Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

Reviewer Apologizes For Factual Inaccuracies In Pulled GameSpot Review. Thanks Joao.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Game Reviews Nov 20, 2012, 07:25 eRe4s3r

As a European, I would never buy a game before seeing how the server population is when I want to play. Burned once, and all that. NS2 is hardly popular enough to always have hundreds of available full servers to choose from with pings below 30....

With NS1 i can not even find servers below 100ms...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 15:14 PHJF

I simply don't buy something when it is an unknown. And a free weekend costs them nothing. But if the game is a year old, I won't even care about it even if it's free.

Natural Selection was a free mod for a game every PC gamer owns. Hardly an unknown.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 13:05 eRe4s3r

I simply don't buy something when it is an unknown. And a free weekend costs them nothing. But if the game is a year old, I won't even care about it even if it's free.

In fact the free weekend should have been EXACTLY on the first 3 weeks after release, because that is when most people care about the game and would want to give it a try before buying. That has nothing to do with greed (specially since a free weekend does not cost them any sales at all)

25. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 13:02 eRe4s3r

That's exactly why I mention it. To me a game that is based on purely MP merits NEEDS a free weekend to check it out before buying it. Even if that weekend offers access to everything and starts right when the game releases, who cares? It's just 1 weekend. The thing is, the longer this weekend doesn't come, the harder the noobs are gonna run against a brick-wall of difficulty that no "noob only" server is ever gonna fix.

The longer it takes for them to offer free demo or free weekend, the less chance they have of getting more sales.

24. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 12:53 PHJF

ASeven wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:29:
Prez wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:26:
I actually did read the Eurogamer review. Personally, while I found it more positive I didn't necessarily find it more fair. Of course, I'm not really one to be passing judgment on NS2 since I've only played it for around 10 hours and have had only marginal fun with it in that time.

That is part of the problem, the nature of the game itself. This isn't a game you can unlock its potential in a few hours, it requires a lot of investment to unlock all its potential. That may make it a lot harder to review or enjoy it.

Furthermore the quality of any game is hugely dependent on the quality of the other players. While I've hammered away at the game fiercely and gotten modestly effective at commanding and hugely effective at every alien class (especially lerk), there are still tons of bad/inexperienced players/commanders. For every genuinely well-played game there are many more awful ones. That's the blessing/curse of a game like this. And this guy reviewed the game within hours of it being released when everybody else was as clueless/ineffective as he was. As much as I've played, I haven't run into any godlike beta testers (and never a group/team of them).

23. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 11:29 ASeven

Prez wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:26:
I actually did read the Eurogamer review. Personally, while I found it more positive I didn't necessarily find it more fair. Of course, I'm not really one to be passing judgment on NS2 since I've only played it for around 10 hours and have had only marginal fun with it in that time.

That is part of the problem, the nature of the game itself. This isn't a game you can unlock its potential in a few hours, it requires a lot of investment to unlock all its potential. That may make it a lot harder to review or enjoy it.

22. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 11:26 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 11:19 ASeven

Prez wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:11:
ASeven wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:08:
Prez wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:06:
This is the guy that said "Part of the reason it's difficult is that the game is well balanced" in the NS2 review,

People keep bringing that up, but I don't see what is so bad about it. Taken in context he makes a fair point.

The problem is that that's the context, he really is complaining that a well-balanced game makes the game difficult. If you read the rest of the quote he does not justify that phrase at all nor gives a reason to why he said it, therefore I have to assume he really meant what he said and honestly, saying what he said is about the most retarded thing I've ever read in a review.

It sounds like you are assuming that he's presenting the idea that being difficult makes a game bad. I didn't get that at all. In fact, among PC gamers who often complain about excessive hand-holding and general lack of challenge, I would think that would be taken as a positive.

I got that idea from his words and I don't believe just because a game is difficult to learn has to be a bad game, to me he seemed to paint that as a huge negative and it simply isn't. Read the Eurogamer review on today's update and compare both reviews. The Eurogamer review is far more fair than this one.

20. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 11:11 Prez

ASeven wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 11:08:
This is the guy that said "Part of the reason it's difficult is that the game is well balanced" in the NS2 review,

People keep bringing that up, but I don't see what is so bad about it. Taken in context he makes a fair point.

The problem is that that's the context, he really is complaining that a well-balanced game makes the game difficult. If you read the rest of the quote he does not justify that phrase at all nor gives a reason to why he said it, therefore I have to assume he really meant what he said and honestly, saying what he said is about the most retarded thing I've ever read in a review.

It sounds like you are assuming that he's presenting the idea that being difficult makes a game bad. I didn't get that at all. In fact, among PC gamers who often complain about excessive hand-holding and general lack of challenge, I would think that would be taken as a positive.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 11:08 ASeven

18. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 11:06 ASeven

Truth be told, I wish free weekends were more of a marketing tool rather than a bonus for when games get discounted. Indies games that come out, if they had a free weekend in the first weeks with a minor discount, could probably have stronger sales in the succeeding weeks if they didn't have the free weekend. Just find it a bit disappointing that free weekends are now intrinsically associated with deep discounts of the game in question as well when they could be used to further promote the game right in the early release weeks.  

17. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 11:06 Prez

People keep bringing that up, but I don't see what is so bad about it. Taken out of context the way most people are presenting it, sure, it's a bit of a head-scratcher, but in the context of the review he makes a fair point. Other than the price error and the load time exaggeration I didn't see this review being all that bad to be honest. He didn't play the game for more than 8 or 10 hours from the sound of his complaints, but that begs the question how much time should a game be given to convince you it's good?

I will say that it seems likely that he was the wrong person to be given the task of reviewing NS2. His review was written pretty much how I would have written it, and I am not a fan of competitive multiplayer games, which would imply that neither is he.

- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 09:32 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 06:15:
That's not exactly a replacement for a proper tutorial/offline match. But I am actually more shocked there isn't a proper demo out for NS2. Or a real free-to-play weekend or week. As it is, marketing wise the NS2 devs ran their hype in the ground with fanfares. No demo, no free weekends.. it's like they don't want to sell more copies.

I think its pretty soon to have a free weekend and they struggled to the game out, its been a long haul so I don't fault them for not having a demo right away either. It's not a $60 gamble or something.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

15. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 09:03 PHJF

No demo, no free weekends.. it's like they don't want to sell more copies.

How dare they not have a free weekend in the three weeks since the game's release! Greedy fucks! They'll never get my $25.

14. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 08:42 Axis

Not that we needed his insincerity to know Metacrtitic was in the right. Well, some of you needed to know...  

Yours truly,

Axis

13. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 08:40 netnerd85

And what about the majority of all the other GameSpot reviews?  

12. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 06:15 eRe4s3r

That's not exactly a replacement for a proper tutorial/offline match. But I am actually more shocked there isn't a proper demo out for NS2. Or a real free-to-play weekend or week. As it is, marketing wise the NS2 devs ran their hype in the ground with fanfares. No demo, no free weekends.. it's like they don't want to sell more copies.

11. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 02:49 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 21:31:
He's not apologizing that he's a fucking asshole who reviews games without ever playing them. He's apologizing for getting caught.

No he's not, he's apologizing for getting one or two facts wrong in an otherwise totally accurate review. Plus the facts he got wrong weren't really wrong, they were just things that are normally true but weren't entirely true this time.

Or so he would have us believe.

10. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 02:29 Mordecai Walfish

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 16:09:
I'm not getting whats so bad about the review.....he said it was 30$ instead of 25$ and load times were longer than they are on a faster computer?

It wasnt about the speed of the computer though. He showed that he had only played the game once by talking about the "5 min load times" because the only time you encounter that is on the first load. Subsequent loads are around a minute consistently for me, and that is on an AMD phenom 2 quadcore I bought 3 years ago.

9. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2012, 02:08 NewMaxx

Flatline wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 23:11:
He's a lawyer doing this part time. The reason why you're getting a bullshit non-apology apology is that he's a lawyer and parses every fucking thing he does so that it could be interpreted any way you care to.

LOL! I find it pretty amusing because, as someone who has studied some law, you learn to keep your facts pretty damn straight. Honestly it sounds more like (as you suggest) he's reviewing games as a hobby with a "not on the job" mentality (subjective) and is applying way too much personality. That's fine for indie review sites, but any serious publication (or one that intends to be taken seriously, like GameSpot), that just doesn't cut it. Frankly, it's unprofessional.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo