Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was starting to suffer from some performance issues on my desktop PC that were starting to grow irritating. Noting a lot of disc thrashing, it occurred to me that I may have been a little behind in my hard drive maintenance. Sure enough, the drive was pretty darned full, and just as surely, clearing some space made all the difference in the world. On the one hand, it's always fun to contemplate the upgrades that would come with deciding to get a new machine, but on the other hand, it's nice when problems can be solved so simply.

Simple Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Earn to Die 2012.
Stories: The real Band of Brothers. Thanks Mike.
IMAX, Warners Team For Twenty Films.
Media: Human System Errors.
The Adventures of Kim Jong Un: Kim Jong Un vs. Psy.
Coolest Police Chase Ever.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: Sorkin's Steve Jobs Film Has Three Scenes. A cinematic iPad.
The Crispy Crimes of Guy Fieri- Junk Food T.V. Star Takes Times Square. Thanks Devicer.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 21:35 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 10:05:
They still aren't cheap enough... in other news, you can now get 32GB of DDR3 for $110. Yeesh!

I run my OS off of a SSD on my new rig - it was well worth the money. Also have some programs on there and a few select games. Load times are SICK!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 10:55 Creston

PHJF wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 10:05:
They still aren't cheap enough... in other news, you can now get 32GB of DDR3 for $110. Yeesh!

I remember buying 32 MEGS of memory for like 400 bucks!

Creston

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 10:54 Creston

Dades wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 21:21:
1badmf wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 18:38:
the stupidity of unions to the nth degree - rather than accept reduced benefits and heed the warning of the company, they wouldn't give an inch and now 18,000 workers have no jobs to go back to. as a teamster i know this firsthand - a bunch of fools led by talentless egomaniacs. they have their purpose but that's been long lost by the greed and nepotism of the leadership.

It's not that simple. All of the union bashing is convenient but off base, they were not holding Hostess up with a gun. They have given major concessions twice in the past five years, reducing many workers salaries by 30-40% and reducing their benefits. Hostess came back again and asked for huge concessions that would put some workers at the poverty line. These guys were not auto workers making 75k.

Unions can get up to some pretty stupid things but Hostess is equally to blame for this situation, they asked and receive major concessions already in the past and still mismanaged the company into bankruptcy.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Sounds a lot like American Airlines. Fortunately Tulsa has now realized that continuing to put billions and billions of dollars into that bottomless fucking pit every 4 years is not a smart business model.

Creston

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 10:05 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 01:06 D4rkKnight

Buying a decent SSD and reinstalling it as a seperate OS partition would probably solve all of your problems - they keep getting cheaper.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 00:42 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 16:20:
mch wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 16:18:
Twinkie bailout!

Save the goddamn orange cupcakes!!!!!!!!

If my father were still alive, I have no doubt he's be out buying the last of the snoballs right now.

They won't go away. Come the new year there will be a new owner I am sure.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 00:40 xXBatmanXx

Saints Row 3 @ Amazon.com download for 10.00.
Season Pass is only 5.00!!!!

Huge steal for a ton of play.
I snatched up that Season Pass. Game has 60+ USD of DLC, so this is damn near free.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 21:21 Dades

1badmf wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 18:38:
the stupidity of unions to the nth degree - rather than accept reduced benefits and heed the warning of the company, they wouldn't give an inch and now 18,000 workers have no jobs to go back to. as a teamster i know this firsthand - a bunch of fools led by talentless egomaniacs. they have their purpose but that's been long lost by the greed and nepotism of the leadership.

It's not that simple. All of the union bashing is convenient but off base, they were not holding Hostess up with a gun. They have given major concessions twice in the past five years, reducing many workers salaries by 30-40% and reducing their benefits. Hostess came back again and asked for huge concessions that would put some workers at the poverty line. These guys were not auto workers making 75k.

Unions can get up to some pretty stupid things but Hostess is equally to blame for this situation, they asked and receive major concessions already in the past and still mismanaged the company into bankruptcy.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 20:20 PHJF

If that Guy is a chef, so was the old lady piling sloppy joes onto my tray in the third grade.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 20:20 killer_roach

Silicon Avatar wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 20:09:
If it's Guy Fieri - a dude who is a chef, has his own TV show, owns several restaurants, and promotes charities VS. some dude who eats food and talks about it on a newspaper I'm gonna have to go with Guy.

I just can't figure out why, of all places, he'd open a restaurant in NYC. That's a city that seems to hate food...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 20:09 Silicon Avatar

If it's Guy Fieri - a dude who is a chef, has his own TV show, owns several restaurants, and promotes charities VS. some dude who eats food and talks about it on a newspaper I'm gonna have to go with Guy.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 18:45 Shok

I wonder if Guy sticks his greasy hands into the food back in the kitchen like he does on his show. I know the chefs are happy for the exposure the show gives their restaurants but I wish one of them would slap him silly when he does that  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 18:38 1badmf

banddirector wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 15:22:
OMG - - Hostess, the parent company of Twinkies, Ding Dongs, etc. just bit the dust.

Shall we all pause for a moment of silence ....

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 18:20 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 15:24:
The products, though, will neither change nor disappear.

In the case of Twinkies, literally.

As for Guy Fieri, yeah reviewers have been thrashing the shit out of his new place. I could do without their personal attacks on his character, but if the food is genuinely served cold and undercooked, it deserves all the thrashing it gets.

Creston

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 16:20 nin

mch wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 16:18:
Twinkie bailout!

Save the goddamn orange cupcakes!!!!!!!!

If my father were still alive, I have no doubt he's be out buying the last of the snoballs right now.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 16:18 mch

Twinkie bailout!  
PSN: CaseDesignate

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 16:07 NegaDeath

PHJF wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 15:30:
Sow when do we start raiding the fallout shelters' cases of twinkies?

No rush, they'll still be fresh when you get there.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 15:30 PHJF

In a statement, Hostess said its bakery operations have been suspended at all plants and that it would lay off most of its 18,500 workers to focus on selling its assets.

Sow when do we start raiding the fallout shelters' cases of twinkies?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 15:24 Beamer

banddirector wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 15:22:
OMG - - Hostess, the parent company of Twinkies, Ding Dongs, etc. just bit the dust.

Well, it isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time, that the Hostess products undergo an ownership change.
The products, though, will neither change nor disappear.
The pension of the retired employees, however, has certainly bit the dust.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 15:22 banddirector

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo