Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2012, 19:11 eRe4s3r

If you do business in Nation X and you only pay taxes to Nation Y then you can expect Nation X to be not happy about it. Even if I agree with you.. ;p

But the real issue is that the tax system is completely broken, and that not just in France

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2012, 17:15 Kitkoan

Fantaz wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 14:44:
Google also fucked up with the Nexus 4 launch, but that's a different issue.

From what I heard, it wasn't that simple. Google made only X, which ended up not being nearly enough. Things is, the Nexus brand never sold well. Combine it with the fact the last time Google sold a phone mostly from their online shop it didn't sell well all means that Google shouldn't make a ton of them as they will be ending up sitting on a ton of stock they can't make.

On the other hand, I'm not happy with this either. I missed out getting the Nexus 10 32gig model by 2 minutes (was adding billing information). It was in my online cart and when I finished with billing information, it was gone and the site suddenly declared it was no longer in stock...

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2012, 14:44 Fantaz

Google also fucked up with the Nexus 4 launch, but that's a different issue.  

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2012, 14:40 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:11:
I can sort of see Amazon owing France taxes, but GOOGLE? France has really lost its fucking mind. Not that it had much of one to begin with.

Creston

There's been a bit of a movement in EU nations lately trying to get more tax revenue out of multinational corporations who tend to channel their money through more tax-friendly countries in Europe (like the Netherlands or Switzerland) to minimize their tax exposure. Starbucks in particular has been singled out, but most other major companies have done similar stuff. (In all reality, these companies do pay very little in taxes to European governments, ultimately channeling their money to low-tax jurisdictions or back to the parent company, where it becomes subject to US taxes - in the case of Starbucks, they pay almost no tax on their European operations, but they a higher effective tax rate Stateside than most.)

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2012, 13:31 Prez

If Amazon is selling tho French people then I would suppose (not knowing the tax laws there) that they would be required to collect sales tax and pay it to the provinces (regions?) where they reside. I would like to know on what basis France is making the claim against Google though.

EDIT: Re-reading that I see I basically wrote exactly what Creston said.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2012, 12:00 Cutter

Yes, Creston, Google is a business afterall. They don't pay their fair share here!

And yes America it's sad how far you've fallen. That MIT article is spot on.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2012, 11:14 ASeven

Damn, JFK sure sounds like a hotspot for the mob.  

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2012, 11:11 Creston

I can sort of see Amazon owing France taxes, but GOOGLE? France has really lost its fucking mind. Not that it had much of one to begin with.

Creston

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo