Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's football Thursday, and the Giants are on a timely bye after back-to-back losses. I want to call out the sports media for doing a terrible job of pinpointing what's gone wrong for big blue lately, as I've seen reasons given like Eli having a "dead arm," the fact that Hakeem Nicks is hobbled, that Victor Cruz has been off-track, and similar things. These theories all ignore the old rule about football games being won and lost in the trenches, and it shouldn't take Vince Lombardi to see that the team has suffered breakdowns in pass protection on offense and has not generated sufficient pass rush on defense. Those are things the team has shown it can do, so there's reason to hope they get back on track.

As for last week's results, I am proud to have picked the Saints, though over a third of our experts picked that upset. On the other hand, I'm kicking myself for changing my pick from the Vikings after listening to pundits talking about how poorly Ponder was playing. Batman repeated his one-and-done picking, and Cutter can almost take credit for predicting the season's only tie by failing to choose a team in the 49ers/Rams game (weird, right?). Here are the results for last week, where many of us took different roads to arrive at the same destination: Darks 11-2-1; Blue, Creston, Jivaro, and mag 10-3-1; Verno 8-5-1; Cutter 7-6; and Batman 0-1.

This week I guarantee the Giants will not lose. Here are my other picks: Miami, Packers, Falcons, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Redskins, Rams, Bengals, Texans, Saints, Broncos, Patriots, Steelers, and 49ers.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Nightflies.
Stories: See an NBA game for $0.10 Ö seriously 10 cents.
James Wan To Helm "MacGyver" Reboot.
Dickey caps unforgettable year with Cy Young. My favorite current Met honored.
Media: Belgian Player Misses 4 Shots at His Own Basket. Are their rules different?
James Bond Theme A Cappella.
Best Cosplay of All Time.
Epic Halloween Costume- The Rollercoaster.
Follow-up: 'Star Wars,' the once and future franchise. Thanks nin via Kotaku.
Exposure to light at night lowers cognitive function: study.
John McAfee says he didn't kill neighbor. Thanks WalterEgo.
Still on the Lam, John McAfee Says He's Now In Disguise. Thanks j.c.f.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 07:19 xXBatmanXx

banddirector wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 16:02:
This week I guarantee the Giants will not lose.

I make the same guarantee about the Seahawks!

Are we doing a funny joke? Cause I see your Hawks and G-men and say the Vikes will NOT lose.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 05:03 Rigs

So...yeah, still doing the whole 'close your eyes and point' deal, here's my self-destruct sequence...(please, be gentle!)

(gentle..gentlegentlegentle...funny word, kinda sounds like genitals if you say it fast over and over...speaking of funny words, who gets to make words 'official'? Is there a 'Official Word Officiator'? It's like now all you hear instead of genitals is 'junk'. Before it was 'jewels'. Who the hell de-valued my...stuff?! )

First off, I call the Bills! I'm seeing a slight upset of around five points or so...

Falcons, Panthers, Eagles, Jets (NYC, gotta represent!), Texans (because I picked them, the Jags will win, you watch!), Packers, Bengals, Cowboys (In memory of Dad, lifelong Dallas fan - who actually got tired of winning in the mid-90's! Smug bastard! ), Saints, Broncos, Steelers, 49ers

I'm undecided between the Colts and the Pats, I despise them equally. If I had a gun to my head, I'd probably go...Pats, just for the whole NE thing. Not for any actual legitimate reason...lol...Anyway, been finding this site a little helpful with my picks...

OK, business out of the way, I want to let you guys in on something I found while not being able to sleep tonight. I was bored and was just cruisin' the Net (I have a whole box of paperwork and bills waiting to be taken care of but...just wasn't ~feelin'~ it, ya know?) and decided to see what stupid crap I could load Chrome up with. (Usually I just play solitaire or Cargo Bridge) but I saw 'Battlefield Heroes' sitting in the list (somehow I had missed before) and thinking it might be something amusing for a few mins, I clicked to install it. Right before it did so, a screen popped up but I clicked it away too fast to read the whole thing. I immediately went back to the web page and clicked details and confirmed what I had seen ever-so-briefly...

Permissions requested by apps and extensions
Apps and extensions you install may have access to your data. You might also see a warning dialog when an already installed extension or app is updated, if the item requests new or different permissions. A warning doesnít mean that the item does do something dangerous, just that it could.

Donít install an app or extension unless you trust its creator. Check the itemís ratings and reviews to determine if itís trustworthy.

Here are the permissions that apps and extensions may request. Click the links to see more details.

High alert

All data on your computer and the websites you visit

This item contains an NPAPI plug-in.

Caution: NPAPI plug-ins can do almost anything, in or outside of your browser. For example, they could use your webcam, or they could read your personal files.

So, IOW, this thing could hypothetically take anything from my system and use it, display it, whatever and I have no legal recourse? NO WAY IN HELL!!!

I wonder how many other things they do this with, maybe with Origin? Everyone who plays these games should be made aware of what this means...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 19:55 nin

Cutter wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 19:43:
1badmf wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 18:33:
crypto wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 18:12:
'Star Wars,' the once and future franchise.
Thats not a follow up, that's a lead-in to a magazine you have to buy... booooooo
yeah that was kinda upsetting. as mature as i try to be these days, any news of star wars still geeks me out like a little girl at a bieber concert, horrible prequel trilogy or no.

So whenever you red how Alec Guiness used to slag it off as the horrible tripe it was does that make you cry like a little girl?

I prefer Harrison Ford's comment of "George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 19:43 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 18:33:
Thats not a follow up, that's a lead-in to a magazine you have to buy... booooooo
yeah that was kinda upsetting. as mature as i try to be these days, any news of star wars still geeks me out like a little girl at a bieber concert, horrible prequel trilogy or no.

So whenever you red how Alec Guiness used to slag it off as the horrible tripe it was does that make you cry like a little girl?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 18:36 Jivaro

banddirector wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 17:42:
Jivaro wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 16:11:
Screwed up my fantasy football roster having those two teams and Tennessee go on the BYE at the same time. I have had Marshawn Lynch(RB), Chris Johnson(RB), Nate Wahington(WR) and Lawrence Tynes(K) all on my roster. I had to drop Tynes and Washington and replace them with Gould and Woodhead. I guess it could have been worse.

Ouch! That sucks. That's just bad luck - - did you trip a little old lady lately or something to bring on the bad karma? ;-)

Not that I am aware of...lol. I gave my nephew a life size cardboard cut-out of a Dalek does that count? I mean...how much bad karma can I possibly ring up inspiring an 8 year old to run around yelling "EXTERMINATE"? I am sure his mother is totally cool with it. (muahahaha)

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 18:33 1badmf

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 18:12 crypto

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 17:56 mag

Jivaro wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 15:15:
My picks:
Miami, Atl, Tamba Bay, Dallas, Green Bay, Houston, Cincy, St Louis, New Orleans, Denver, New England, Baltimore, SF.

Upset of the week: Philly over Washington. Washington is terrible at home so far, and Philly is having that kind of season where a rookie quarterback that has no business even taking snaps is going to win a ball game he shouldn't win (mainly because the Skins defense is so injured) and create a quarterback controversy right when Vick and Reid need that not to happen. Not saying they don't want to win...but everyone knows what the fans and the press in that town are going to be screaming for if that rookie wins while Vick is out. They are going to want Vick to stay out...

I'm inclined to agree with you. I think this is going to be the week for the Eagles and the Jets, but I'm not ballsy enough to actually pick them.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 17:42 banddirector

Jivaro wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 16:11:

Screwed up my fantasy football roster having those two teams and Tennessee go on the BYE at the same time. I have had Marshawn Lynch(RB), Chris Johnson(RB), Nate Wahington(WR) and Lawrence Tynes(K) all on my roster. I had to drop Tynes and Washington and replace them with Gould and Woodhead. I guess it could have been worse.

Ouch! That sucks. That's just bad luck - - did you trip a little old lady lately or something to bring on the bad karma? ;-)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 16:11 Jivaro

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 16:02 banddirector

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 15:15 Jivaro

My picks:
Miami, Atl, Tamba Bay, Dallas, Green Bay, Houston, Cincy, St Louis, New Orleans, Denver, New England, Baltimore, SF.

Upset of the week: Philly over Washington. Washington is terrible at home so far, and Philly is having that kind of season where a rookie quarterback that has no business even taking snaps is going to win a ball game he shouldn't win (mainly because the Skins defense is so injured) and create a quarterback controversy right when Vick and Reid need that not to happen. Not saying they don't want to win...but everyone knows what the fans and the press in that town are going to be screaming for if that rookie wins while Vick is out. They are going to want Vick to stay out...

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 14:58 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 14:30:
How many people have you known to actually drop bad habits?

Ok, dropping them like a bad transmission.

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 14:41:

Do divorces count?

As a buddy of mine one said so brilliantly on his divorce..."It would have been cheaper and way easier for me to just buy a house for some bitch that hated me from the beginning."

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 14:41 NegaDeath

Do divorces count?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 14:30 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 13:32 Cutter

Crusaders King 2 $10 and LOTR War in the North $5 at GMG today. Think I'ma grab CK2 finally.

And I don't know if it's the time of the season but holy fuck are people oblivious driving and even walking lately. Next person that walks into me because they're texting is going to get dropped like a bad habit.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 12:51 jdreyer

nin wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 10:55:
John McAfee: Batshit Insane.

Yeah, he was pretty psychopathic to begin with before he started using MDPV. Apparently that shit's worse than meth when it comes to frying your brain.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 11:39 mag

I feel like the Bills have a shot tonight, but I'm going to go along with everyone else and say the Dolphins.

So. Dolphins, Packers, Falcons, Bucs, Cowboys, Redskins, Rams, Bengals, Texans, Saints, Broncos, Colts, Ravens, 49ers.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 11:28 Cutter

Yeah, like I said last week, had a weird feeling about several of those picks anyway and this week is no different. And not picking the 49ers last week was merely an oversight, not prescience. Well let's get all up in someones snatch and do this thing!

Dolphins, Bengals, Texans, Rams, Cowboys, Bucs, Falcons, Packers, Redskins, Saints, Broncos, Pats, Ravens, 49ers.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 10:58 Verno

My picks for the week:

Dolphins, Falcons, Buccs, Cowboys, Packers, Texans, Chiefs, JETS, Redskins, Saints, Broncos, Patriots, Steelers, Bears

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo