Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website announces BioWare's sci-fi MMORPG is now officially free-to-play, though subscriptions are still supported by the game's new hybrid business model. The F2P era comes with a new patch to update the game to version 1.5, so here's word on both changes:

BioWare™, a studio of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:EA), and LucasArts announced today that the new, Free-to-Play option for the critically-acclaimed, massively multiplayer online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic is now live. Now players can experience the complete storylines of all eight iconic Star Wars classes, all the way to level 50 for free. This new option complements the existing subscription offering, providing players with maximum flexibility in how they choose to experience Star Wars: The Old Republic.

“We want to give our players the freedom to enjoy Star Wars: The Old Republic when and how they want,” said Matthew Bromberg, General Manager of BioWare Austin. “There has never been a better time to start playing with us.”

Also today, BioWare released Game Update 1.5: HK-51 Activated, which adds new areas to explore, a new Companion character and more, including:

• Get ready for an action-packed adventure to earn control of one of the galaxy’s most deadly Assassins, HK-51. Submerged beneath the icy surface of Belsavis lies a derelict ship and if you are brave enough to venture through the wreckage, you will embark on a mission that ultimately rewards you with a powerful new, yet familiar, ally the ruthless Assassin Droid, HK-51.
  • Explore Section X, a previously untouched area of the prison world of Belsavis. The Dread Masters’ servants are searching for a powerful and ancient weapon. Fly to Section X and secure the target of their search to be richly rewarded.
  • Travel to Denova to take on Operation: Explosive Conflict – now with a Nightmare Mode! Teams who complete in this new mode can earn the final pieces of the Dread Guard gear set and a brand new mount that will be sure to cause tank envy!

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

37. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 15:17 Darks

sauron wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 15:03:
Nacelle wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 14:14:
There was no sprint til 10, I think, when the game launched. Now you're whining about it not getting it at level 1 if you're playing for free. It's still a fun game and you get a lot of content for NO money. I unlocked mounts on one of my alts with legacy perks. My son, who is new to the game, doesn't have that option. I don't mount up when we play together. Big deal...

The point is, there are lots of options out there for non-subscription MMOs, and EA is discouraging people from playing their own game.

Speaking of which, there's a huge world event starting right now in Guild Wars 2, with a huge new area, new dungeons, new items, skills and even useless but fun ornamental trinkets. It's all being given away, right now, this moment, for nothing, to people who own the game, with no subscription fee.

So, restricted not-F2P SWTOR, or free new stuff in GW2?

See you all later. Got dragons to kill!

Sprint was changed several months ago and was given to ALL players at level 1. The reason was because so many people bitched about it that BW final relented and gave everyone what they wanted. Now they go and take it back like a fucking tease they are. This game hasn’t got a chance of surviving with all the forced restriction in place now. I’ll give this game a year until it’s gone completely. And good riddance too.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 15:03 sauron

There was no sprint til 10, I think, when the game launched. Now you're whining about it not getting it at level 1 if you're playing for free. It's still a fun game and you get a lot of content for NO money. I unlocked mounts on one of my alts with legacy perks. My son, who is new to the game, doesn't have that option. I don't mount up when we play together. Big deal...

The point is, there are lots of options out there for non-subscription MMOs, and EA is discouraging people from playing their own game.

Speaking of which, there's a huge world event starting right now in Guild Wars 2, with a huge new area, new dungeons, new items, skills and even useless but fun ornamental trinkets. It's all being given away, right now, this moment, for nothing, to people who own the game, with no subscription fee.

So, restricted not-F2P SWTOR, or free new stuff in GW2?

See you all later. Got dragons to kill!

Kittens!

35. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 14:50 Creston

Like EA, you don't get it. The point of Free to Play isn't to just offer players all your content for free. The point of Free to Play is to make them try out your MMO, then let them have a good time so that they will WANT to pay money for extras.

By locking out shit like SPRINT and actual portions of the UI, you are not allowing free players to have fun. you are deliberately gimping them in the hope that they will shell out for a subscription. But if the game is pissing me off, why would I subscribe?

This really isn't that hard. There is a reason Lord of the Rings Online's revenues TRIPLED after they went Free to Play: Because they let players have FUN, didn't restrict anything at the start, and so people wanted to spend money.

EA is doing it exactly the opposite way, and sadly for them, it's not going to work.

Creston

34. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 14:36 deqer

this guy ^ got a tattoo.

33. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 14:34 ASeven

nin wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:36:
Thank god no one got a tattoo!

Someone must be looking at laser clinics right now...

32. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 14:27 Yakubs

It's not about whining. It's about pointing out the stupid decisions that were made in designing the restrictions on this F2P option.  

31. Re: SWTOR Nov 16, 2012, 14:27 Dades

D_K_night wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:28:
well looking at the comparison chart here:

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

You can see that with the F2P version...if you just want to play the game for the campaign...you can. Mousing over the greyed-out features shows they're not totally disabled - they're still usable.

honestly guys even with all the F2P "restrictions"(which really, they're more like debuffs), you can still complete the game from beginning to end, you can still play flashpoints...it's a complete game honestly.

That chart seems a like big list of CANT DO, I wouldn't be hopping to link that to people as proof how great the F2P model is. MMOs these days are all about the convenience factors, all of the little things add up to an incredible amount of time. I don't care if I can "play the whole game" if it is an annoying pain in the ass to do so.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 14:14 Nacelle

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 14:08 deqer

RailWizard wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 13:53:
lol those restrictions are ridiculous. Fucking sprint is a premium thing now? The item equiping thing is a page right out of the LOTRO book too....
Any ability for sprinting is massively used in an MMO, because MMO's are intentionally designed to make travelling be a time sink. Over scaled word, and under speed of your travelling, makes you spend more time playing therefore more time paying.

People hate that shit, so they sprint as much as possible.

What a dumb thing for EA to pick as a restriction. It's like a punch to the face. The nerve, they have...

Like, seriously... Picture this scenario: Two friends are playing, one is F2P, and suddenly the other friend decides to sprint. How do you think the other friend feels when he can't sprint? Then, how do you think he feels when he finds out "Oh, you can't sprint. You need to pay $15/month for that."

lulz

28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 13:53 RailWizard

lol those restrictions are ridiculous. Fucking sprint is a premium thing now? The item equiping thing is a page right out of the LOTRO book too....  

27. Re: SWTOR F2P Nov 16, 2012, 13:44 wtf_man

D_K_night wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:35:
But it's a "demo" that allows you to complete the entire campaign from beginning to end. All the things you would have been able to do with a sub - you can still do, as F2P...it's just a bit more expensive or more time consuming.

Fair trade IMO when you get to play for free.

Obviously they need to entice people to pay somehow, but I believe that certain things that they are restricting is a turn off for most people... like 1 hotbar in a MMO that probably requires all 3. That's just utterly stupid.

For me personally... I have no interest in this game, so with or without the restrictions it doesn't matter much to me. However, if I ever were to get the urge to check it out... I would think that some of the restrictions would have to be lifted in order for me to give the game a fair evaluation.

EDIT: It looks like they changed it... instead of 1, it's 2 out of 6 or something. The point is GUI restrictions are pretty lame.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2012, 13:50.

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 13:42 sauron

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:53:
Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:32:
Arenanet obviously doesn't play their own game. Saying a Ranger is weaker than a Thief is fucking hilarious. (I'm talking about PvE. Maybe they're talking about PvP.) Of course, if they admitted the Thief is the weakest class, they'd have to justify the fact that they've nerfed just about the only two good skills it had, AND are looking at nerfing backstab.

Idiots.

Creston

Yeah they're talking PVP and WvW stuff. I've purely done PVE up til now so I haven't really noticed.

I'm playing a Norn Guardian, and it's kind of ridiculous. Imagine a Sherman tank in spiky armor pounding across and laying waste to the zone with a 10 foot long 3 foot wide chainsaw-driven claymore.

Complete mayhem. Love it.

Kittens!

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 13:29 BobBob

I want to play Donald Duck with a lightsaber.  

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:53 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:32:
Arenanet obviously doesn't play their own game. Saying a Ranger is weaker than a Thief is fucking hilarious. (I'm talking about PvE. Maybe they're talking about PvP.) Of course, if they admitted the Thief is the weakest class, they'd have to justify the fact that they've nerfed just about the only two good skills it had, AND are looking at nerfing backstab.

Idiots.

Creston

Yeah they're talking PVP and WvW stuff. I've purely done PVE up til now so I haven't really noticed.

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:49 Mordecai Walfish

a brand new mount that will be sure to cause tank envy!

Beginning to hate MMO's. With a passion.

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:36 Riker

This is what happens when game studios don't listen to me.

21. SWTOR F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:35 D_K_night

Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:42:
This isn't F2P it's a crippled demo. Lol. Obviously they'd fuck it up just like they fucked up making it. It boggles the mind how they just don't get it.

But it's a "demo" that allows you to complete the entire campaign from beginning to end. All the things you would have been able to do with a sub - you can still do, as F2P...it's just a bit more expensive or more time consuming.

Fair trade IMO when you get to play for free.

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:32 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:36:
And in better news the Lost Coast expansion for Guild Wars 2 launches today.

And in slightly worse news my only character, a Ranger, is apparently the weakest class in the game according to Anet. Oh, ok thanks guys.

Idiots.

Creston

19. SWTOR Nov 16, 2012, 12:28 D_K_night

well looking at the comparison chart here:

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

You can see that with the F2P version...if you just want to play the game for the campaign...you can. Mousing over the greyed-out features shows they're not totally disabled - they're still usable.

honestly guys even with all the F2P "restrictions"(which really, they're more like debuffs), you can still complete the game from beginning to end, you can still play flashpoints...it's a complete game honestly.

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:26 sauron

Kajetan wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 10:46:
Considering all these restriction ... this is NOT F2P. This is Force 2 Pay 2 Play.

"The Force will be with you, always"

And ya, the GW2 event goes live at 3pm EDT. I emailed Blue with the details earlier.

Kittens!

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo