Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences announces (Adobe Acrobat format) that Valve boss Gabe Newell is the next inductee into the AIAS hall of fame:

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences is pleased to announce that Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve Corporation, will be the 17th inductee into the AIAS Hall of Fame, and will be taking the 2013 D.I.C.E. Summit stage as its Thursday conference keynote. Gabe’s leadership in founding and managing Valve, creator of Source TM game engine, Steam, and award winning game franchises like Half-Life ® , Counter Strike TM , Left 4 Dead TM , Portal TM , and Team Fortress TM have done much to push the interactive entertainment industry forward.

The AIAS Hall of Fame honor is bestowed on game creators who have been instrumental in the development of highly influential games and moving a particular genre forward. These individuals demonstrate the highest level of creativity and innovation, resulting in significant product influence on a scale that expands the scope of the industry. The 2013 Hall of Fame Award will be presented to Gabe by Epic Games President Dr. Michael Capps, who serves on the AIAS board of directors and the AIAS awards committee, at the 16th D.I.C.E. Awards on Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013 at The Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel Las Vegas. Past AIAS Hall of Fame recipients include: Tim Sweeney (2012), Dr. Greg Zeschuk (2011), Dr. Ray Muzyka (2011), Mark Cerny (2010), and Bruce Shelley (2009).

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 17, 2012, 12:18 Bet

I'm starting to get a sense for why overwhelmingly successful people often become philanthropists. Once something exactly like this becomes so expected that it's almost ordinary or unremarkable for the person, the better part of their soul must take over and try to elevate other people so misery isn't quite so common for them.

Adjustment of hobbies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 16, 2012, 12:53 Mangrove

WHO LOVES YA GABEY?  

17. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 16, 2012, 12:42 Creston

Congrats Gabe!

Creston

16. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 16, 2012, 10:37 MajorD

Past AIAS Hall of Fame recipients include: Tim Sweeney (2012), Dr. Greg Zeschuk (2011), Dr. Ray Muzyka (2011), Mark Cerny (2010), and Bruce Shelley (2009).

We must not forget John Carmack whom was inducted in 2001. I just felt it was important to point out, as he was/is the pioneer of the 3D FPS, and who very openly shared his knowledge and technology to enable the 3D FPS technology/visuals to expand into what it is today.

Thank you John.

15. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 16, 2012, 10:27 Beamer

It's always weird to me when people complain that Valve claims to have created CS and TF.

They bought the companies that did. They didn't just put them out of business, they merged with them. Incorporated them. Became one with them. Most of those employees are still with Valve.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 16, 2012, 09:41 MajorD

Congrats Gabe, well deserved. I am surprised they waited this long.

13. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 16, 2012, 08:52 Mangrove

Damn straight.  

12. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 16, 2012, 05:29 Dev

Cutter wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 22:04:
How can anyone say it's taken to long? We're talking about the guy who created Valve Time afterall. They were simply inducting him on Valve Time.

Ahh. LOL

11. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 16, 2012, 03:48 theyarecomingforyou

Anonymous wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 23:24:
I cannot BELIEVE that they are saying Valve is the creator of Counter-Strike and Team Fortress!

How can they get away with this?!!!!!!!!!
Actually, it said they created the "franchises" and technically that requires more than one game.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 16, 2012, 03:29 InBlack

Anonymous wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 23:24:
I cannot BELIEVE that they are saying Valve is the creator of Counter-Strike and Team Fortress!

This is true, they did not create those mods. However they do OWN the IPs so they can say whatever the fuck they want. You have to remember that in general sheep have a very selective memory....

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 16, 2012, 00:10 Cutter

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 22:43:
About zero of Valves games sucks. Although gabe needs to lay off the twinkies

He is laying off the twinkies...all on Valve Time. So he'll have quit them completely in another few years.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 15, 2012, 23:24 Lit_Reflex001

7. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 15, 2012, 22:51 Beelzebud

Tim Sweeney will finally be in good company.  

6. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 15, 2012, 22:43 [VG]Reagle

About zero of Valves games sucks. Although gabe needs to lay off the twinkies  
As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

5. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 15, 2012, 22:35 The Half Elf

And how many Valve games have sucked even with Valve Time? Pre-Activision, Blizzard was also notorious for 'Vavle Time'.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 15, 2012, 22:04 Cutter

How can anyone say it's taken to long? We're talking about the guy who created Valve Time afterall. They were simply inducting him on Valve Time.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 15, 2012, 21:56 [VG]Reagle

Hope they got lots of cup cakes because that hoover is going to suck them up like a tornado hit the snack table  
As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

2. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 15, 2012, 21:38 sauron

Should have been inducted years ago. Well deserved, for advances in both game design and distribution.

I do wish he'd take better care of himself - can't afford to lose a leader in the field.

Kittens!

1. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 15, 2012, 20:49 Dev

Past time.

Valve isn't perfect, but they've done lots of great things for the PC gaming industry. And not just once, but multiple times.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo