Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Grand Theft Auto V Trailer

Rockstar Games now offers the promised second trailer from Grand Theft Auto V, an NSFW look at the game's take on urban renewal, friendly strangers offering directions, borrowing a buddy's car, domestic bliss, youthful hijinks, modern slang, puppies, skydiving, and more.

View
124 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

64. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 15:18 Quboid

Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:40:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:21:
I completely disagree with people saying that GTA 4 has poor gameplay or game mechanics or car handling or bad execution. I thought it was the best in the series so far. Probably in every single category.

The one that always baffles me is the cries of bad car handling. GTA4 was the first game that actually made you feel like you were driving a car with real WEIGHT, rather than a rotateable point that floated along. A power slide is actually tricky to pull off successfully in GTA4, as it should be (especially coming out of one. It's extremely easy to oversteer and completely bleed away all your momentum. This is accurately portrayed in GTA4.)

I guess everyone wants the arcade horseshit driving that is in SR3?

My worry is that Rockstar sees all those complaints and decides to go back to shitty no-realism driving mechanics... :\

Creston

GTA3 driving is more enjoyable, yet less realistic.
Mafia driving is more enjoyable, and similarly realistic.
Forza driving is more enjoyable, and more realistic.
Real driving is more enjoyable, and entirely realistic.

It may be more realistic and that's a good thing* but either it's in a place that IMHO is the worst of both worlds, or the problem isn't to do with how realistic it is. I can't put my finger on what exactly bugs me about it, driving through treacle is the best metaphor I can think of.

* It's not the be-all-and-end-all, it's not like the rest of GTA is about realism but still a good thing.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 15:14 nin

KTR wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:53:
Awesome trailer. I get a strong GTA:SA vibe from this, which is a good thing.

I felt that also. But I will miss Liberty City.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

62. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 15:04 Cutter

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 13:54:
Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 13:32:
PC version... at least a year later... arggghhh...

Why is there so much god damned FUD going on here about this game? I understand it's exciting and everything guys.. but take a second to consider the amount of *consistency* rockstar has shown with this series in the past! It's one of the reasons this series has been so successful.

A major GTA title has *NEVER* came out on PC more than 7-8 months after it's console-exclusive original debut. This is a fact. I do not know why everyone thinks that this is going to change all of a sudden with this title.. maybe it's the whole 2012 thing creeping up on us that's got everyone so shaken. Maybe the world's gonna end in a month and a week! Well, it sounds a bit more plausible if we just forget the fact that every doomsday theory/theorist up until now has been flat-out wrong... right?

Well there have been at least six extinction level events that we know of. And we know it'll happen again one day. I expect things to start getting a little harrier around the globe over the next several weeks. I'm stocking up some good wines atm. If it is the end I'm going to go out drunk as hell on the finest wines available to humanity!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

61. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 15:01 siapnar

KTR wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:53:
Awesome trailer. I get a strong GTA:SA vibe from this, which is a good thing. More action sequences in this trailer alone than the entire game of GTA4.
Yeah, that GTA:SA vibe is tingling me in all the right parts.

I have projectile dysfunction.

60. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:59 JediPunisher

We all know this game has 3 playable characters... but why not a 4th?
I want to play as that dog... biting, crapping, and pissing.

59. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:53 KTR

Awesome trailer. I get a strong GTA:SA vibe from this, which is a good thing. More action sequences in this trailer alone than the entire game of GTA4.  

58. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:47 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:34:
Well, considering the first Red Dead was console-only (though far less popular), I don't know how you could make the assumption that the sequel was coming to PC. GTA, on the other hand, has both its roots in PC and an established routine of the major titles being ported with superior features 6-8 months later. I don't blame you for being cynical, and it would be a major disappointment if it fell through, but there's no reason to think that won't be the case this time, as well.

Nothing cynical about it. Rockstar has said that their ports are usually made by spare dev teams and if one isn't free it's a question of the financials. Hopefully the financials are there to justify it but I don't think Max Payne 3 did very well and they never bothered to port RDR so I don't think its a given. It might be likely but like I said, I'd rather just wait and see than be really disappointed.

Personally I think PCs have been on a serious upswing for the past three years so I would hope it does make financial sense, most of the serious work will be done and I'd like to think most PC ports are very profitable thanks to DD.

The one that always baffles me is the cries of bad car handling. GTA4 was the first game that actually made you feel like you were driving a car with real WEIGHT, rather than a rotateable point that floated along. A power slide is actually tricky to pull off successfully in GTA4, as it should be (especially coming out of one. It's extremely easy to oversteer and completely bleed away all your momentum. This is accurately portrayed in GTA4.)

I like both approaches to be honest, sometimes I want a realistic skill testing chase and other times its nice to just fuck around.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

57. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:46 ItBurn

descender wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:44:

There was nothing wrong with the arcade feel to the handling in any previous GTA games... but I don't know where you get off calling what they did in GTA 4 "realistic". That's hilarious. Maybe you downloaded the "Realistic Driving and Flying" mod and... forgot?

What really irks me is the follow camera get's worse every year too. Slower and lower. I have to drive around holding the right analog stick slightlyback so I can see the road ahead of me, extremely annoying.

There was nothing wrong with the arcade style indeed, but the new one is just much better. It's not real-life realistic obviously, but it's a lot more realistic than in the prior games. Like Creston said, it feels like you're driving for real, and it requires more skill and planning.

56. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:45 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:40:
I completely disagree with people saying that GTA 4 has poor gameplay or game mechanics or car handling or bad execution. I thought it was the best in the series so far. Probably in every single category.

My worry is that Rockstar sees all those complaints and decides to go back to shitty no-realism driving mechanics... :\

Creston

Creston for Pres 2016!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

55. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:44 Quboid

jimnms wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 12:48:
Quboid wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 11:58:
I've yet to play more than about an hour of the GTA4 campaign thanks to the lousy controls and driving physics so I'm not holding my breath. It does look cool but a shitty PC port (and I'm usually defending such things) coupled with driving being unpleasant in a primarily driving game means I'll wait this one out.

Try this mod. The default handling physics were ok to me, but after using that mod, I can't go back to the stock handling. The high damage option in the mod is still too forgiving, so I used an editor to boost the damage multiplier to all cars to make it more realistic. It's much more fun and challenging running from the cops knowing your car isn't going to drive away from a 60 MPH head on crash.

I tried that - it's an improvement, but general feeling of driving through treacle is still there.

FWIW, I found TDU2 to be a bit off, but nothing that stopped me enjoying the game - it had plenty of other options for that!

- Quboid

54. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:44 descender

There was nothing wrong with the arcade feel to the handling in any previous GTA games... but I don't know where you get off calling what they did in GTA 4 "realistic". That's hilarious. Maybe you downloaded the "Realistic Driving and Flying" mod and... forgot?

What really irks me is the follow camera get's worse every year too. Slower and lower. I have to drive around holding the right analog stick slightlyback so I can see the road ahead of me, extremely annoying.

53. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:40 Creston

Creston

52. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:38 descender

If you wanted to drive weird floaty boats through the streets of Manhattan... GTA4 was definitely your game.

Thank god for the PC modding community... and Steam sales.

51. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:34 jacobvandy

Well, considering the first Red Dead was console-only (though far less popular), I don't know how you could make the assumption that the sequel was coming to PC. GTA, on the other hand, has both its roots in PC and an established routine of the major titles being ported with superior features 6-8 months later. I don't blame you for being cynical, and it would be a major disappointment if it fell through, but there's no reason to think that won't be the case this time, as well.  

50. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:29 Prez

It looks pretty good I guess. I would still prefer Red Dead Redemption on PC though.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

49. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:23 Verno

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 13:54:
Why is there so much god damned FUD going on here about this game? I understand it's exciting and everything guys.. but take a second to consider the amount of *consistency* rockstar has shown with this series in the past! It's one of the reasons this series has been so successful.

I used to think the same thing until we didn't get a port of Red Dead Redemption. If you want to make assumptions fair enough but some people aren't going to take it for granted. The days of Rockstar having a spare dev team port older titles could be behind us for all we know. Dev costs continue to rise and their publisher wasn't doing wonderful last time I checked, they might want them rotating products consistently. I hope a PC port is in the wings like previous GTA titles but times have changed, I certainly don't think its a guarantee.

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than greatly disappointed like RDR.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

48. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:21 ItBurn

47. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:19 theyarecomingforyou

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:11:
Again, the evidence is in the history of this franchise and rockstar's handling of it. Look at the last 2D GTA titles. They had TONS more stuff to do than GTA3 did. It's very much like Intel's strategy (Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock) The "Tick" in this case, was GTA3.. a new engine, new hurdles to overcome with it to fully take advantage of it. "Tock" was Vice City/San Andreas, where you can see they really made the most of what they had. With GTAIV we entered another "Tick" phase.. meaning shiny new engine.. but not as much to do as before. GTAV is a "Tock" phase, meaning they have experience under their belt with this new engine, they know how to present it in new ways and develop more engrossing gameplay with it, just as they did with Vice City/San Andreas.

How can you say you've seen no new gameplay elements since GTAIV with whats been unveiled about GTAV?
I really enjoyed GTA; I was a little put off by GTAII but it was actually pretty decent; GTA3 was terrible; Vice City was excellent (if a bit graphically dated); San Andreas was even more graphically dated and added irritating new macro-management elements and the theme was terrible; GTAIV had a good theme but was very poorly executed. So GTA has always been a series that had more potential than was ever realised - it was only with Vice City that I thought they struck the balance right.

My point is, I've not seen enough to alleviate my concerns. Obviously I'll be checking out gameplay videos and awaiting news on the PC version but I can usually tell from trailers whether I'm going to enjoy a game or not.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

46. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:13 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:06:
Was it 7 to 8 months? I thought it was a year, but I didn't look it up. Okay, so wait 8 months then. Much better....
Even assuming that we get a PC port - which after the flop that was Max Payne 3 certainly isn't a given - it will be released at the end of the year, which means it will be alongside Microsoft's next gen console (possibly Sony's too). It's unlikely to be a good port, which means we'll have a shitty X360 port when next-gen titles like Watchdogs will be offering real progress.

GTA is the herpes of PC gaming - people really enjoy the sex but they're always pissed off when their penis swells up and they have to explain it to their girlfriend.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

45. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 14:12 Bradley

jimnms wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 12:48:
Try this mod. The default handling physics were ok to me, but after using that mod, I can't go back to the stock handling. The high damage option in the mod is still too forgiving, so I used an editor to boost the damage multiplier to all cars to make it more realistic. It's much more fun and challenging running from the cops knowing your car isn't going to drive away from a 60 MPH head on crash.

Wow, this makes me want to play the game again! Imagine being able to use the breaks AND steering, both at the SAME time!

124 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo