Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website announces BioWare's sci-fi MMORPG is now officially free-to-play, though subscriptions are still supported by the game's new hybrid business model. The F2P era comes with a new patch to update the game to version 1.5, so here's word on both changes:

BioWare™, a studio of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:EA), and LucasArts announced today that the new, Free-to-Play option for the critically-acclaimed, massively multiplayer online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic is now live. Now players can experience the complete storylines of all eight iconic Star Wars classes, all the way to level 50 for free. This new option complements the existing subscription offering, providing players with maximum flexibility in how they choose to experience Star Wars: The Old Republic.

“We want to give our players the freedom to enjoy Star Wars: The Old Republic when and how they want,” said Matthew Bromberg, General Manager of BioWare Austin. “There has never been a better time to start playing with us.”

Also today, BioWare released Game Update 1.5: HK-51 Activated, which adds new areas to explore, a new Companion character and more, including:

• Get ready for an action-packed adventure to earn control of one of the galaxy’s most deadly Assassins, HK-51. Submerged beneath the icy surface of Belsavis lies a derelict ship and if you are brave enough to venture through the wreckage, you will embark on a mission that ultimately rewards you with a powerful new, yet familiar, ally the ruthless Assassin Droid, HK-51.
  • Explore Section X, a previously untouched area of the prison world of Belsavis. The Dread Masters’ servants are searching for a powerful and ancient weapon. Fly to Section X and secure the target of their search to be richly rewarded.
  • Travel to Denova to take on Operation: Explosive Conflict – now with a Nightmare Mode! Teams who complete in this new mode can earn the final pieces of the Dread Guard gear set and a brand new mount that will be sure to cause tank envy!

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:25 wtf_man

sauron wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:07:
"I felt a minor disturbance in the Force, as if a few hundred Chinese Gold Farmers suddenly cried out in mild annoyance, and then returned to business as usual".

/ROFL

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:24 Darks

Jeklor wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:18:
Hey at least they put the option to match armor colors back in. That they removed from the beta. That you now have to pay for. See what they did there? (cough)

You're done, Bioware.

Actually that options been back in the game for several months now.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:18 Jeklor

Hey at least they put the option to match armor colors back in. That they removed from the beta. That you now have to pay for. See what they did there? (cough)

You're done, Bioware.

14. I tried to try.. but I fail at some basic premise here Nov 16, 2012, 11:54 eRe4s3r

Ok... So let's imagine you already have an origin account, and you already have a battlelog account.

But account creation of SWTOR wants to create a new origin account with the SAME FUCKING LOGIN NAME so it overwrites the PW for Origin and Battlelog.

So, if I want a different password for Origin and Battlelog... I can't?

And why do we have to register AGAIN if we already have an origin account?
Why isn't this offered via Origin to begin with?
And why wants Origin Store money for the game?

This F2P is the first game in like a decade I do not try because they fucked up account creation. I would love to make a new account. But it overwrites Origin PW and gives LUCASARTS access to my Origin and Battlelog account.

WTF ?

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:42 Cutter

This isn't F2P it's a crippled demo. Lol. Obviously they'd fuck it up just like they fucked up making it. It boggles the mind how they just don't get it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:37 Darks

Kajetan wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 10:46:
Considering all these restriction ... this is NOT F2P. This is Force 2 Pay 2 Play.

I can’t agree more. Got on last night and was thoroughly disgusted with what I was seeing and the lack of.

First off, I paid for this game and played it for several months. As did many others. Get on and was limited to two player slots. That is utter bullshit. Those of us that bought this game should not be restricted to our chars. Needless to say, I will not spend another min wasting my time on this shit. And this was only the icing on the cake too, there were so many other restrictions that it made me sick to no end. For instance, if you die now, you have to buy healing drones to re-spawn in the zone, if you don’t have one, you are forced to re-spawn back at the nearest med droid. Another fricking fail.

I get that they need to make money on the game, but the limitations imposed are too severe to keep me playing or trying to force me to buy anything in this game. Oh, and if you’re not a subscriber, your xp is also limited. Forcing players to again buy XP packs. Disgusting!!! Thank god Neverwinter will be out soon.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:36 NegaDeath

And in better news the Lost Coast expansion for Guild Wars 2 launches today.

And in slightly worse news my only character, a Ranger, is apparently the weakest class in the game according to Anet. Oh, ok thanks guys.

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:36 nin

Thank god no one got a tattoo!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:18 dj LiTh

Wow....somehow i see them losing even more players going free2play....Its like someone asked if they could screw up even more and one of the dev's said 'challenge accepted!'  

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:16 Kajetan

deqer wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:03:
Why would anyone want to play a game that has restrictions in it?
Just compare this crap to the WOW "demo". Blizzard gives you up to level 20 nearly all content and features which were usable with level 20 chars. You can PLAY the game for free and then decide to keep playing and pay the fee.

Compare this crap to LotRO, where you actually can play extensively for free and dont feel bullied into paying a dime, making you feel good about starting to pay, because they gave you so much for free.

This crap called TOR-F2P screams all the the time in your ears, that you cannot do this, that you cannot do that. Bioware and EA are like bouncers at a bad, very bad night club, who hit you unconscious, drag you in and then force you to pay entrance fee, because you wake up inside the club. This will NOT go well. This will get a lot worse for Bioware and EA than it already is.

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 ASeven

Today is NOT a good day to be a biodrone. What is the phrase that applies to the biodrones in this instance? What was it?....

Fucking told you so!

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 Creston

The worst F2P shift ever. Trust EA to even fuck that up.

I seriously doubt this will lure many players into their gigantic fuck-up of an MMO.

Creston

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 sauron

"I felt a minor disturbance in the Force, as if a few hundred Chinese Gold Farmers suddenly cried out in mild annoyance, and then returned to business as usual".

Kittens!

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:03 deqer

Sigh. Companies are so pathetic. Why would anyone want to play a game that has restrictions in it? This reminds me of DC:UO, where you can only store a certain amount of money in your bank. It's just stupid. Completely pointless to play.

This isn't F2P. It's P2W.

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:01 Dades

EA can't even do F2P right, look at the restrictions that's just dumb.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 10:59 Shok

It's hard to believe this time last year TOR had just launched, or was about to. Pre-order for early access! LOL.

I played a free beta weekend and knew then that this WoW Star Wars mod wasn't for me.

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 10:46 Kajetan

Considering all these restriction ... this is NOT F2P. This is Force 2 Pay 2 Play.  

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo