Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's football Thursday, and the Giants are on a timely bye after back-to-back losses. I want to call out the sports media for doing a terrible job of pinpointing what's gone wrong for big blue lately, as I've seen reasons given like Eli having a "dead arm," the fact that Hakeem Nicks is hobbled, that Victor Cruz has been off-track, and similar things. These theories all ignore the old rule about football games being won and lost in the trenches, and it shouldn't take Vince Lombardi to see that the team has suffered breakdowns in pass protection on offense and has not generated sufficient pass rush on defense. Those are things the team has shown it can do, so there's reason to hope they get back on track.

As for last week's results, I am proud to have picked the Saints, though over a third of our experts picked that upset. On the other hand, I'm kicking myself for changing my pick from the Vikings after listening to pundits talking about how poorly Ponder was playing. Batman repeated his one-and-done picking, and Cutter can almost take credit for predicting the season's only tie by failing to choose a team in the 49ers/Rams game (weird, right?). Here are the results for last week, where many of us took different roads to arrive at the same destination: Darks 11-2-1; Blue, Creston, Jivaro, and mag 10-3-1; Verno 8-5-1; Cutter 7-6; and Batman 0-1.

This week I guarantee the Giants will not lose. Here are my other picks: Miami, Packers, Falcons, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Redskins, Rams, Bengals, Texans, Saints, Broncos, Patriots, Steelers, and 49ers.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Nightflies.
Stories: See an NBA game for $0.10 seriously 10 cents.
James Wan To Helm "MacGyver" Reboot.
Dickey caps unforgettable year with Cy Young. My favorite current Met honored.
Media: Belgian Player Misses 4 Shots at His Own Basket. Are their rules different?
James Bond Theme A Cappella.
Best Cosplay of All Time.
Epic Halloween Costume- The Rollercoaster.
Follow-up: 'Star Wars,' the once and future franchise. Thanks nin via Kotaku.
Exposure to light at night lowers cognitive function: study.
John McAfee says he didn't kill neighbor. Thanks WalterEgo.
Still on the Lam, John McAfee Says He's Now In Disguise. Thanks j.c.f.

View
17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2012, 17:56 mag

Jivaro wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 15:15:
My picks:
Miami, Atl, Tamba Bay, Dallas, Green Bay, Houston, Cincy, St Louis, New Orleans, Denver, New England, Baltimore, SF.

Upset of the week: Philly over Washington. Washington is terrible at home so far, and Philly is having that kind of season where a rookie quarterback that has no business even taking snaps is going to win a ball game he shouldn't win (mainly because the Skins defense is so injured) and create a quarterback controversy right when Vick and Reid need that not to happen. Not saying they don't want to win...but everyone knows what the fans and the press in that town are going to be screaming for if that rookie wins while Vick is out. They are going to want Vick to stay out...

I'm inclined to agree with you. I think this is going to be the week for the Eagles and the Jets, but I'm not ballsy enough to actually pick them.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 15, 10:45 Re: Out of the Blue rist3903
  3. Nov 15, 10:46  Re: Out of the Blue Creston
  4. Nov 15, 10:55   Re: Out of the Blue nin
  8. Nov 15, 12:51    Re: Out of the Blue jdreyer
  2. Nov 15, 10:45 Re: Out of the Blue Creston
  5. Nov 15, 10:58 Re: Out of the Blue Verno
  6. Nov 15, 11:28 Re: Out of the Blue Cutter
  7. Nov 15, 11:39 Re: Out of the Blue mag
  9. Nov 15, 13:32 Re: Out of the Blue Cutter
  10. Nov 15, 14:30  Re: Out of the Blue PHJF