Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Ops II's $500MM Launch

Activision Publishing proudly announces that Call of Duty: Black Ops II raked in about a half-billion dollars in its first 24 hours of availability, saying they believe this is the fourth consecutive year their annual shooter franchise has achieved the biggest entertainment launch of the year.

Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard (Nasdaq: ATVI), today announced that for the fourth consecutive year, the Call of Duty® franchise has delivered the biggest entertainment launch of the year. The highly-anticipated Call of Duty®: Black Ops II has achieved an estimated sell-through of more than $500 million worldwide in the first 24 hours of its release, according to Chart-Track, retail customer sell-through information and internal company estimates.

"With first day sales of over half a billion dollars worldwide, we believe Call of Duty is the biggest entertainment launch of the year for the fourth year in a row," said Bobby Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard, Inc. "Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for "Harry Potter" and "Star Wars," the two most successful movie franchises of all time. Given the challenged macro-economic environment, we remain cautious about the balance of 2012 and 2013."

On November 13, 2012, millions of fans attended more than 16,000 midnight openings at retail stores worldwide. Reflecting the wave of excitement that swept the globe, Call of Duty: Black Ops II drove social conversation in its first 24 hours as it was a top trending topic globally on Twitter in 23 cities worldwide. Additionally, there have been more than 30 million YouTube video views of the game's live-action 'Surprise' launch trailer since its release on October 29, 2012.

"Call of Duty has become more than a product people buy, it's become a brand people buy into. And every November we do more than just launch a game, we kick off an annual, unofficial but worldwide phenomenon called Call of Duty season," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. "I want to thank our incredible team at Treyarch for making an amazing game, everyone at Activision for making this brand a force of nature and our retail partners for their unprecedented support of this franchise. But most importantly I want to thank our millions of fans for their continued support and loyalty and for making us better every day."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

17. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 12:46 Beamer

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:37:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:32:
What I hate is the amount of amazing titles that struggle or fail because people won't broaden their horizons beyond one or two yearly franchises.

I think a lot of Call of Duty's customers only buy a few games a year, actually. So why would they risk buying something that might disappoint them when they know they will enjoy CoD's MP for hundreds and hundreds of hours?

My wife's a middle school teacher, and a lot of the kids in her classes have been talking about the BLOPS2 launch, as it's typically the only game they get all year. (It's a school in a pretty poor, rural area.) It's not that hard to see why they'd stick with what they know. After all, I do the same in a restaurant.

Creston

Yup, plus it's the herd mentality, but not in a bad way here. Take those kids: they only get a handful of games a year, so they'd better damn well make sure they are coordinated. If there are 20 of those kids, and 15 buy BLOPS2 and 5 buy BL2, well, those 5 are going to have some hard times finding matches with each other.

If everyone is buying the same game you know you'll get longevity out of it. While it may not be the exact game you want, and there may be better games out there for you, in the long run you're better off getting what your friends play.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 12:37 Creston

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:32:
What I hate is the amount of amazing titles that struggle or fail because people won't broaden their horizons beyond one or two yearly franchises.

I think a lot of Call of Duty's customers only buy a few games a year, actually. So why would they risk buying something that might disappoint them when they know they will enjoy CoD's MP for hundreds and hundreds of hours?

My wife's a middle school teacher, and a lot of the kids in her classes have been talking about the BLOPS2 launch, as it's typically the only game they get all year. (It's a school in a pretty poor, rural area.) It's not that hard to see why they'd stick with what they know. After all, I do the same in a restaurant.

Creston

15. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 12:29 Beamer

I feel this is kind of relevant  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 12:21 Darks

SirKnight wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:04:
While it's mainly the same as far as game-play (no surprise) there are a few nice differences and I've gotta say it's been a very fun experience so far. I've played mainly MP but the other modes (SP and zombie) is pretty good so far too.

Haters gonna hate but I'm having a good time with it so I don't care. It does look a little nicer since the PC version uses DX11, but unfortunately it's not as nice looking at it could be. But that again is no surprise at all. BF3 looks, and sounds, a ton better but I just can't get all that into it for some reason.

So it's TF2 and BO2 for me.

There are times when I really like the game, but there are time when I really hate what they are doing to the story.

The flash backs are driving me crazy. I really thought this game was going to be more concentrated on the future story and what going on.

Woods is pissing me off.

The other aspect is Trearch still doesn’t get it on the zombie thing, getting two shotted by a zombie is utter crap, and the aiming to hit their heads is shit. You sometimes spend a full clip just trying to kill the damn things.

There’s no sense in that kind of crap, especially when you have waves coming in and it gets progressively harder as you go.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

13. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 12:07 Linksil

Best summery of why this sells well is included in Totalbiscuits MP review of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNLbJKs1jmI&feature=plcp

He pretty much hit it dead on why people play it so much compared to other FPS games. Even on computer.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

12. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 12:05 JM

Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:48:
This is a world full of stupid and ignorant wretches

Yes, because everyone that likes something that you don't is automatically stupid and ignorant. What a bunch of whiny drama queens.

11. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:48 Cutter

Why are you guys surprised? Look at all the lemmings that keep shit thriving in the reality TV and network programming market. This is a world full of stupid and ignorant wretches - the actual lowest common denominator. The world is much closer to Idiocracy then most smart people would believe. This sort of phenomenon is nothing new, it's known as the 'herd effect'.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:32 Parallax Abstraction

I don't care that Call of Duty succeeds. They're competent enough games if only that. What I hate is the amount of amazing titles that struggle or fail because people won't broaden their horizons beyond one or two yearly franchises. It's as much a failing of consumers as anything else. If Call of Duty didn't come out every year, I don't think those people would start discovering and buying a raft of new, more innovative titles. It's a shame.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

9. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:26 Wookiestick

I am frankly surprised this series has not gone the way of Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and other rhythm games and over-saturated the market and stalled.

Too frequent releases and minimal features added on.

Love thy wookie.

8. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:08 ASeven

Depressing.  

7. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:06 deqer

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:05:
Since it seems the biggest dig everyone seems to say that they are all just rehash' of previous versions, for someone who has never tried any, is it worth the $60 ?

No. Why would you support these dog fuckers?

6. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:06 Creston

"Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for "Harry Potter" and "Star Wars," the two most successful movie franchises of all time.

I'm sure that if George Lucas (or Rowlings, for that matter) could have just released the same movie every single year over and over, and their lemming fans would have kept paying 60 bucks for it every single year over and over, that you wouldn't have exceeded their revenues.

Creston

5. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:05 deqer

When you spend millions of dollars on advertising and shoving your message down our throats 10 times on TV; on news boards, with 10 paragraphs of hype; on radio, then ya I guess it's possible to win $500M worth of peons that paid for your product.  

4. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:05 {PH}88fingers

Since it seems the biggest dig everyone seems to say that they are all just rehash' of previous versions, for someone who has never tried any, is it worth the $60 ?

3. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:05 Gib007

I just don't like the "feel" of CoD games. They all feel the same, as they did when the very first came out. It was ok then, sure (I loved playing it online with my friends), but nowadays my bar is much higher and only certain games like BF3 meet it in terms of feel and detail.

I'm a teacher in a secondary school and I keep hearing my pupils talking about CoD as if Christmas day has come. I can see the major market here is teenagers. An interesting observation I've made however is that generally speaking, the more capable (academically) the child, the less they seem to like CoD. I make generalisations of course, based on my observations in my own school, but hey, observations all the same.

2. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:04 SirKnight

While it's mainly the same as far as game-play (no surprise) there are a few nice differences and I've gotta say it's been a very fun experience so far. I've played mainly MP but the other modes (SP and zombie) is pretty good so far too.

Haters gonna hate but I'm having a good time with it so I don't care. It does look a little nicer since the PC version uses DX11, but unfortunately it's not as nice looking at it could be. But that again is no surprise at all. BF3 looks, and sounds, a ton better but I just can't get all that into it for some reason.

So it's TF2 and BO2 for me.

1. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 10:50 InBlack

This just makes me sick to my stomach....  

I have a nifty blue line!

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo