Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 17, 2012, 21:04 Ant

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 13:12:
No Kool-Aid needed Blue. Microsoft needed a number 1 console selling piece of software and Halo was it. Halo brought FPS'ers to the consoles in a way that no one could do, along with online/multiplayer gaming for consoles.
Does Blue even like Kool-Aid?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 17, 2012, 08:05 w00tie

So now we know who's responsible for matchmaking...  

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 17, 2012, 03:54 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 18:17:
Limited by current gen? Oh, you're talking about the DecrepitStation 3 and OldAssHardwareBox 360?

Funny how your game wouldn't have been limited by "current gen" if you'd just developed it for the PC, huh?

Creston

Sadly, devs don't get to decide the lead platform when making games for publishers.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 17, 2012, 02:51 Fang

Yes, we all know Halo 1 was non-Xbox live. I'm sure those Bungie guys know too. Sorry, my comment wasn't clear. That comment was to point out Halo 1 was incredibly popular thus driving people to get Xbox Live for Halo 2. I know that's when I signed up.

Halo 2 didn't hit until 2004, at which point Xbox Live was already there to stay.

The point is we don't know that. Microsoft knows the Xbox Live subscription numbers back in 2003 and 2004, and so does Bungie. I don't recall MS releasing Xbox Live subscription numbers until 2007/8.

But if you read the article, the point Bungie was making was that they were integral in designing the service, compared to the other developers designing to the service. And if you don't think Halo 2 didn't drastically bump Xbox Live Gold subscription numbers, then you are deluding yourself.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2012, 18:37 Scottish Martial Arts

Smellfinger wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 17:24:
strong placebo wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 13:54:
halo 1 multiplayer was quite a phenomenon for its time.

Halo 1 wasn't playable on Xbox Live, though. Live was around for two years before you could play a Halo game on it and it was already well established by then.

Yup. Halo 1 was a system launch title in 2001 and its multiplayer was limited to split-screen and LAN only. Xbox Live didn't go online until 2002, with Mech Assault as its flagship product. Halo 2 didn't hit until 2004, at which point Xbox Live was already there to stay.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2012, 18:26 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 18:17:
Limited by current gen? Oh, you're talking about the DecrepitStation 3 and OldAssHardwareBox 360?

Funny how your game wouldn't have been limited by "current gen" if you'd just developed it for the PC, huh?

Creston

Then it would've likely been limited by support costs and the art budget.

No matter the platform, there's always limits. Even on the day new hardware comes out.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2012, 18:17 Creston

Creston

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2012, 17:24 Smellfinger

strong placebo wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 13:54:

Halo 1 wasn't playable on Xbox Live, though. Live was around for two years before you could play a Halo game on it and it was already well established by then.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 16:44 xmb1121

I beta'd XBL back in the day. I remember how it made the PS2's online strategy look like crap. It made me an Xbox fan the way the RROD made me hate the 360. Of course that hatred intensified when my "cool" gamertag made me a hacker target that saw me spend a year and a half without my account. Oh Microsoft, you do things that make me like you then make me hate you. :/  

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2012, 15:23 Fang

I agree. No Kool-Aid needed.

At that time, who would pay for what we were getting for free? You needed something along the lines of Halo to draw people into it.

And the point of the article is that Bungie was heavily involved in the design of Xbox Live. So it seems they designed it well enough to keep the people they initially drew in, thus keeping it alive and working today.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2012, 13:54 strong placebo

On the other hand Bungie messed up Halo 2 in more ways than I can count. So they can be proud of that too.

"More turn-based please"

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2012, 13:12 The Half Elf

No Kool-Aid needed Blue. Microsoft needed a number 1 console selling piece of software and Halo was it. Halo brought FPS'ers to the consoles in a way that no one could do, along with online/multiplayer gaming for consoles.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo