Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Vice City Temporarily Pulled

Following up on reports on Sixth Axis and the Steam forums, Blend Games has word that Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is no longer available on Steam due to an RIAA copyright claim over music licensing. They have word from Rockstar that the open-world action game would return "as soon as possible." They also have an unconfirmed report that this is over licensing of Wanna be Startin' Something, a Michael Jackson song featured on the game's Fever 105. Seems like they should be able to charge extra for a version of the game without that song. #notafan.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 22:59 eRe4s3r

Well the upside is that Germany (thanks to NL and Austrian scene) has insane amount of internet radio streams for free, in high 320kbps AAC quality for all your music tastes. They stream from outside Germany to circumvent the GEMA laws here... But for Japan it might not be so easy...

I think in Japan there is also a collapse of the music mainstream taste as a whole. People only watch and listen what they want and are not likely to buy music from artists just because these are famous. Most people want to just listen to music in the background or to chill at night or when on the move, and for that streams or your own archives are enough.. I have the same problem. I haven't listened to anything mainstream for like.. 9 years and my MP3 player holds so much music I have to this day not even heard everything I have. (Friends unload their *cough* rips on my archives)..

Anyway, this is not surprising...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 22:14 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 19:14:
Game is how old and it is just coming up now?

sheesh....

The RIAA is desperate for revenue, man. They're like a dying man gasping for breath.

Creston

26. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 20:23 Dev

For some reason I have 2 vice city game entries in my library. Watch now I will get a 3rd over this.
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 16:48:
This is not a US only problem. We have the same shit here called GEMA which is the useless craphole of a private company that blocks 99% of the music videos on youtube in Germany.

Only solution is not to do business with anyone who is member of the RIAA or whatever other copyright troll.
Most countries have some form of it. If I remember right, in Canada its CRIA or some such.

In japan their version passed some insane nazi level of control (just viewing a youtube could make you a criminal, and their RIAA equiv has rights to do 24/7 spying on anyone on a japanese ISP).
Guess what happened? Their music industry is TANKING.
http://sourcefednews.com/japans-anti-piracy-laws-hurt-revenue/

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2012, 20:29.

25. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 19:14 xXBatmanXx

Game is how old and it is just coming up now?

sheesh....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 18:28 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 18:15:
Btw, it's interesting, my library shows GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas each twice. One says "Not installed" and the other says "not available." I wonder if those are the Linux versions or something?
Creston

I have a similar issue with Civilization IV, it lists the game and all the expansions twice due to having pc & mac versions. Annoying.

And I don't know about anyone else but this story has given me the urge to play the Vice City soundtrack tonight.

22. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 18:15 Creston

Mordhaus wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 17:51:
If you already have it in your library, you can download it before they pull it from there as well.

They're not going to pull it from people's libraries. Not unless they want to get sued out of fucking existence.

Btw, it's interesting, my library shows GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas each twice. One says "Not installed" and the other says "not available." I wonder if those are the Linux versions or something? (Forgot about the Mac. It's probably the Mac. For fuck's sake, Valve, how hard is it to put a little line of code in Steam that checks what fucking platform it's installed on, and to then only show those games I own FOR THAT FUCKING PLATFORM?!)

Creston

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2012, 18:39.

21. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 18:06 MonkeySpank

Funny how GTA actually propelled the viewership of many youtube videos about fantastic songs like Super Strut by Deodato; yet the RIAA thinks its doing Rockstar a favor? The RIAA should realize that, unless they get a better licensing program, they'll go down the inglorious path of the print media and the U.S. mail service.  

20. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 17:54 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 17:25:
Julio wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 16:47:
Steam better pull all copies from its users. Wouldn't want to be in violation. No need to pay the RIAA for such an old game.

That's not how lapsed licenses work. It's not as if their license lapses, and suddenly every sold copy is in violation. The old copies were all sold when the music was licensed, and thus can never be in violation.

Currently, that one particular song is apparently unlicensed, and thus no new copies can be sold until the licensing issues are worked out.

Tough boat for Rockstar to be in, though. Sony/RIAA will probably want millions of dollars, which I doubt rockstar will want to pay, but on the other hand it'd suck to have to pull one of your GTAs off the market.

Only solution is not to do business with anyone who is member of the RIAA or whatever other copyright troll.

So in the case of Rockstar, that means that all their radio stations would play Jonathan Coulton? It's kind of hard to not do business with the RIAA when they control roughly 95% of all music (and basically 100% of all music older than a decade.)

Creston

Wow....i feel bad for you Creston if you actually believe the RIAA's lies about controlling 95% to 100% of the music either past or present

19. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 17:51 Mordhaus

If you already have it in your library, you can download it before they pull it from there as well.  

18. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 17:25 Creston

Julio wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 16:47:
Steam better pull all copies from its users. Wouldn't want to be in violation. No need to pay the RIAA for such an old game.

That's not how lapsed licenses work. It's not as if their license lapses, and suddenly every sold copy is in violation. The old copies were all sold when the music was licensed, and thus can never be in violation.

Currently, that one particular song is apparently unlicensed, and thus no new copies can be sold until the licensing issues are worked out.

Tough boat for Rockstar to be in, though. Sony/RIAA will probably want millions of dollars, which I doubt rockstar will want to pay, but on the other hand it'd suck to have to pull one of your GTAs off the market.

So in the case of Rockstar, that means that all their radio stations would play Jonathan Coulton? It's kind of hard to not do business with the RIAA when they control roughly 95% of all music (and basically 100% of all music older than a decade.)

Creston

17. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 16:48 eRe4s3r

This is not a US only problem. We have the same shit here called GEMA which is the useless craphole of a private company that blocks 99% of the music videos on youtube in Germany.

16. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 16:47 Julio

15. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 16:33 dj LiTh

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 15:49:
This is NOT a claim by the RIAA... They don't own the music, Sony does. The issue has most likely been raised in response to Rockstar preparing for the release Vice City on iOS, and Sony Music is being bitchy about wanting more money. Probably arguing that the original agreement did not include digital releases and/or re-releases for platforms other than consoles and PC.

But, on a related note, I've decided I'm going to be replaying through all the GTA games to sate a hunger stirred by all the recent news about V. I'll be sure to rock out to the song in question extra hard when I make it to Vice City again.

Actually it is RIAA they are the ones doing this. They are the people that go after the money to be paid to the labels that own the music and they take their cut. Thats how it works. Go ahead and look it up anytime you want.

14. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 15:49 jacobvandy

This is NOT a claim by the RIAA... They don't own the music, Sony does. The issue has most likely been raised in response to Rockstar preparing for the release Vice City on iOS, and Sony Music is being bitchy about wanting more money. Probably arguing that the original agreement did not include digital releases and/or re-releases for platforms other than consoles and PC.

But, on a related note, I've decided I'm going to be replaying through all the GTA games to sate a hunger stirred by all the recent news about V. I'll be sure to rock out to the song in question extra hard when I make it to Vice City again.

13. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 15:16 dj LiTh

Game companies should make it a point to never use a RIAA song, just give them a big f.u. and be done with it. its not like theres not a hundred million very talented independent artists out there.  

12. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 15:03 RailWizard

Fuck I hate the US. Not that I really give a fuck about GTAVC but something about the RIAA assholes once again throwing weight around like they own the fucking world really gets me.

It's an EIGHT year old game and the song in question has to be even older than that and is also made by a crazy blackwhite accused kiddy fiddler dead guy.

SOMEONE has entirely too much time AND money(and AIR if you ask me) on their hands....

11. Similar issue with Hitman Contracts Nov 16, 2012, 14:08 Bet

Seems like they should be able to charge extra for a version of the game without that song.

There's a music issue with a single track in Hitman Contracts that's kept it off Steam (and all digital distribution AFAIK). It's a single track for the Budapest Hotel mission level remade from the very first game.

Issues like this apparently aren't as easy to resolve as logic would make them seem... (remove song?)

10. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 13:09 Prez

Raven wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:25:
Prez wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:03:
I hope that doesn't mean people who already own it can't download it.

"If you already bought your digital copy of the game through Steam you'll still be able to download and install the game, but you can no longer buy the game."

Ahh, I missed the Blend Games blurb.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Vice City Temporarily Pulled Nov 16, 2012, 12:47 eRe4s3r

If I were Rockstar I would simply delete all references to Michael Jackson, insert a "RIAA we hate you so" parody song instead and send the picture of the backside of an ass (the animal kind) back instead of a reply. Because you can call anyone an ass, as long as you mean the animal.  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo