse when you move into a close quarters interior. Although you shouldn't be doing much shooting, the shooting looks shitty, even on PC with a mouse.

One of the reasons that I don't like the 3rd person view is that it seems "cheaty" and kills the immersion. You see your character hiding behind a wall or other cover where he can't possibly see what's around it, yet you can swing your 3rd person camera around and see everything.

Even if it had the first person option, I think I would still pass on this. Maybe some of the AI features can be fixed in patches, but so far from what I've seen is that most of the levels aren't nearly as open as previous Hitman games. The first few hours or so are linear "tutorial" type missions. It looks like even some of the open areas feature linear missions with no optional ways to complete objectives.

MeanJim on Steam

15. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 17:47 theyarecomingforyou

Gipson wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 17:20:
GameTrailers video review
Yup, that about sums it up.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 17:35 CJ_Parker

Gipson wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 17:20:

Thanks for the link. That nails it. $4.99 Steam sale max and only if I'm drunk .

13. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 17:33 PHJF

So (among others) a 4.5/5, a a couple of 7/10s, a 4/5, a 7.5, and 8.75 are "bargain bin"?

This is a AAA game, so... yeah.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 17:20 Gipson

11. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 17:14 nin

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 16:12:
And now I am not surprised to see GMG selling it for $30. Bargain bin purchase, at best. RIP, Agent 47.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 17:08 Overon

Man you would think that reviewers who get to play everything FOR A LIVING, would be more discriminating.  

9. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 16:56 Trevellian

A review from someone who isn't paid to play games for a living and isn't jaded.

I don't need "Scores" I need to know how the game plays.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

8. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 16:51 theyarecomingforyou

I wasn't impressed by the trailers and it's no surprise to see the game being slammed by many reviewers. The series has been going downhill since the original game. And the trailer with the nuns was simply ridiculous - comically bad but not in a deliberate way.

Here are some juicy quotes:

"Absolution isnít a complete failure" - Rock, Paper, Shotgun
"Absolution is not worth buying" - PC Gamer
"The PC version, from developer Nixxes, has a number of bugs that have yet to be fixed a day before launch" - Joystiq
"It's difficult to tell what IO was trying to do with the characters: were they meant to be intentionally funny, or are they simply poorly designed?" - Shacknews

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 16:12 jacobvandy

6. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 16:11 Fantaz

PC Gamer gives 66% yet IGN gives it 9. IGN gives everything a 9 these days. "I will give you a 9, and you a 9, and you, you and you! So happy for games!"

Well at least it looks like they did a good job with the PC port.

5. Re: Hitman: Absolution Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 16:05 dj LiTh

Ouch, those reviews pretty scathing. Sad that this is looking like a flop of epic proportions. Time to boot up Blood Money  

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo