Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up

Blend Games has a follow-up to recent reports of Linux users being banned from playing Diablo III on Battle.net. They cite an unlinked post on the WINE forums from a user who claims to have been refunded the cost of a second copy of the game after being apologetically informed by Blizzard that his initial ban for playing the game through WINE was erroneous. Unmoved by the retraction, the site's hash criticism of Blizzard over this continues unabated.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 16, 2012, 20:04 Beelzebud

spindoctor wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 19:02:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 16:07:
If only Blizzard had the kind of resources that InXile or MinMax games had, then they could afford to just do a proper Linux port.

But with a small indy studio like Blizzard you just have to take what you can get.

95% of all games do not have a Linux client, and I don't think Blizzard ever claimed that Linux was supported, so why single them out?

And how can people be surprised when their automated cheat detection system finds problems when people connect through an emulator on an unsupported environment?

I single them out because they're banning paying customers who would obviously prefer a Linux client, and they have the resources to do one if they wished.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 16, 2012, 04:30 yuastnav

If only Blizzard had the kind of resources that InXile or MinMax games had, then they could afford to just do a proper Linux port.

But with a small indy studio like Blizzard you just have to take what you can get.

95% of all games do not have a Linux client, and I don't think Blizzard ever claimed that Linux was supported, so why single them out?

And how can people be surprised when their automated cheat detection system finds problems when people connect through an emulator on an unsupported environment?

It's not an emulator. There is a difference.

24. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 16, 2012, 03:42 InBlack

deqer wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 11:17:
Have fun playing your single player game online, being tracked and owned by the company.

There are ways to have fun online with people, and this isn't one of them.

All we have here is a King Kong company who took their best franchise and used it on all of you people as a way to shove DRM/ownage down your throats, and you all bought it.

Hopefully most of you learned from this and you won't buy into this type of thing again.

You cant really argue with this. You have a major point here. All the cool things that made Diablo, Diablo are STILL missing in 1.05. You cant just drop more loot (which is still 99% worthless in quality) on people and expect them to somehow love the game again.

They failed hard on so many levels their biggest fail being getting rid of skill points and ending level progression (Paragon levels dont really cut it).

Dont get me started on the cheesy storytelling and utterly horrible level design (especially Act4 I mean LOL WTF???)

You cant fix horribly bad design choices by a few patches, I doubt an expansion is going to do much good either...

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 22:05 Satoru

On top of the fact that these 'reports' are suspicious and so few. There's hardly a 'revolt' going on in any of the Wine forums about it. Of course the WINE is 'unlinked' how convenient for the author of that incredible piece of nonsense. If this was really a big problem you'd see more than this level of noise about it. Just because they're linux users doesn't mean they're not cheating just like everyone else.

22. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 19:02 spindoctor

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

21. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 17:47 AngelicPenguin

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 15:52:
BobBob wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 14:29:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 13:35:
Just out of spite for deqer i gave d3 another shot, 1.05 has turned out pretty good. I'm enjoying it.

Please delete your BluesNews account.

You first. Atleast i'm not some jaded internet kid and actually give new patches a try in games.

Don't fight the angst.

20. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 17:27 Tumbler

Not too long ago, I was banned for 72 hours from WoW and received a final warning - for reasons unknown, so I couldnt know what I did wrong and because of that the final warning was as good as a soon to be permanent ban.
After a few days of talking with different GMs, one told me it was due to account sharing. I did not share my account, only my IP addresses change often, due to different locations and different PCs. So I told them that, but they still didnt listen. After 4 weeks I finally got a reply from a supervisor, who said he could confirm the stuff I claimed and that the final warning was canceled.

I have a laptop that I take between Home and the office. I also have Wifi and hard wired ports in my house and depending on where i have the laptop setup it might look like I"m hooked into new equipment all the time.

The online banking locations seem to only remember one or 2 places because they ask me those secondary security questions all the time. Steam was asking for that stuff a lot too but I guess they figured out how to store a few more locations because they rarely ask anymore.

That's really disgusting that they'd ban your account because you might be sharing. I might be using my laptop at a friends house too you fucking assholes! No sense in taking that chance, BANNED.

Great way to treat paying customers.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

19. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 16:38 Muscular Beaver

Nothing new from the Blizztards.
Not too long ago, I was banned for 72 hours from WoW and received a final warning - for reasons unknown, so I couldnt know what I did wrong and because of that the final warning was as good as a soon to be permanent ban.
After a few days of talking with different GMs, one told me it was due to account sharing. I did not share my account, only my IP addresses change often, due to different locations and different PCs. So I told them that, but they still didnt listen. After 4 weeks I finally got a reply from a supervisor, who said he could confirm the stuff I claimed and that the final warning was canceled.

Now, I couldnt play for 4 weeks, since I feared they would permanently ban the account, if my IP changed again. That makes one wasted subscription month. It was never reimbursed. Not even the 72 hours of ban I got were reimbursed. The final mail from the supervisor also had not even a slight hint of an apology.

So this guy got very lucky that he got his second game refunded. But I guess only because he went public.
Oh, and shortly after that they implemented an automatic IP-change-checker. The nice thing about that was, that I had to go through their moronic password change system every time my IP changed. Quite some time later they finally got it right and it saved the IPs that are frequently used. Billions well spent!

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2012, 16:47.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

18. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 16:12 BobBob

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 15:52:
You first. Atleast i'm not some jaded internet kid and actually give new patches a try in games.

Jay Wilson

17. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 16:07 Beelzebud

16. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 15:52 dj LiTh

BobBob wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 14:29:
Just out of spite for deqer i gave d3 another shot, 1.05 has turned out pretty good. I'm enjoying it.

15. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 15:21 RailWizard

Bed  

14. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 14:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

descender wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 14:27:
only this time I do have full control of all my character data.

As in.... so you can cheat and edit it? Otherwise... who cares?

4 of 5 classes cleared through inferno without AH use? So you spent... like 200-300 hours per class? Sounds like you enjoyed this game quite a bit.

I enjoyed D3 a lot, or I wouldn't have played through it that many times. I definitely got my money's worth. Nowhere near 200-300 hours a class, probably approaching 100 hours on average though, leaning heavier towards my first two characters. It was rough going in 1.0 for my WD in Inferno, but 1.05 is doable with any class, almost any spec.

As far as control of the character data, the obvious reason would be to play offline. Modding is nice too, of course. I am a little surprised at the TL2 Runic forums, there seems to be a larger contingent of "Any Mod is a hack" zealots compared to TL1. To be fair, yes, any person online in TL2 could be using hacked/modded items. Is that worse than people buying items off the RMAH with real money? I don't think so.

I only play with people I've known for years anyway in these types of games, and we stick to increased storage space/UI mods/alternate class skill mods usually.

13. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 14:29 BobBob

12. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 14:27 descender

only this time I do have full control of all my character data.

As in.... so you can cheat and edit it? Otherwise... who cares?

What an odd place to draw the line. Any online competitive game houses the player character data on their servers. Welcome to the internets.

4 of 5 classes cleared through inferno without AH use? So you spent... like 200-300 hours per class? Sounds like you enjoyed this game quite a bit.

PvP and other online play is simply an extension of vanity. People want to compare their character to other players characters to see how they "measure up". There is exactly none of that in TL2 because you can hack and edit anything int he game you want.

11. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 14:10 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 11:17:
Have fun playing your single player game online, being tracked and owned by the company.

There are ways to have fun online with people, and this isn't one of them.

All we have here is a King Kong company who took their best franchise and used it on all of you people as a way to shove DRM/ownage down your throats, and you all bought it.

Hopefully most of you learned from this and you won't buy into this type of thing again.

You must be the life of the party.

10. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 13:35 dj LiTh

9. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 13:28 BobBob

Jay Wilson > /dev/null  

8. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 12:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

I peruse the Blizzard D3 forums every now and then (they are a hive of scum and villainy, of course) and there have been more than a few threads of supposed Linux users claiming to have been banned. Is it true? It wouldn't really surprise me, Blizzard has been doing banning in waves, obviously automated, and who knows what the criteria is.

All that said, these ban waves seemed to have missed the millions of botters out there.

D3 is better now than it was at release, by far, but no one is going to honestly be able to claim you have total control of your character data. Even a legitimate Windows based player could be banned/hacked/rolled back or whatever at any time, and lose hundreds of hours of playtime.

I'm pretty much done with the game, in my opinion, I have 4 of 5 classes cleared through Inferno, zero RMAH use, no GAH use aside from stupidly buying some tomes for crafting(which is still a joke), working on my Wizard occasionally with the few people I know who still play.

I am starting to really get into Torchlight 2, and it's amazing how good TL2 is in so many ways. Obviously the TL2 guys lack the D3 budget for art, but it's very playable, and really nice with a few mods installed, even before GUTs gets released.

Cannon/Summons Engineer + Berserker Dual Wield Frost Build + Undecided Embermage and Outlander, let the next RNG game begin, only this time I do have full control of all my character data.

7. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 12:35 Satoru

I like how they take totally unsubstantieted claims by a SINGLE user as fact that linux bans are happening

Then they do things like "Oh a user said they could look at thier hard drive for any bots, but Blizzard cut off communications" as if looking at their computer would prove anything? This isn't reporting it's just some biased moron on the Internet trying to thread together any shred of possible innuendo to form it into a whole laughable consipiracy theory against Linux D3 users.

And agian all these users are 'anonymous'. Really? If you're posting to the WineHQ forums say "This is my battle tag, this is why i got banned, help me" not "Im going to bitch and whine but not actually give any useful verifyable information."

And that thread 'collecting information' on PlayOnLinux has 10 posts.

TEN POSTS

Is that the MASSIVE BAN going on? There were more posts whining about DH nerfs than this.

Whoever this writer at CinemaBlend is, they obviously have some kind of axe to grind and are pulling together incredibly tenuous data point and trying to wrap them together. It's quite sad.

Just because you're running on Linux doesn't mean you're not cheating. Done. There is no data to show a MASSIVE problem with Linux users being unfairly banned. There is hard data to show that those who haev been banned, have been banned correctly.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2012, 12:42.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo