Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM

A post on the Roberts Space Industries Website announces that Star Citizen has attracted more than $4 million in funding from fans eager for a new space combat game from the creator of Wing Commander. The post outlines additional stretch goals beyond that point, and a follow-up announces another system is unlocked, and says they now have stretch goals all the way to the $5 million mark. Finally, the latest update announces that having passed $4.2 million, they have climbed to the top of the crowd-sourcing mountain:

$4.2 million! Which means that Star Citizen is now the highest crowd-funded game project ever! You’ve earned this star system, and a lot more! Let’s go for $4.5! By the way: you guys are now unlocking systems faster than our artists can finish them… we promise we’ll add the missing concepts in the near future.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 18, 2012, 01:36 nin

2012: The year of the kickstarter. (From a gaming perspective) Going from obscurity to near daily new projects.

Pretty damn cool.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 18, 2012, 01:32 Creston

I didn't think he'd finish that high, but obviously it means well for the game. Here's hoping it'll be absolutely fucking fantastic, because I can't wait to play what he's promising.

/Looks at Elite, sees Braben still not giving a shit.

Creston

26. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 18, 2012, 00:28 Wildone

Its not pay to win, you can still get those ships if you want to spend the time to earn them or if you dont have time, pay a premium.  

25. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 18, 2012, 00:14 Dev

Wildone wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 00:11:
They have alot of work ahead of them but hey they are being paid for it and have the talent to pull it off right. Some of the things Im reading people want are completely insanity..I have no idea how they are going to do this but even if its 10% of whats promised..its better than what we had the past 10+ years..which was ZIP. Fukin eh..hope the world doesn't end before then.
All I want is a enhanced (especially graphically) privateer type game. If they can deliver something even somewhat close to that, its an instant buy for me. Unfortunately, with all the contradictory and weird stuff about this game, its a wait to read reviews game for me.
Wildone wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 00:14:
pay to win so what, you can earn those items eventually Im sure
So what? So they say its not pay 2 win in bold print on the KS and the game home page.
Just one of the many contradictions about this project. A project that seems to want to be all things to all people and will likely be beholden to the much larger private funding far more than the crowd source funding. Private funding right now is really hot for MMO or F2P type games, and this has heavy elements of both, very likely because of the demands from that private funding. And yet they deny that they are that kinda game at the same time they are promoting those features.

24. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 18, 2012, 00:14 Wildone

pay to win so what, you can earn those items eventually Im sure and if you dont have the time to do that, and wanna spend $100 extra thats legit too. We dont all have the time of a teenager either. As long as its possible to get the same stuff by playing.  

23. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 18, 2012, 00:11 Wildone

I know most dev studios would love to get 4 million plus 20 million (or whatever they said they had) on a game not even made yet! Thats saying alot about a group of people who still didn't give up on a dream, and to the man at the head of the team who didn't give up either. They have alot of work ahead of them but hey they are being paid for it and have the talent to pull it off right. Some of the things Im reading people want are completely insanity..I have no idea how they are going to do this but even if its 10% of whats promised..its better than what we had the past 10+ years..which was ZIP. Fukin eh..hope the world doesn't end before then.  

22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 18, 2012, 00:00 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 21:57:
The updates keep on coming. New ship with Artwork plus 2 different skins for the hull. Both pirate themed. 4.432 Mill at this moment, I really want them to hit 5 million...and that pirate ship (pirate pack under add ons) is just teasing me with it's soft curves and sexy lines. What's $100, what do I need $100? Think of all the fun I could have in a pirate ship that has lifetime insurance! I mean I'd be stupid not to jump on that...right?

Link for anyone else who is interested!
They are actually at 14+ million with the private funding.
Also, I think you meant this link:
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/add-ons/
No pay to win eh?

21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 18, 2012, 00:00 rist3903

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 14:42:
how many people do you know who own a flight controller of some sort?
I certainly do not. But if this thing is decent I will be picking one up for this very game. And likely upgrading my computer.

20. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 21:57 Tumbler

The updates keep on coming. New ship with Artwork plus 2 different skins for the hull. Both pirate themed. 4.432 Mill at this moment, I really want them to hit 5 million...and that pirate ship (pirate pack under add ons) is just teasing me with it's soft curves and sexy lines. What's $100, what do I need $100? Think of all the fun I could have in a pirate ship that has lifetime insurance! I mean I'd be stupid not to jump on that...right?

Link for anyone else who is interested!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

19. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 20:56 edaciousx

awesomeeeeeeeee lol.

Looks like it's about to hit 4.5 mil. less than 85k to go.

18. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 20:50 nin

Fuck it! I'm drunk and in at $37. Don't let me down, Chris.

17. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 19:22 edaciousx

with mechwarrior online and chris robert's getting huge backing for their games... it makes me wonder if something like this would be possible for a new babylon 5 project to get off the ground. I wish that game wasn't canceled back then and would be nice to see more space based science fiction being produced...  

16. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 18:25 Dev

Glad to hear it, but I wonder if the lion's share of the funding (private backing of $10 million or more) is coming with major strings attached, which is pushing the F2P/MMO type gameplay.

As I've said before, I'll be waiting on reviews for this one. I really do hope it turns out good. I've played other space sims, but nothing ever seemed to top Privateer in my book.

15. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 17:55 Tom

Well well. Latest KS update says TrackIR support in the next stretch goal... was wondering if they'd do that, after CR boasted about the fidelity of the cockpit. I hope they implement it for real and not just as a token gesture. Serious immersion potential there if it's done right.  

14. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 17:45 Tumbler

Awesome run up to the end so far. That info on the constellation was far more impressive than I expected. Upped my pledge to $250 ($255 total) and can't wait to go cruising through space in that beauty!

It looks like we're easily going to pass 4.5 which puts Cruisers in the game! I don't expect we'll see artwork for that before the end of this but I am really excited to see what they make for a cruiser. One of the Bombers already has 6 turrets! I would guess a cruiser will be bristling with guns! You can find $30 entry level donations if anyone is still interested by checking the site from time to time. As people up their pledges it frees up spots but I think $35 slots are still available at KS. Haven't checked in a while.

I'd love to see them cross 5 million, that would be amazing!

See you all on the other side. And if anyone else wants to contribute:

Link

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 17:43 nin

Sepharo wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 14:27:
Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 14:23:
Yeah, well why don't you wait and see what's actually delivered first.

I pledged because at this point I would be fine with what I've seen played so far. The ambitious plans sound great but I'll take that giant ship with the hangar and the fighters with the incredible detail.

I'm still on the fence, but the higher it goes, the more I see a chance of them actually ending up with something tangible and perhaps even fun to play.

Either way, it's still a very impressive number, and congrats to him.

12. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 17:38 SlimRam

Well dammit, at the 200MM dollar mark when I buy the game it better come with a full working cockpit on hydraulics with...with a real Star Citizen Uniform...and voice recognition so I can scream out, "STAY ON TARGET PORKINS!!!" drunk, at 5 AM to the pounding of my neighbors on the walls. With a beer holder and an ashtray. And OFCOURSE a working toilet because I'M GOING TO PLAY THIS DAMN GAME FOR DAYS!!!!

Flush

I'm bringing Sexy Back

Luckily, I kept the receipt

11. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 16:43 Prez

This is quite impressive. The real question to my mind is how this game will sell once released. In other words, what percentage of the game's audience are already backers? Are there enough people like me - who are interested but would rather wait to buy the game when it is released - to make it successful when it is launched? Obviously 60,000 sales is nowhere near enough to make it a success that would make big publishers re-think their stance on complex space sims.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 16:34 Darks

Right about now, Microsoft, EA, UBISoft and THQ and the rest of the publishers are scratching their heads wondering how the fuck did we miss out on this opportunity.

The Truth is, Chris did try to get them to fund and publish the game, and no one was interested, they all thought Space Sims, BlaH that shit will never work. How wrong they all were.

Glad I helped to fund this.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

9. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 17, 2012, 16:08 Cabezone

Maybe 60k is nothing to a large publisher but this sort of thing will allow smaller groups of fans to get games made that they want to play. Who cares if it's a large hit or not, the people that want to play this type of thing will get their game.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo